Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

You’re spot on!

Can you imagine If we like Brentford played younger prospects in the hope that a run in the team would expedite their development, despite them maybe having a bad game in that run? 

Our fans would lose their poo , maybe even sing from the terraces for an older (maybe better at time but certainly not with any future) player to play in his spot. 

Oh wait, you don’t have to imagine it, that happened. And not just to any younger player, a local lad who’s Wednesday through and through. 

You're not trying to equate Luhukay's approach to blooding younger players to what Brentford do, are you?

The inexplicable freezing out of a crowd favourite in Westwood (and Hutchinson) played a huge role in the atmosphere at the time. If Brentford habitually don't pick established crowd favourites without plausible explanation in order to play others for the sole purpose of developing that player despite their development and performance going backwards rather than forwards (and still persist with playing them), then fair enough. But this isn't what Brentford do, and as such there's no comparison.

And there's also a whole world of difference between picking up the likes of Nielsen, Baker, and Thorniley after being released from Forest, Cardiff, and Everton respectively, and playing them, and what Brentford do with the signings of younger talent - most of which they pay money for, and often big money.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cowl said:

You're not trying to equate Luhukay's approach to blooding younger players to what Brentford do, are you?

The inexplicable freezing out of a crowd favourite in Westwood (and Hutchinson) played a huge role in the atmosphere at the time. If Brentford habitually don't pick established crowd favourites without plausible explanation in order to play others for the sole purpose of developing that player despite their development and performance going backwards rather than forwards (and still persist with playing them), then fair enough. But this isn't what Brentford do, and as such there's no comparison.

And there's also a whole world of difference between picking up the likes of Nielsen, Baker, and Thorniley after being released from Forest, Cardiff, and Everton respectively, and playing them, and what Brentford do with the signings of younger talent - most of which they pay money for, and often big money.

I just typed out a long reply but it disappeared, hopefully the sites under strain of a signing or two.... short answer, I’ve not given it as much thought as it looks like you had. But I stand by fact we as a fan base have too high an expectation and too little patience to buy younger unpolished diamonds and let them develop in first team football. 

Imagine we’d bought Maddison (far from unproven but decent example) and he takes Bannans spot. Bannan drops to the bench. How many bad / Average games before Bannan Is being demanded to come back in by our fans? Bannan has no upside in transfer fee or development but Maddison could be worth 10-15m in a season?

Brentford would persist with the prospect, we would be singing for Bannan to return. That’s the difference. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I just typed out a long reply but it disappeared, hopefully the sites under strain of a signing or two.... short answer, I’ve not given it as much thought as it looks like you had. But I stand by fact we as a fan base have too high an expectation and too little patience to buy younger unpolished diamonds and let them develop in first team football. 

Imagine we’d bought Maddison (far from unproven but decent example) and he takes Bannans spot. Bannan drops to the bench. How many bad / Average games before Bannan Is being demanded to come back in by our fans? Bannan has no upside in transfer fee or development but Maddison could be worth 10-15m in a season?

Brentford would persist with the prospect, we would be singing for Bannan to return. That’s the difference. 

Of course there would be uproar...they don’t even play in the same position!!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
9 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

5 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Say what now? 

I know Bannan hardly plays where I’d expect a CM or ACM to play but think this lad does but he can 4FC6B1E5-DC1A-4C86-831C-E7118A7A524B.thumb.png.301ac875ba8b634f32dc0991d24bb292.pngalso play wide forward too...  

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

But you've just generated an example of something that Brentford don't even do. Brentford don't just persist with under-performing players. They have a squad which is competitive.

What your describing is anti-competitive. Picking one player over another irrespective of form. Of course it frustrates the crowd - and not just our crowd, but all crowds. And we're talking about all players here, young and old.

8 minutes ago, cowl said:

But you've just generated an example of something that Brentford don't even do. Brentford don't just persist with under-performing players. They have a squad which is competitive.

What your describing is anti-competitive. Picking one player over another irrespective of form. Of course it frustrates the crowd - and not just our crowd, but all crowds. And we're talking about all players here, young and old.

Sure thing. Let’s agree to disagree.