Total Overreaction To Defeats

1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

None of us have ever seen the Owls go a full season unbeaten and I doubt we ever will, great Owls sides have lost games we expected them to win and won others against the odds, why has it become a seemingly modern trait of fans to treat on defeat as an absolute calamity of epic proportions. Last week we put up a very good performance against the leagues current best side Leeds, people were saying we more than matched them, played some great football and should have won, one week later we lose to Blackburn in a game where two very influential midfielders are missing from the line up (Bannan & Luongo) and all of a sudden we are a mid table side, the manager should be replaced and we need 15 new signings, its quite staggering to hear the bile spilled especially when we are still in a decent position and everybody is beating each other (see Fulham v Hull).

That’s football fans, the reaction is equally over the top when we win a few games. 

34 minutes ago, Parrott71 said:

We win = Promotion, 10 year contract for the manager

We lose = Relegation, sack the manager

Its the Owlstalk way.

This is the problem that we have, you can see by the reaction on here that results are far more important to the fans than performances. I am pretty sure that's also the case with the owner.

So Monk comes in understands these pressures he knows it's a results based business, he assesses the squad decides the best way to get results is to keep a clean sheet even if this make us less potent up front.

A big part of this is the role that Harris and Reach play, the ground both of these players cover with their tracking largely goes unnoticed.

This works well defensively and it is only when we take 1 or both of these off and replace them with players that don't track that we start to concede goals. I think we have only conceded 2 goals while Monk has been here while Harris has been on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I didn't see that against Leeds, surely if promotion is the aim its got to be points over performances, our points haul so far looks good enough for a top six place.

I’d wait until we’ve played everyone before talking about the points haul being good enough for top six. We’ve some tough fixtures in November and December so see how the table looks after those.

We’ve only beat the bottom 7 so far this year and only scored 19 goals in 15 games (with 4 of those coming in 45 minutes at Boro).

If we’re going to challenge for top 6, we need to score more goals and start beating some of the better sides.

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

excellent post. Fully agree. 

Turgid football that didn't get results over a season was Monk's downfall at Boro with a squad that should have been right up there.

For us his style is probably right given our squad but home games should be more like Preston's.

1 minute ago, sMacLean said:

Turgid football that didn't get results over a season was Monk's downfall at Boro with a squad that should have been right up there.

For us his style is probably right given our squad but home games should be more like Preston's.

Over a season?

He was sacked in December. The season was barely 4 months old.

1 hour ago, Westfield Owl said:

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

Exactly.

I got called a diva on Saturday by a supporter who was happy to sit back and watch CC and Jos stink the place out 

We’ve been useless for that long that many of our fans are happy to sit and accept second best

Edited by Stoop

Guest Kameron
1 hour ago, toppOwl said:

I didn't see that against Leeds, surely if promotion is the aim its got to be points over performances, our points haul so far looks good enough for a top six place.

As I've pointed out many times lets see where we are in a few weeks once we've played plenty of the sides in and around us. Leeds was a local derby, 2 points dropped by the way.

We’ve got a squad of players that have shown they’re mediocre at best over the last 2 to 3 years. And people are surprised that Monk can’t get them playing like Barcelona without even one transfer window. 

Just get behind the bloke FFS! He’s not even been in the job for two months yet! He’s said himself he’d love to play more expansive football but it’s hard to implement that style when he’s come in midway through a season. He’s not signed a single player in the squad either, it’s madness to be tearing his tactics apart already!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parrott71 said:

We win = Promotion, 10 year contract for the manager

We lose = Relegation, sack the manager

Its the Owlstalk way.

Classic owlstalk post , to be filed alongside-

Fans expect us to win 5-0 every week

Fans arnt happy unless we play like Real Madrid every week 

Fans expecting entertainment are self entitled 

I think the overreactions stem from a now inherent cynicism towards this group of players. 

They've been here for what seems a lifetime and there's always the sense they'll inevitably produce a stinker of a performance/result when you think they've turned the corner. 

That game at Blackburn had a 1 nil loss written all over it. As it was, we managed to produce an even more gutting 2-1 defeat, having been in a great position to see the game out. 

We are doing pretty well and I think we can sneak a play off spot. But it would be nice to see us impose ourselves on a teams a bit more, particularly those struggling at the wrong end of the table.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, torres said:

From the Leeds game, the intent shown and the pace of how we played to throwing it away at blackburn is a choker - of course it is  - but its early in Monks tenure, he is stuck with some average players - who we all know are 1 good game in 3 AT BEST 

If its the same in 12-18 months then its worth a moan 

The reaction on here is so very childish  - we've not won - so everything is rubbish

Most of the reaction I have read is fair from childish. In the main people have offered a valid critique of personnel, tactics and mindset. Also value for money. 

Admittedly there has also been some knee-jerk stuff but that’s only to be expected with a wide and varied fanbase 

3 hours ago, toppOwl said:

None of us have ever seen the Owls go a full season unbeaten and I doubt we ever will, great Owls sides have lost games we expected them to win and won others against the odds, why has it become a seemingly modern trait of fans to treat on defeat as an absolute calamity of epic proportions. Last week we put up a very good performance against the leagues current best side Leeds, people were saying we more than matched them, played some great football and should have won, one week later we lose to Blackburn in a game where two very influential midfielders are missing from the line up (Bannan & Luongo) and all of a sudden we are a mid table side, the manager should be replaced and we need 15 new signings, its quite staggering to hear the bile spilled especially when we are still in a decent position and everybody is beating each other (see Fulham v Hull).

think we are a mid table side....like maybe 10 others...still don't think we will score enough for top 6..imo