Has last nights result pushed you over the edge?

No edges pushed over .. I went in to this season with the belief that we have a mediocre and average squad capable of a mid table finish, with a chairman that is detached from reality that will push the premier league promotion chase down our throats and that we as fans will probably be overcharged to watch average football

Still in that mindset lol

It’s not changed anything for me in the sense of my support for the club - the badge, the shirt, the history, its place in my family life etc - but for me it was an(other) overdue reality check re: this group of players I think.

My grand hope now is that we can grind out enough joyless draws and 93rd-minute 1-0 robberies to survive any potential points deduction this year, and that the majority of this very crusty side are moved on in the summer. I’d HAPPILY take a difficult lower-mid-table season with a newly assembled team of less experienced players next year if it meant sowing the seeds for a push on from 2023 onwards.

The grand plan HAS FAILED. Done. Kaput. It happens, but the club now needs to acknowledge that at the highest levels, take a minute to get over it, face forward and start getting the pieces aligned for a new strategic push over the next five years. The longer we keep trying to Frankenstein the twitching cadaver of a thanks-for-the-memories squad into some sort of triumphant afterlife, the deeper the rot creeps in - the atmosphere is already palpably drooping, and attendances won’t take long to follow suit if we don’t act decisively.

Call me foolish, but that’s where my hope and expectation lie now - that we will do that. We have to. At the end of the day, it’s a club for us, but it’s a business for them. And from a business perspective, they need to get hold and address the fact that it’s faltering. It’s not too late, but radical restructuring is needed over the next six months.

I hope there are enough other fans in my position because I suspect, if our financial situation is as complicated as it sounds, we may be looking at a team we barely recognise next season. I’ll be choosing to take that as a positive, as alien as it might feel, and I honestly won’t be expecting miracles like we’ve painfully let ourselves wish for over the past five years.

That’s ok. We had 20 years of expecting nowt before DC. As fans, we can cope with that. We *can’t* cope with whatever this smoke-and-mirrors moneyball nonsense is. You can have our modest disposable income *or* our endless patience and goodwill - NOT BOTH.

I’m alright with Monk having a crack with some new lads because I honestly don’t think anybody could get a consistent tune out of this squad. It’s absolutely all over the shop - in various areas of the pitch we’ve got quality where there’s no desire, determination where there’s no guile, loyalty where there’s no fitness, and hunger where there’s no cohesion. It’s like we’ve turned up on Ready Steady Cook with an out-of-date fillet steak, half a bag of Skittles and a banana that turned out to be a dog chew toy, hoping to win by peeing in everyone else’s food when they’re not looking.

So no, I’m not done. Not by a long shot. But Christ on a massive Aldi space hopper, can we *please* finally let the sun go down on Project Carlos. It. Is. OVER. So be it! Get on with phase two, ffs. While some of your ‘customers’ are still here, ideally.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m glad Monk has called out the players. But at the same time doing so shows he’s lost the dressing room. He sounded a man defeated and he’s only been here a few months. Worrying. 

is there actually many managers that could hold this lot for an extended length of time tho tbh.

Maybe he's lost the dressing room or maybe this group of players have had it too comfortable for too long and cba to put the effort it.

39 minutes ago, ReadingOwl said:

The book stops with the Chairman - it’s all his fault. Even though he had the best of intentions.

Totally - I cant mitigate for him. He and he alone, has made a complete mess of it. Recruitment, retention, both managerial and players.

The Club needs/needed leadership and direction. Not just money. And, he hasn’t provided it.

All the side issues flow, ultimately from him. What a shambles - and what’s next? Does anyone know?

All that money spent - and no plan.

* There, I’ve said it now. But it had to be said.

I terms of league position , we are in exactly the same place as when gray was sacked when DC took over. Millions and millions of pounds spent and we have not progressed what so ever. 

Frightening.

Guest Bulgaria

I am under the weather so maybe that's something to do with it but I can honestly say that when I woke up from my pill induced sleep and saw the result...

I couldn't care less.

The problem has to be the players, same team/players for years but tried and tested different managers. We need to start again and get the crap out of our club. As much as I like reach, bannan, Westwood, ff and many more they’re all procrastinating here and we need a refresh start, cash in where we can and start to build something new.

• Like 2

I know the issues run much deeper than what I'm about to post, and that this is but a tiny part of our wider problem... but with those caveats in mind:

The epitome and fantastic representation of our problems can be seen by just looking at Tom Lees. He's captain and yet must be one of the most uninspiring "leaders" I've ever seen. I think since Loovens has left, he's put in a dozen, maybe 18 "that was quality from him" appearances. I think Börner (who has a thread on here calling out a couple of poor recent performances tbf), has had about half that number of class appearances since joining 6 months ago. And yet, Lees is still the "leader" of our club... even given the captain's armband when he came on yesterday. And I know the stock Owlstalk response to this is "you don't have to be shouty to lead"... but has anyone really seen any evidence to suggest he's anything other than a quiet professional who has struggled to lead even just the back four since Glenn left? 'Cause I sure has hell haven't. 

I'm in no way saying Lees is responsible for our meagre result yesterday and stagnation. He's a good part of the squad and a decent Championship centre back. But he is so symptomatic of our problems. Heart of a mouse. No battle, no bottle, and just a continuation of more of the same as we drift into malaise.

It's so grim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

No I don’t moan about the players, one look at the majority of threads on here, would suggest it’s not me moaning about the players. Sure, I despair about some of the signings we make, some of the money we waste, but in the main I’m supportive. 
Others seem to have more knee jerk reactions. For example, I suggested Bruce’s transfer dealings were OK, but perhaps a bit of a mixed bag, while others were generally lauding it as excellent business. Now, 6 months in, those same people are accusing those same players for being bottlers, and demanding a clear out. I just take a more reasoned approach.

What do you think last nights outburst at the team will achieve?

It may achieve the sweet sum of f all. 

But handling them with kids gloves (which has been going on for far too long) has not exactly achieved the desired results. 

It was about time that someone called them out for what they are/have become - a bunch of overpaid wasters who are cruising towards another season of abject mediocrity. 

What he said last night is what most of us having been thinking now for a good 12 or so months (perhaps longer). 

Is Monk the man? I don't flipping know. None of us really do. 

What I can say with reasonable certainity is that, if you do get rid of him, and replace him with someone else, then these players will screw the next guy over, just like they did Carlos, Jos and their "mate" Bullen. 

22 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I terms of league position , we are in exactly the same place as when gray was sacked when DC took over. Millions and millions of pounds spent and we have not progressed what so ever. 

Frightening.

Absolutely spot on.The worst is yet to come i fear. WTF:WTF:

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I think we will make the play offs again.

Every team has a bad run. That’s us now. We will dig in and have a good run soon and get back up there

At the start of the season you said we'd finish 18th :duntmatter:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Pearson only takes job where he thinks he can win - he’s not coming back to Hillsborough, too tough for him.

It would be an unforgiving task but Watford weren't doing too well when he went there.