Concerns about Garry Monk

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Sort it out Garry, and try and act with a bit more decorum

Maybe as he was a cb his focus and strengths are defending, not losing etc.

He seems more concerned about opps than scoring ourselves, although the positive is realising iorfa is a great prospect at cb.

We seem to score 1 and conceed 1 most games so hes probably better suited to keeping a struggling side up than getting a mid/top half side in the top 6.

I agree with o.p, especially with front 3.

Harris has been quiet on the left for many weeks and needed switching to right. He's moved to the right with ff left and harris scores and we nearly win.

Ff is ideal for left of 433, he talks about many factors but fact is we were awful 1st half until ff came on.

Ff looked lively when introduced, same as vs swansea when he scored.

Even without ff on the left our left side was carved open for the brum goal so we may as well offer something the other way. These are the main facts.

Keep it simple, play the best players in their best positions, drop reach, palmer etc when their chances have expired and give harris and ff a chance to perform in a front 3.

Edited by Ash77

My concerns are with the ownership and our future rather than with Monk.  Monk is a solid championship manager, anyone hoping for better at this time is a bit unrealistic. 

My worry is since the bubble burst 2.5 years ago we have been trudging along in sh*t and it doesn’t look like getting better anytime soon. My hope is the points deduction isn’t a big one and that Chansiri decides its time to sell to someone who will bring some optimism back to the club. With things like better ticket pricing and a stadium upgrade or even a new build. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but the interest in the club from the Chansiri family seems reduced these days? But I’m not on social media and can’t see the directors box at matches so I could be wrong there.  

Anyway I just feel a bit meh about our future prospects, drawing a game against a fellow midtable side isn’t the worst thing to happen to us 

Edited by Owls-Fan
  • Thanks 1

Monks a solid manager at this level .he can set up a group of players and make them into a competitive team  .....how long the fans will accept just being competitive before the rumblings start I dont know but I suspect it won't be too long .

Not sure I agree?

We had more than enough chances to win the game (as with a lot of Recent matches).

We outplayed the top of the table team away on Saturday.

Last night we hit the bar had around 3 cleared off the line.

Doesn't that show that overall Monk is getting things right?

We need someone with a killer instinct in front of goal, it’s (almost) as simple as that!

I said last night, if we had (for example) Sharp up front, we would be at top 4 at the moment.

25 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

My concerns are with the ownership and our future rather than with Monk.  Monk is a solid championship manager, anyone hoping for better at this time is a bit unrealistic. 

My worry is since the bubble burst 2.5 years ago we have been trudging along in sh*t and it doesn’t look like getting better anytime soon. My hope is the points deduction isn’t a big one and that Chansiri decides its time to sell to someone who will bring some optimism back to the club. With things like better ticket pricing and a stadium upgrade or even a new build. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but the interest in the club from the Chansiri family seems reduced these days? But I’m not on social media and can’t see the directors box at matches so I could be wrong there.  

Anyway I just feel a bit meh about our future prospects, drawing a game against a fellow midtable side isn’t the worst thing to happen to us 

Totally agree, besides starting with FF I can’t see much else Monk is getting wrong. And maybe FF hasn’t been ready to play 90 minutes. 

My apathy is also with what’s happening off the pitch too 

10 hours ago, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Anybody that is happy need to take a good look at themselves. 

11 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Let's be honest it's harsh to judge any manager who is working with this group of players, no matter who the manager is we won't move forward with a new identity while ever we have the bulk of this team still remaining at the club.

I think this just about nails it. The best part of this squad has been in place for 5/6 years and the same old frailties exist and will still continue to exist until the squad changes significantly which is unlikely anytime soon due to the issues off the pitch? Monk’s got a tough job on both in the short, medium and long term.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

29 minutes ago, Kameron said:

It was an awful appointment and I’m sticking with my opinion at the time, the crowd will have turned on him by Xmas. 

It really wasn't awful. 

I'll give you uninspiring, but awful? Nah, not for me. 

If we'd have brought in Owen Coyle or something like that, then fair enough. 

You can't realy pass judgement until the guy has a chance to bring in a few of his own players. 

Plus, we are not even playing that badly. 

9 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think this just about nails it. The best part of this squad has been in place for 5/6 years and the same old frailties exist and will still continue to exist until the squad changes significantly which is unlikely anytime soon due to the issues off the pitch? Monk’s got a tough job on both in the short, medium and long term.

Whoever comes in at this club have a tough job on, last night it was like watching a Carlos team, taking an age to take throw in's, get the ball forward etc.

I was surprised to see K Lee start to be honest, his legs have gone, he is no longer the player was 3 seasons ago due to the serious injury he had, sadly.

Once a player walks over that white line he is on his own, no matter what the coach say's or does in training.

How many times did Harris or Fox make a run down the left only for Bannan or Lee to pirouette and play the safe ball square?, it got to a state that they stopped making the run. The midfield need a revamp, we must have the smallest and lightest midfield in the Championship.

I agree, FF and Nuhiu gave the side some impetus when they came on, for me FF has to start in the place of Lee, Louongo can do what he does only better.

Play 'Chocolate knees' Hutch in his place and Play FF on the left and Harris on the right.

There will be no new faces till January, hopefully, and let's see what happens then and in the summer.

1 hour ago, Pale Rider said:

Anybody that is happy need to take a good look at themselves. 

We are doing ok so what's to be unhappy about ......performances have in the main been decent and 6 pts from third spot isnt too shabby considering the pts the goalie as cost us  .

12 hours ago, McRightSide said:

11 hours ago, Pieman said:

Absolutely spot on. We squared a perfect ball to him In the 6 yard box and he didn’t even shoot coz it was on his left peg....

Monk has my support, changing manager after manager is not the answer. He needs a proper forward oriented assistant, presumably Beattie and some positive transfer business in the window. We really are not that far off.

Pieman-Think you've made a great point there, I'm very surprised this hasn't been sorted by now.

Mr Rightside you have my vote for post of the month ! 

Edited by Bluey9

1 hour ago, Spookone said:

Not sure I agree?

We had more than enough chances to win the game (as with a lot of Recent matches).

We outplayed the top of the table team away on Saturday.

Last night we hit the bar had around 3 cleared off the line.

Doesn't that show that overall Monk is getting things right?

We need someone with a killer instinct in front of goal, it’s (almost) as simple as that!

I said last night, if we had (for example) Sharp up front, we would be at top 4 at the moment.

Totally agree, to have a go at Monk for recent results is very harsh

Last 5-7 games we have had enough chances to win each and every match.

He is working with what he has - the squad might be big but its all a much of a muchness - with the forward options lacking any real spark between them.

The final ball/decision with most of our players is very poor. from full back to wide men. The team make a lot of opportunities only to be let down in the most important part 

Some really valid points by @McRightSide not sure why he is getting negged so much either, maybe they can offer a counter argument? 

My point of view is quite simple and easy...we have a load of players that need to be moved out including a few that is playing week in week out...

how is Lee getting a game?  he's been awful since his return, a passanger.

Reach the same.

Fletcher cant score now, our tactics are break and cross even if no one is there ...just cross amd hope someone gets on the end of it...or try too many passes when a simple clean strike on target might just fly in on a skiddy surface?  

Monk although hasnt spent anything has a very negative approach and it's sometimes baffling, Birmingham was the worse side to come here but yet again he starts with one up front, last time we started with two was Boro away 1-4 then he reverted back to 1???

Didnt like how he conducted himself either, quite frankly that was his buisness and not the fans or anyone elses.

Cant see us having any money unless we can see this EFL issue out, the longer it drags on the worse things will get imo..so the TW might be wishful thinking.

Cant see any positive light and lots of fans were leaving at 75 minutes last night too...that says something.

At the moment its depressing, but at least the bridge looks nice.

I think Monk is doing OK we are not far off a top 6 team.

If you ask me is he getting the most out of the squad of players at his disposal I would have to say I don't think he is.

I don't really buy into this theory " judge a manager after 3 transfer windows". I bet there is not one team in this division that has the all round balance that the manager would like.  What a good manager can do is assess the players at his disposal and get the best out of them often changing the shape of the team to get the best out of players. A good example of this would be Bielsa at Leeds who moved Alioski to wing back. Who would have thought that would work.

Megson when he was our manager could see the limitations in the players so he countered  this by making us really effective from dead ball situations 

As I say MONK has done OK so far and with a bit of luck we could make a play offs, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he is a tactical master.

4 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

.we have a load of players that need to be moved out including a few that is playing week in week out...

Monk although hasnt spent anything has a very negative approach and it's sometimes baffling, Birmingham was the worse side to come here but yet again he starts with one up front, last time we started with two was Boro away 1-4 then he reverted back to 1???

If we have a load of players that need to be moved out then it must follow  that monk is doing well to keep us competitive......I dont think we play in a negative way the fact that he always plays 2 wingers and the performances against leeds swansea and west Brom were very entertaining .that the results didn't quite come from those 3 games was down to poor errors from some that as you say need shifting out .