Concerns about Garry Monk

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Sort it out Garry, and try and act with a bit more decorum

Tend to agree

Happy when Monk was appointed, still happy enough with him

But starting to get a bit frustrating and losing a bit of faith - doesn’t seem to be implementing any sort of style of play or identity on the side. Will that change when/if he gets to bring more of his own players?

Don’t agree that he needed to show more class with the Clotet issue though, fine with having a manager with a bit of bite, creating an us against the world mentality would be good but too many of our fans don’t like being proved wrong so will be happy to use it as a stick to beat Monk with 

• Thanks 1

Personally I think how we set up tonight was okay. The only change I'd have been very determined to see would be Forestieri for Reach and put Harris on the right. If Fletcher could control the ball and/or shoot then we'd have been one or two up in the first half. 

The frustration is that we haven't been outplayed by anyone particularly this year yet we've dropped so many points. This league is average and dare I say if we had someone that demanded only the best and a winning spirit like those over the road then we'd be up there. 

2 minutes ago, jrh said:

Personally I think how we set up tonight was okay. The only change I'd have been very determined to see would be Forestieri for Reach and put Harris on the right. If Fletcher could control the ball and/or shoot then we'd have been one or two up in the first half. 

Agree with this. 

3 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Tend to agree

Happy when Monk was appointed, still happy enough with him

But starting to get a bit frustrating and losing a bit of faith - doesn’t seem to be implementing any sort of style of play or identity on the side. Will that change when/if he gets to bring more of his own players?

Don’t agree that he needed to show more class with the Clotet issue though, fine with having a manager with a bit of bite, creating an us against the world mentality would be good but too many of our fans don’t like being proved wrong so will be happy to use it as a stick to beat Monk with 

Yes, agreed. I don’t feel like he’s far off...but just obvious stuff that he doesn’t seem to want to change.

I’m fine with a siege mentality - but that was a personal issue and just came off as bitter 

Guest Theboylangers
8 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Whilst I tend to agree with your assessment, I am reluctant to give Monk too much of a hard time here.

The reason being, I have just started a new Manager role and my team aren't up to scratch. I can't replace them so I have to work with what I've got.

I can try and make small improvements and tweaks here and there but the reality is that that they simply aren't good enough and probably never will be. 

I do have sympathy for Monk on that basis because I understand what he has got to contend with. 

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Our players arnt good enough to be challenging for promotion. The bulk of our squad is still here from the play off final defeat , and now they are nearly four years older.  

Whilst FF isn't the threat of three years ago, he needs to be playing in a team pretty devoid of a goal threat.

Reach needs dropping - and we need to play with a front two. 

Monk needs to demonstrate that he sees all this too and starts to change the plan - because we're stuck in a rut at present and the longer it goes on the club slides a bit more.

4 minutes ago, jrh said:

Absolutely spot on. We squared a perfect ball to him In the 6 yard box and he didn’t even shoot coz it was on his left peg....

Monk has my support, changing manager after manager is not the answer. He needs a proper forward oriented assistant, presumably Beattie and some positive transfer business in the window. We really are not that far off.