2 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

A lot of others will get the plaudits, mainly defenders, and rightly so. In fact noone had a bad game. Even murphy before his goal was playing well.

But special mention to Lee. He has not played for ages but still shows that he offers something completely different. Finds pockets of space, great with the ball and still has those wing mirrors which stuart gray said about him. Whether he still has the legs to continuously play and whether this will be his last season or not it's good to see he is still very part of the team

Didn't know we had signed him, must have been poor though, didn't notice him.

• Haha 1

Monk has done absolutely the right thing putting this midfield together. 

Lee and Luongo have made us look miles better. 

I think other managers word have rigidly stuck to picking a failing team. 

All credit to monk on this. 

As for Lee, I don't see why he can't keep playing for another two seasons after this. He is only 30. 

He is a brilliant player at this level. 

Having legs all across the midfield 5 makes a massive difference.

They all covered lots of ground but Lee and Luongo were everywhere.

Impressed Lee did the full 90 and still trying to get forward near the end.

Monk might just be realising what a good player he is 

• Like 2

He'll have much better games than he did today. In the 1st half, he was particularly poor in possession. He, Luongo and Reach were all culprits of that in the early stages. 

But, it's everything else he brings. By playing him or Luongo (or both), it allows other players to perform more specific, because he's such a superb all-round midfielder. As is Luongo. 

I still maintain, in Carlos' first two years, Kieran Lee was the best midfielder in the division. 

He's still got that same energy, same knack of finding those half spaces. And in the 2nd half, his composure on the ball improved, and it was no coincidence, so did our offensive play. 

I'd love for us to bring in a player capable of playing that lone striker role, and us finally nailing down a 4-3-3 system, which allows Bannan to dictate things, without having to perform every other role in midfield, like he often does. 

-----------Bannan----------

------Luongo---Lee--------

Murphy/Harris---------Reach

----------Wickham?------------

That's a set-up with balance, energy, a variety of threats and a bite in central areas. 

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

He'll have much better games than he did today. In the 1st half, he was particularly poor in possession. He, Luongo and Reach were all culprits of that in the early stages. 

But, it's everything else he brings. By playing him or Luongo (or both), it allows other players to perform more specific, because he's such a superb all-round midfielder. As is Luongo. 

I still maintain, in Carlos' first two years, Kieran Lee was the best midfielder in the division. 

He's still got that same energy, same knack of finding those half spaces. And in the 2nd half, his composure on the ball improved, and it was no coincidence, so did our offensive play. 

I'd love for us to bring in a player capable of playing that lone striker role, and us finally nailing down a 4-3-3 system, which allows Bannan to dictate things, without having to perform every other role in midfield, like he often does. 

-----------Bannan----------

------Luongo---Lee--------

Murphy/Harris---------Reach

----------Wickham?------------

That's a set-up with balance, energy, a variety of threats and a bite in central areas. 

As I have mentioned in a different thread the wind was bang in our faces first half , that made a big difference today

He was very instrumental in the two seasons we finished in the Top 6. No surprise that the last two seasons have been mixed bags with him being unavailable for the most part. This season has seen him struggle to impose himself for a variety of reasons not least that it must be difficult to get back to your best when you’ve missed the best part of 18 months football. This could very well be his last season here but between now and the end of the season he could well have a very big role still to play?

So pleased for the lad to be back in the side and fit. Reads the game so well and always in the right positions. Might have lost some pace but hasn't lost anything up top. Needs to remain in the side.  BTW Luongo is going to be one of our smartest signings in some time. Gets stuck in and likes getting forward.

19 minutes ago, OwlsAustralia said:

So pleased for the lad to be back in the side and fit. Reads the game so well and always in the right positions. Might have lost some pace but hasn't lost anything up top. Needs to remain in the side.  BTW Luongo is going to be one of our smartest signings in some time. Gets stuck in and likes getting forward.

100% agree re Luongo- I was at pitch level halfway line for the forest game in Dec and saw first hand what he brings. Things you don’t necessarily see from high in the stands (well I don’t). He totally bossed that game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hugeowl said:

As I have mentioned in a different thread the wind was bang in our faces first half , that made a big difference today

Perhaps.

You don't notice those things watching at home. 

Just seemed to me, after the break, they were a lot braver on the ball. In the 1st half, we treated it like a hot potato. May have been the wind against Leeds in the 2nd half disrupted their ability to press quickly.