Luongo

What’s everyone’s thoughts on his first 6 months?

When he initially signed I thought he would eventually take Hutchinson’s place. I read a stat that he’d made the most tackles in the championship last season? But we seem to use him as a number 10. I really don’t see him as a number 10. Never looks comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas with his back to goal. 

Anyone know where he played for QPR?

He’s probably the best CM at the club for me. Very good engine, can tackle, can pass, can score. Suitable to play in a 2 or a 3. All of our other options may have one aspect of their game that’s better than his, but none have his all around game. 

Wish we had a partner for him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

When he initially signed I thought he would eventually take Hutchinson’s place. I read a stat that he’d made the most tackles in the championship last season? But we seem to use him as a number 10. I really don’t see him as a number 10. Never looks comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas with his back to goal. 

I agree with you. He is more of a stopper. Likes a challenge, breaking up play, but is cultured enough to spot a decent forward pass.

If we are sticking with these underachievers he should play as a forward playing defensive mid anchoring the midfield with Bannan and Lee / whoever else in front of him.

11 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Mates a QPR fan and was gutted when they let him go, said he was a good box to box player.

3 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

He’s probably the best CM at the club for me. Very good engine, can tackle, can pass, can score. Suitable to play in a 2 or a 3. All of our other options may have one aspect of their game that’s better than his, but none have his all around game. 

Wish we had a partner for him. 

That’s my general feeling. He’s a proper box to box midfielder that we’ve needed, but we seem to play him too advanced and he can’t impact games as much 

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

I don't think he's once played as a number 10 and I'm very confused that you think he's been utilised as such. 

Classic box to box for me

I thought Luongo was suspect when he first arrived. Could pick a pass, but was missing defensively a few times, particularly against Everton, just wasnt marking his man.  He's got better tho, more consistent all round. Fair play to him for that.

Him and Bannan playing ahead of Hutch makes sense to me as a balance central midfield.

Problem becomes Reach at that point. I'd go back to playing Harris wide left now he's had a couple of games rest. But right wing needs to be a goal threat with Fletch out. Neither Reach nor Murphy are that on a regular basis. I know he's not some's flavour o the month, but Nando would be the ideal one, but it seems like Monk's not willing to put the arm round him that he needs. That leaves me wondering what the new kid Hidalgo can do..

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Given our current squad we can’t afford to let Luongo be an anchor in midfield. He has more running in him than anybody else in the midfield and needs to be allowed to use it

On the flip-side though you could use his engine as the anchor to screen the back four and the play Bannan further forwards so he's more useful in the final third. If we play three in the middle then add Lee to break the line between midfield and the font man.

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I don't think he's once played as a number 10 and I'm very confused that you think he's been utilised as such. 

Classic box to box for me

He’s been used as the more advanced midfielder when played in a 3. 

2 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

I agree with you. He is more of a stopper. Likes a challenge, breaking up play, but is cultured enough to spot a decent forward pass.

If we are sticking with these underachievers he should play as a forward playing defensive mid anchoring the midfield with Bannan and Lee / whoever else in front of him.

Absolutely agree although that anchor role wouldn't work as Bannan would still drop behind him. No matter where Bannan is instructed to play he ends up thinking he is some sort of latter day Lothar Matthaus

• Haha 1