Total Overreaction To Defeats

2 hours ago, markowl said:

Monk wasn't in charge for the QPR game was he?

We got 3 points against Stoke, so not sure what there is to moan about there.

And we could have conceivably been 3 up at half time against Cardiff.

And mentioning the pigs is getting a bit tiresome. Fair play to them, but they aren't relevant to us this season, just as they weren't when they were struggling in the Pub League.

Problem is when we win people seem to dust over the fact we’ve played poor , don’t get me wrong we’ve been ok this season but really think we can do a lot better . I get your point re the pigs 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Well to say some of our fans were predicting us to struggle, especially after Bruce had left. they should be over moon seeing us in 7th place and only a few points off an automatic spot.

Some fans aren't happy if they've nowt to moan about, some were at it even when we finished in play offs, considering we're having to offload some of big earners replacing most of them with freebies we're doing ok.

I don’t think we are doing bad just always strive for better pal , I think we’re capable of much more but when we lose 2/3 players especially in key areas we seem to struggle 

Convinced we'd have won at Blackburn with Bazza & Luongo. 

Certainly not worse than a draw. 

Call me old fashioned but anyone remember the days when supporters actually supported. 

You know, even when the chips were down ( which they aren't at the moment ) 

We're just a big bunch doomsayers at the slightest setback.

Does my bulb in.

• Like 1

The defeat in itself (that is, the 3 points dropped from the 138 that are up for grabs each season) aren't really a massive problem for me. Obviously we're going to drop points during a season.

It's not even the nature of this particular defeat being so late in the game that is the source of concern.

For me, it's the way we set-up. I've said this a few times since the game finished now, but it just seems so needlessly defensive.

I'm not surprised to see any side in this division given sufficient encouragement put any other side under pressure in a game.

There are no woeful sides - but there are sides whose confidence is clearly fragile - and Blackburn, as was clear even within a few minutes of Saturday's game starting, are such a side.

It worries me that Monk's take on Saturday seems to be that the approach and execution of the game plan went almost to perfection but for a mad last few minutes.

I'd rather we'd not scored at all and Blackburn still get either or both their goals because maybe then Monk would have been more likely to reflect upon the flaws of how we set up for 90 minutes, rather than focusing upon our loss of concentration towards the end of the game.

It's ironic that we had a good go at Leeds while playing two up top, and yet Blackburn sees us cower cautiously before them with just the one up front. We don't have the best squad of players in this division, but we still have a very decent squad, and one that is far better than the way we set up.

17 hours ago, Kameron said:

Is not the defeats that’s hard to take of course we’re gunna lose games.  It’s the absolute total negative way in which we set up, it’s like having Jos back with Irvine assisting and Chris Turner as director of football.  

Results don't back this up. Monk is hindered by the lack of quality and variation we have in the forward line. Lets see what January brings.

20 hours ago, toppOwl said:

None of us have ever seen the Owls go a full season unbeaten and I doubt we ever will, great Owls sides have lost games we expected them to win and won others against the odds, why has it become a seemingly modern trait of fans to treat on defeat as an absolute calamity of epic proportions. Last week we put up a very good performance against the leagues current best side Leeds, people were saying we more than matched them, played some great football and should have won, one week later we lose to Blackburn in a game where two very influential midfielders are missing from the line up (Bannan & Luongo) and all of a sudden we are a mid table side, the manager should be replaced and we need 15 new signings, its quite staggering to hear the bile spilled especially when we are still in a decent position and everybody is beating each other (see Fulham v Hull).

Said it many times...some of the fans on here can only see one game at a time!! They only have the ability to react on today as they forget the last game and they can’t look forward to the next.

Sadly some on here thrive on negativity!!

We all know we are short of goals at the moment and this needs to be addressed in January (if possible). As you stated we were also missing a couple of first team players who have been very influential this season.  

Points dropped...move on to Saturday and let’s try to get back on track. 

• Thanks 1

Guest The Horse

In my eyes, people are twitchy because this season represents the best chance in ages to get out.

I think most fans recognise this was going to be a season of transition whilst Monk rebuilds but people are waking up to the idea that the diet should be put on hold so to speak and capitalise on the free buffet whilst it's on offer.

If we're still here next season and Watford, Norwich, Southampton or even Everton join us then we'll be saying it's going to be a tough fight and looking back on this season wondering what the fizz were we playing at.

Especially if sodding Preston go up.

Guest Kameron
59 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Said it many times...some of the fans on here can only see one game at a time!! They only have the ability to react on today as they forget the last game and they can’t look forward to the next.

Sadly some on here thrive on negativity!!

We all know we are short of goals at the moment and this needs to be addressed in January (if possible). As you stated we were also missing a couple of first team players who have been very influential this season.  

Points dropped...move on to Saturday and let’s try to get back on track. 

The reason we’re short of goals is because we create very few chances during the game.  We could change all the strikers in January but nothing would change.  Until we adopt a more positive approach and actually set up to go out and win games this is as good as it gets.  Our midfield and fullbacks are our weak links and have been since the playoff final defeat.   Persisting with Hutch, Lee and Bannan has got us nowhere as they go missing when it really matters.  Hopefully come the end of the season this can be addressed when many contracts expire.  I wouldn’t lose any sleep if we released every single player, the coaching staff and Chansiri announced he was off, in fact I’d celebrate.  

6 hours ago, james o connor said:

It’s because the chucking away a lead at the death is wearing a bit thin . It’s kids stuff and it happens time and time again 

Away from home it is a real issue. 

It is poor game management and it has been a problem for a few years. 

That defeat against Blackburn was so, so poor. 

To take the lead in the 83rd minute - against a team low on confidence - and then contrive to lose it was pretty shocking tbh. 

To me, I get the sense this team can only play one way or another at the moment. 

If we open up and try to be expansive then we will concede sloppy goals (a bit like what happened when we opened up on Saturday). When we play defensive we are quite resolute and hard to beat, but we rarely carry much of a goal threat. 

Weve been pretty solid all season hardly conceding, but the problem is we continuously get into good positions and get a goal up, but just can't seem to find that killer second goal to allow us to settle down and play. 

Apart from Middlesbrough and Reading we don't seem capeble of scoring more than a couple of goals and that's been a rarity as we've won a lot of games 1-0 which relies on keeping a clean sheet every game which is hard to do. 

That's my only real gripe with this season so far, we look better as a team, cohesion and a good unit at the back (apart from an odd error here or there, we just need to find a way of getting more goals. If we can manage to start doing that we'll be up there or there abouts. 

11 hours ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

Convinced we'd have won at Blackburn with Bazza & Luongo. 

Certainly not worse than a draw. 

Call me old fashioned but anyone remember the days when supporters actually supported. 

You know, even when the chips were down ( which they aren't at the moment ) 

We're just a big bunch doomsayers at the slightest setback.

Does my bulb in.

100 % agree with you, its getting to the stage where i hate going and having to listen to the 8ollocks spoken around me, hammering westwood or palmer or fox or reach or Dave, it was the same Saturday im sure people actually go to hammer the players 

Imagine paying £40 at blackburn and waiting until the 89th minute to announce to everyone around you that youve been saying since the play off final that westwood isn't good enough,#

Its frightening the mentality of some of our fans and its not just the football manager/ fifa generations this bloke behind me must have been mid fifties 

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, Kameron said:

The reason we’re short of goals is because we create very few chances during the game.  We could change all the strikers in January but nothing would change.  Until we adopt a more positive approach and actually set up to go out and win games this is as good as it gets.  Our midfield and fullbacks are our weak links and have been since the playoff final defeat.   Persisting with Hutch, Lee and Bannan has got us nowhere as they go missing when it really matters.  Hopefully come the end of the season this can be addressed when many contracts expire.  I wouldn’t lose any sleep if we released every single player, the coaching staff and Chansiri announced he was off, in fact I’d celebrate.  

Wow,

Got to say,  That is one of the most daft posts i have read on Owlstalk and that takes some doing. 

After Bruce left, most would have been over the moon to be pushing for the play offs after nearly a third of the season. Agreed, we are set up to be hard to beat but not all teams can play like Man City.

Give Monk a chance to bring in some of his own players before ripping the whole club apart. 

Have a look at how Brighton,Huddersfield, Cardiff, Hull got promoted. Playing pragmatic, points building football.  

Guest LondonOwl313
5 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Wow,

Got to say,  That is one of the most daft posts i have read on Owlstalk and that takes some doing. 

After Bruce left, most would have been over the moon to be pushing for the play offs after nearly a third of the season. Agreed, we are set up to be hard to beat but not all teams can play like Man City.

Give Monk a chance to bring in some of his own players before ripping the whole club apart. 

Have a look at how Brighton,Huddersfield, Cardiff, Hull got promoted. Playing pragmatic, points building football.  

Here are the goals scored and conceded for the promoted teams over the last 4 seasons:

Burnley F 72, A 35, GD +37

Middlesborough F 63, A 31, GD +32

Hull F 69, A 35, GD +32

Newcastle F 85, A 40, GD +45

Brighton F 74, A 40, GD +34

Huddersfield F 56, A 58, GD -2

Wolves F 82, A 39, GD +43

Cardiff F 69, A 39, GD +30

Fulham F 79, A 36, GD +33

Norwich F 93, A 57, GD +36

Sheff Utd F 78, A 41, GD +37

Villa F 82, A 61, GD +21

We're on for F 58, A 37, GD +21

So only 1 team out of the last 12 to be promoted scored fewer goals than we're on for, and that's Huddersfield. Most teams score at least 10 more goals (10 out of the last 12) and often 20 more goals (6 out of the last 12) in their promotion winning seasons. Would be massively surprised if we go up playing for 1-0 every week. Days like Saturday will occur multiple times this season if we do, and it will be really frustrating to watch

I think Monk is playing it safe to keep us in the hunt till Christmas.

Building a platform to push from.

We can't win the league in the first half of the season but we could be out of it by being too gung ho. 

Expect to see him ramp up the aggression with a more positive set up in the 2nd half of the season after strengthening.

4 hours ago, Kameron said:

That's not all 100% true though is it. There have been games this season where we have won 1-0 but missed several chances and games where we have thrown points away due to not having that killer instinct...both Winnall and Fletch guilty of missing chances. Bannan and Lunogo have both recently shown a more creative side with Luongo chipping in with a couple of goals but both were missing Saturday (hence the original post stating the overreaction).

I do agree that the 1 up top doesn't work and a formation with with 2 up is needed, Fletcher is working tirelessly but is finding himself isolated. This for me is where Monk earns his money, it is his responsibility to find this formation and style of play to suit. What is baffling is that we have a game changer in FF, who to me as looked hungry in his brief appearances since coming back from suspension but he just seems to be sat waiting for the final 20 minutes games.

4 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

That's not all 100% true though is it. There have been games this season where we have won 1-0 but missed several chances and games where we have thrown points away due to not having that killer instinct...both Winnall and Fletch guilty of missing chances. Bannan and Lunogo have both recently shown a more creative side with Luongo chipping in with a couple of goals but both were missing Saturday (hence the original post stating the overreaction).

I do agree that the 1 up top doesn't work and a formation with with 2 up is needed, Fletcher is working tirelessly but is finding himself isolated. This for me is where Monk earns his money, it is his responsibility to find this formation and style of play to suit. What is baffling is that we have a game changer in FF, who to me as looked hungry in his brief appearances since coming back from suspension but he just seems to be sat waiting for the final 20 minutes games.

It is 75% true though. And a lot now depends on Longuo. Striker{s} will always miss some chances . FF hardly on the pitch is a puzzle. 

The midfield was one dimensional in the play off final, with no creativity, shots of their own and bullied by the Hull midfield. Bruce set out to solve it by getting Harris to provide chances and Longuo to be a more versatile midfielder. 

Fletcher as sole striker against a weak team will not get the goals you would expect to score against that type of opposition unless gifted,  and without a goalscoring midfielder or one who can create real chances for the sole striker, it will always look like 1-1 against teams like Blackburn at best, and perhaps Longuo will fill the bill.