Connor Wickham Signs - OFFICIAL

Guest addedtime
1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

So Wickham is on a decent whack, £40K per week? - Total guess.

He's extremely injury prone.

We agree to take him on loan until the end of May.

Total cash cost:- circa £700K.  Total FFP loss £700K  No sell on value.  Just £700K tipped down the drain.

Similarly, we could go for the best striker in league One or a good youngster that's not quite going to make it in the PL for lets say £3m.  Give him a 4.5 year contract and wages of say £20K per week.  Cash cost to the end of June (our year end) of £3m plus £400k wages.  But FFP cost of £3m amortised for the 6 months of a 4.5 year contract = 333K + wages + total cost of £733K.

So from an FFP point of view, one method costs you £700K down the drain.  The other costs you £733K and you have an asset that may appreciate in value.

This is where we continually get it wrong.  Money spunked on loan players.  Money spunked on players that are of an age where they won't appreciate in value.

The likes of SUFC, Norwich and Brentford have shown us the way.  Even WBA, a club with parachute payments has caught on.

It might be 700k well spent if he scores goals to help us avoid relegation.

2 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Total cash cost:- circa £700K.  Total FFP loss £700K  No sell on value.  Just £700K tipped down the drain.

Similarly, we could go for the best striker in league One or a good youngster that's not quite going to make it in the PL for lets say £3m.  Give him a 4.5 year contract and wages of say £20K per week.  Cash cost to the end of June (our year end) of £3m plus £400k wages.  But FFP cost of £3m amortised for the 6 months of a 4.5 year contract = 333K + wages + total cost of £733K.

So from an FFP point of view, one method costs you £700K down the drain.  The other costs you £733K and you have an asset that may appreciate in value.

This is where we continually get it wrong.  Money spunked on loan players.  Money spunked on players that are of an age where they won't appreciate in value.

The likes of SUFC, Norwich and Brentford have shown us the way.  Even WBA, a club with parachute payments has caught on.

The best striker on League 1 is Ivan Toney, he will probably move for north of 10m, possible double knowing Peterborough.

Just now, addedtime said:

It might be 700k well spent if he scores goals to help us avoid relegation.

It may well be.

But similarly he might get injured after one minute.

Also, the player you buy may score the goals you need to avoid relegation.

You have to have a strategy and a vision.  Its no good keeping making the same mistakes for 20 years.  If you have a strategy and a vision like Brentford and then implement it successfully you are not worried about FFP or relegation or point deductions.

It seems ridiculous to try and solve your short term plight by adopting a strategy that has got you into this mess in the first place.

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

The best striker on League 1 is Ivan Toney, he will probably move for north of 10m, possible double knowing Peterborough.

That may well be correct but doesn't really detract from my point.  I am sure there are dozens of strikers under 23 with potential that we could pick up for circa £3m that have the potential to get considerably better.

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Well the chairman came out this morning and said Toney wouldn't be leaving for anything less than 12 mill........

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

That may well be correct but doesn't really detract from my point.  I am sure there are dozens of strikers under 23 with potential that we could pick up for circa £3m that have the potential to get considerably better.

I agree with you regarding players with potential and cost comparison.

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

It may well be.

But similarly he might get injured after one minute.

Also, the player you buy may score the goals you need to avoid relegation.

You have to have a strategy and a vision.  Its no good keeping making the same mistakes for 20 years.  If you have a strategy and a vision like Brentford and then implement it successfully you are not worried about FFP or relegation or point deductions.

It seems ridiculous to try and solve your short term plight by adopting a strategy that has got you into this mess in the first place.

Bang on. Can you now just email it to chansiri?

2 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Well the chairman came out this morning and said Toney wouldn't be leaving for anything less than 12 mill........

He won't be leaving then.

But Peterborough are another great example.

Imagine if a club that has spent the resources we had over the past 4 seasons had followed the model of Brentford and Peterborough.  We'd have been buying youngsters of a far better pedigree would have sold a few for mega bucks and would have no FFP concerns, a squad with a high value and most likely we'd be a division higher.

19 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Similarly, we could go for the best striker in league One or a good youngster that's not quite going to make it in the PL for lets say £3m.  Give him a 4.5 year contract and wages of say £20K per week.  Cash cost to the end of June (our year end) of £3m plus £400k wages.  But FFP cost of £3m amortised for the 6 months of a 4.5 year contract = 333K + wages = total FFP cost of £733K.

That doesn't take into account the benefit we get off loaning out Rhodes

I'd dearly love for us to copy Brentford's approach.

It isn't that it's particularly complicated really, but it's principled and they stick to it.

But more to the point, it's proving to be successful for them both financially and on the pitch too.

One great additional consequence of their approach is they have very little need for the over-priced loan market. In fact, I don't think they've used it for a number of seasons now (well, at least for bringing players in).

As it is for us though, trying to manage our striking options between now and May, and assuming we've not really been seriously looking at talent in Leagues One and Two, I'm not opposed to us bringing Wickham in.

I'd like to think we could embrace a more forward thinking Brentford-style approach, but I doubt there'd be the necessary commitment to this from Chansiri.

Edited by cowl

6 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Classic Wednesday. Leave it to the last minute and then it all falls apart

Nothing to do with our approach. Palace have waited until the last minute to do any deal in case their planned incomings don't happen or if there are injuries to players. It's why deals across the leagues are only just starting to get done now. 

Edited by Minton

Just now, cowl said:

I'd dearly love for us to copy Brentford's approach.

It's that it's particularly complicated really, but it's principled and they stick to it.

But more to the point, it's proving to be successful for them both financially and on the pitch too.

One great additional consequence of their approach is they have very little need for the over-priced loan market. In fact, I don't think they've used it for a number of seasons now (well, at least for bringing players in).

As is it is for us though, trying to manage our striking options between now and May, and assuming we've not really been seriously looking at talent in Leagues One and Two, I'm not opposed to us bringing Wickham in.

I'd like to think we could embrace a more forward thinking Brentford-style approach, but I doubt there'd be the necessary commitment to this from Chansiri.

Agree with you but at Brentford they have little expectation from the fans being in the Championship is success to a degree.

For Wednesday to follow it we would have to do both buy for today so we can challenge and satisfy our fans and buy for the future.

They are to be applauded it will be interesting to see how they fare with the new ground coming online and a new expectation with the fans.   Exciting times for them.