Concerns about Garry Monk

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Yes, agreed. I don’t feel like he’s far off...but just obvious stuff that he doesn’t seem to want to change.

I’m fine with a siege mentality - but that was a personal issue and just came off as bitter 

He is a counter attacker. Not what the Hillsborough support wants to see. And you need scoring midfielders, a striker who takes the few chances not needing 7 or 8 chances to score, and a tight defence. Better off with an attacking approach if only to get our best player into the team

3 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

We've stopped being direct up to Fletcher and started playing it out from the back more, packing the midfield with short quick passes. We've also stopped using the wings more with Harris and Reach moving  inside more and having fox and Palmer provide the width and crosses.

Not working yet for me though.

Reason football is so popular is that everyone sees it differently. 
Don’t agree we’ve stopped being direct to Fletcher.

Packing the midfield with short quick passes? Not what I’m seeing. Our biggest problem when attacking is we don’t move the ball quickly enough to disrupt or isolate our opponents. 

Harris and Reach moving inside to create space for overlapping fullbacks? Sorry again I was watching a different game. And BTW judging by the fact that until the last 10 mins Fletcher was totally isolated upfront this would indicate we played with 5 central midfielders (Harris, Bannan, Luongo, Lee, Reach).

Anyway. All about opinions

WAWAW

28 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I had to take over a Sheffield Nomads league team for a month cos the manager had a nervous break down...We were crap and I knew we were crap..

Was the team the reason for the breakdown or did he blame the wife to protect his team? 

• Haha 1

Not convinced by him as a football manager but prepared to give him as long as possible to dig us out of this hole. 
Cant help liking and respecting him as a man though.

On his previous day's comments about Clotet: "It is what it is. I appreciate not everyone is going to like it. Staying true to myself is the most important thing.

"I understand the reaction. But I got asked the question and, like I've always done, I have to be true to myself. I can take honest criticism.

"I was talking facts. I wish it wasn't facts. I wish it wasn't true. I wish that with every part of my body. But I didn't do it to gain anything. I can't change who I am. Like with every other question I get asked, I was just trying to be open and honest."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Theboylangers said:

Whilst I tend to agree with your assessment, I am reluctant to give Monk too much of a hard time here.

The reason being, I have just started a new Manager role and my team aren't up to scratch. I can't replace them so I have to work with what I've got.

I can try and make small improvements and tweaks here and there but the reality is that that they simply aren't good enough and probably never will be. 

I do have sympathy for Monk on that basis because I understand what he has got to contend with. 

Typical manger blame the workforce for their own failings. 

Guest LittleG
2 hours ago, sMacLean said:

He needs next summer badly. We don't know his contract length so might only be until then of course. Just hasn't got any players with a winning mentality.

Apart from Iorfa.

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

We've stopped being direct up to Fletcher and started playing it out from the back more, packing the midfield with short quick passes. We've also stopped using the wings more with Harris and Reach moving  inside more and having fox and Palmer provide the width and crosses.

Not working yet for me though.

Me and my son noticed this tonight

Reach would leave the wide position and move inside leaving space for Onion Baji

Same on the other side, Harris moved inside to create space for Fox

For what it's worth, I thought we played well first half and could have been 4-0 up had players taken their chances

Second half it went boobies up after yet another miss placed Reach pass started the move that lead to their goal.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Agree with a lot of posts here when mentioning that Monk needs chance to build his own squad.

currently, we are a mid-table team and we have become harder to beat but we do lack that quality to finish games off to our advantage.

One thing I would say, I would just like to see Monk a hell of a lot more adventurous. Brum at home, we really should be going with 2 up front. Once FF and Nuhiu came on they couldn’t handle us. We are FAR too cautious, need to go at teams. 

He’s dealing with a number of legacy issues within that playing squad, with the off field saga on top

You’d be foolish to think an inevitable point deduction isn’t having an effect on the mentality of the players

Sooner the FFP charge is concluded the better

The recent results have been won, lost, drawn by the odd goal. Mostly points dropped due to players switching off and making individual mistakes. He’s managed that and made changes

Most of the frustration seems to be around FF, but if we’re being honest he’s not really demonstrated any major impact when he’s appeared and no one knows the full extent of recent injuries. He looks a shadow of the player he was IMO

Monk should have the opportunity to see this season out, a full summer of prep and then deliver

4 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Monk just a younger Steve McClaren

the players arent up to it but monk keeps playing same players with the same dire tactics 

how anyone thinks playing 1 striker upfront against Birmingham is good I don't know 

He is younger but other than that to compare Monk’s managerial credentials and record to Steve McClaren is totally unfair on Steve McClaren. 

8 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Monk is still finding out that he has some very poor players.

The only change I would have made to the starting lineup is not to play Reach. I think he did so because their left back is a good player who gets forward a lot and he tried to negate that.

I have no problem with Monk.

Some of the decision making, crossing , final balls and strikes on goal by players tonight was awful yet we should still have won the game easily with the chances we had if the players had shown a bit of nous  and quality around the box.

Sometimes it’s like watching school kids

which players are very poor ?

Edited by torryowl