Concerns about Garry Monk

On 27/11/2019 at 21:59, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Sort it out Garry, and try and act with a bit more decorum

Let's not forget that we're a mid-ranking Championship club with an ageing squad and cash at a premium, so there's a limit who we can reasonably appoint.  I think we've done really well to get GM, who seems normal and realistic whenever I've heard him.  We know what can happen if we go gung-ho (think previous manager) or have a lack of fitness (think previous manager), so I think he has it about right given what he has at his disposal - and they certainly seem to be playing for him/the club.  No worries from here.....

On 27/11/2019 at 22:15, Mr Farrell said:

Starting to look very one dimensional.

None of the players are his own though.

Reach, Hutch, Palmer, Fletch and Westwood have been here too long and need moving on.

I'll judge Monk then.

Monks team selections lately indicate he’s starting to come to that conclusion too.
Fortunately he has a few more options than Jos had, and doesn’t have to rely on kids to fill the gaps.

Squad isn't good enough, Monk needs at least 2 years to totally re-build midfield and attack, Only area of the pitch where we are good enough is at centre half. All other areas need looking at. The attack on Palmer seems harsh too. I will only Judge Monk after he has been allowed to get rid of the current crop of forwards and buy new ones. If in 2 years we still have Nuhiu playing in games because we can't get anyone else, then it's unfair to judge Monk. I thought we played well against Birmingham as a team, but we lack pace and creativity and until this is resolved we will continue to struggle to score more than 1 goal a game. Happy with Monk, will only worry if we drop towards a relegation battle, and i don't think Monk will let that happen.

23 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

You are correct but starting with 1 up front at home v Birmingham ? 

Had we had perhaps 2 upfront with Fernando and maybe Nuhiu starting I think we could have scored 3 or 4.

Why Is Lee getting a game every week, Why Is Reach getting a game too ? 

Both of these players were spectators last night

I agree with this.

Sometimes he is negative and I kind of get why he is trying to make us tight and compact and hard to beat.... which is working to a degree. BUT.... and the big but is were not winning in games we deserve too which puts more pressure on us to win games we should be expecting to (Birmingham at home) so he's kind of caught in two minds as what to do with going for it (which he should but if he does and we lose were back to square one)  or play with more caution and try and nick it being solid.

The big issue for me is goals. Were playing well and creating chances but were not taking them. We HAVE to play Forestieri week in week out.

I think Lee has been playing well - Reach is having a mare but Murphy is inconsistent too. So were struggling there. Bannan is a problem at the moment too he's gone all brilliant or anonymous.

We need to pick up points.

If we sacrificed defensive solidarity for playing a more open game would anybody fancy us to out score teams and win high scoring games. Not sure I would.

Of course we need to try and improve our goal scoring , give FF an opportunity to fix It, but we can’t afford to become a soft touch defensively, it’s down to the players to put our chances away.

On 28/11/2019 at 07:04, BRUCE LEE said:

He’s dealing with a number of legacy issues within that playing squad, with the off field saga on top

You’d be foolish to think an inevitable point deduction isn’t having an effect on the mentality of the players

Sooner the FFP charge is concluded the better

The recent results have been won, lost, drawn by the odd goal. Mostly points dropped due to players switching off and making individual mistakes. He’s managed that and made changes

Most of the frustration seems to be around FF, but if we’re being honest he’s not really demonstrated any major impact when he’s appeared and no one knows the full extent of recent injuries. He looks a shadow of the player he was IMO

Monk should have the opportunity to see this season out, a full summer of prep and then deliver

That's the story in a nut shell.

Too many players are not performing, have not performed over the last 2-3 seasons, yet fans expect the same players to perform as they did.

Lee is knackered as a box - box player he was until the injury, FF God knows why he does'nt play like he did.

posters on here have said for the last 18 months that the squad needs refreshing and they are right, so let's give Monk the time to bring in fresh, young hungry players