Concerns about Garry Monk

6 minutes ago, torryowl said:

If we have a load of players that need to be moved out then it must follow  that monk is doing well to keep us competitive......I dont think we play in a negative way the fact that he always plays 2 wingers and the performances against leeds swansea and west Brom were very entertaining .that the results didn't quite come from those 3 games was down to poor errors from some that as you say need shifting out .

You are correct but starting with 1 up front at home v Birmingham ? 

Had we had perhaps 2 upfront with Fernando and maybe Nuhiu starting I think we could have scored 3 or 4.

Why Is Lee getting a game every week, Why Is Reach getting a game too ? 

Both of these players were spectators last night

Guest Kameron
1 hour ago, SiJ said:

It really wasn't awful. 

I'll give you uninspiring, but awful? Nah, not for me. 

If we'd have brought in Owen Coyle or something like that, then fair enough. 

You can't realy pass judgement until the guy has a chance to bring in a few of his own players. 

Plus, we are not even playing that badly. 

Each to their own, one up top is not for me.  What manager in this day and age really gets time to bring in his own players?  Bruce made a big difference and he didn't bring in loads of his own, when Dave Jones came in I don't recall him signing a single player yet managed to achieve promotion.  Even without a points deduction the warning signs are there, I'll give you Monk hasn't created this mess but he's doing nothing to suggest he has any idea on how to improve things. 

Edited by Kameron

23 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Each to their own, one up top is not for me.  What manager in this day and age really gets time to bring in his own players?  Bruce made a big difference and he didn't bring in loads of his own, when Dave Jones came in I don't recall him signing a single player yet managed to achieve promotion.  Even without a points deduction the warning signs are there, I'll give you Monk hasn't created this mess but he's doing nothing to suggest he has any idea on how to improve things. 

He made a difference from Jos - in reality it was exactly what we are seeing now 

I see a lot of harking back to Bruce on this thread and although I'd have liked him to still be our manager we got too many draws during his reign and our performance against Leeds towards the end of the season was awful, I think a few have the rose tinted glasses on here.

26 minutes ago, Clowne Owl said:

We had 24 shots on goal last night which suggests the problem isn't with the style of play or management. He can't put it in the goal for them, it's the players who have to start finishing their chances. 

Did you go to the match? The stats don't tell the full story.

Fair enough if you did, but it very much is the style of play that is part of the problem.

We win the ball in midfield and have no outball, we need two upfront to work off each other. Fletch isn't a lone striker, he'll tell you that himself.

Odubajo/Palmer - Odubajo was woeful towards the start of the season, and I honestly wouldn't have dropped Palmer for him either. I don't think Palmer has been too bad. MO had a good game last night though.

Harris - Yes he has not been at the races recently, however Murphy has been she-iyt.

Reach - Can't excuse this though, Reach has been so poor at times. Needs to sit on the bench for a while and get some drive and urgency back in his game.

We've been creating chances, the stats don't lie, we're just not converting them? 

I know where not playing cavalier, swashbuckling football, but I would be willing to bet there's very few players monk has available to him here he'd keep If he was given a blank canvas, so to speak. 

Starting with the midfield. As we've seen for quite a few years now we lose the midfield battle 

Reach, Bannan, Lee are good footballers, but we severely lack proper power, pace and mobility through there and if you lose the centre midfield battle you can't control the game allowing you ro play. 

Hutch by trade is s cb, he'd a good defender, but not a cm. 

Bannan sirs too deep as if he likes to be quarterback, so he can launch a 40/50 yard Hollywood ball forward and stand and admire it/himself. 

Therefore unless Loungo or Lee play no one supports the strikers or gets on the end of things. 

I said I'd give monk a free hit and full pre season before making any judgement, just as I did with jos, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for a totally opposite outcome next seasonfrom what happened with jos. 

7 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

You are correct but starting with 1 up front at home v Birmingham ? 

Had we had perhaps 2 upfront with Fernando and maybe Nuhiu starting I think we could have scored 3 or 4.

Why Is Lee getting a game every week, Why Is Reach getting a game too ? 

Both of these players were spectators last night

I understand picking Lee, especially when only playing one up top with Wingers, you need guys to break from midfield to support the front 3. 

Lee is really the only cm we have besides Loungo who does this regularly, so if Loungo isn't fit or carrying a nock Lee is the obvious deputy as hutch, bannan and joey get nose bleeds  crossing the half way line and simply dont get themselves regularly in the box in goalscoring areas. 

we are so predictable is unreal , why cant we play a high press like we did against leeds and middlesborough? and 2 up front? we looked by far our best this season playing that way. playing 1 up front is so negative and boring. lets go for it 1st half get 2-3 goals then if needed put a extra body into midfield to control game. I heard these kind of tactics he used at leeds and boro . 

Monk imo was a perfectly credible choice following Stve Bruce's sudden resignation. 

We are about where I thought we would be ie a team that should be challenging for the play offs.

Whether Monk is given the tools to do the job from now on we will have to wait and see.

We had 58% possession, 25 shots, 12 corners, made double the number of passes of the opposition, with a greater success rate, with double the amount of passes in the final third as Birmingham.  We attempted 41 crosses and only allowed 14 attempts (only 2 of which were successful).  Our keeper only had to make 1 save all night.

Which bit is Monk getting wrong exactly?  He isn't the one who can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo!

Just not bothered...

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

We had 58% possession, 25 shots, 12 corners, made double the number of passes of the opposition, with a greater success rate, with double the amount of passes in the final third as Birmingham.  We attempted 41 crosses and only allowed 14 attempts (only 2 of which were successful).  Our keeper only had to make 1 save all night.

Which bit is Monk getting wrong exactly?  He isn't the one who can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo!

41 crosses and yet only a handful of shots on target.

Thats exactly the concerns I raised in the OP.

Wide players need looking at, support for Fletcher needs looking at, cutting edge / FF needs looking at

1 hour ago, CadTheOwl said:

Odubajo/Palmer - Odubajo was woeful towards the start of the season, and I honestly wouldn't have dropped Palmer for him either. I don't think Palmer has been too bad. MO had a good game last night though.

Harris - Yes he has not been at the races recently, however Murphy has been she-iyt.

Reach - Can't excuse this though, Reach has been so poor at times. Needs to sit on the bench for a while and get some drive and urgency back in his game.

Odubajo had a horrible start but actually started to improve and got dropped.

Palmer hasn’t had a good game at right back this season. All his good performances were at LB...but Fox has stepped up since coming in

I quite like the two deep midfield players, one being the tackler, the other the ball player, BUT in the modern game if a team is going to employ such tactics and still posess an attacking threat they need to sacrifice a defender and play two up top OR deploy wingbacks.  The biggest problem however for me is that we have no threat in terms of pace down the middle.  We don't seem to score any vardy/ian rush type goals from the position of being under threat then tripping the offside trap.  Im sure forrestieri is the man for this.  Ive read it dozens of times on here that he is no centre forward or can't play as the furthest man forward but surely his biggest problem is getting tangled up with bigger, more physical defenders.  Given a 1 on 1 for pace with a big lump (a through ball from a high position) , id back forestieri nearly every time. 

21 hours ago, Clowne Owl said:

We had 24 shots on goal last night which suggests the problem isn't with the style of play or management. He can't put it in the goal for them, it's the players who have to start finishing their chances. 

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

15 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Have we now got to the position of giving managers/Coaches 3 months to be successful or they are out?

• Like 1