Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Agree with you but at Brentford they have little expectation from the fans being in the Championship is success to a degree.

For Wednesday to follow it we would have to do both buy for today so we can challenge and satisfy our fans and buy for the future.

They are to be applauded it will be interesting to see how they fare with the new ground coming online and a new expectation with the fans.   Exciting times for them.

I don't think the expectation of the fans comes into it at all.

We've been outside the Premiership for 20 years now, and despite what's so often cited as being our fans' expectations about us playing at that level again, we still get over 20k for home games and terrific away support.

20 minutes ago, cowl said:

We've been outside the Premiership for 20 years now, and despite what's so often cited as being our fans' expectations about us playing at that level again, we still get over 20k for home games and terrific away support.

But we should be getting at least another 15,000 fans coming, and I'm confident (ground capacity allowing and promotion) we would. 

There are many fans not coming to the games who go along with the view of 'They don't come and see me when I'm bad'.

It looks like the only reason our chances of getting Wickham are still alive is because the player wants to come here.

However DC being DC probably knows this and is using it to try and keep the price down .

Also might need to shift someone out.

I think where Hodgson says the deal has to be right this is probably the scenario.

Other clubs offering better deals but player wants to come to us.

43 minutes ago, cowl said:

But still a large portion of our fanbase go batshit crazy when we drop out of the top 6.

If we eventually sign him, I wonder how much the brinkmanship has cost us. Especially if we finish the season  4-6 points outside the top 6 and consider Wickhams potential contribution in the Blackburn and Wigan games, both there for the taking before we surrendered, 4-6 points dropped.

Edited by striker

16 minutes ago, striker said:

If we eventually sign him, I wonder how much the brinkmanship has cost us. Especially if we finish the season  4-6 points outside the top 6 and consider Wickhams potential contribution in the Blackburn and Wigan games, both there for the taking before we surrendered, 4-6 points dropped.

Don’t think it’s a case of brinkmanship, I think we have been waiting for Palace to Agree he can go , he has been on the bench the last few games 

1 minute ago, hugeowl said:

Don’t think it’s a case of brinkmanship, I think we have been waiting for Palace to Agree he can go , he has been on the bench the last few games 

It's like the old days when we only signed players on a Friday to save paying their wages for the full week.:Chansiri:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

I thought they'd agreed at the beginning of the window he could go on loan. As nobody agreed a deal, still their player to use as they wish. 

I just wonder though how different January would have been if we got our ducks in a row and business done early. I know lots of clubs in the same position, but we always seem slow to act. 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

But we should be getting at least another 15,000 fans coming, and I'm confident (ground capacity allowing and promotion) we would. 

There are many fans not coming to the games who go along with the view of 'They don't come and see me when I'm bad'.

But how does this pose a problem to us adopting a more long-term plan, such as a Brentford model? It doesn't. Not in the slightest.