Total Overreaction To Defeats

Guest Kameron
23 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

None.

But it's November. 

So what’s the relevance in posting the league table at the beginning of November?

Monk needs to have at least 2 years to turn around this squad. 1 deflected shot leading to a defeat in November isn't going to change that. Keep calm and hopefully they bounce back Saturday. Fans have a right to be upset, but hopefully the club stick to the long term plan as long as we are competitive, which we are. Lets get Bannan, Luongo and co on the pitch and see.

Kits not A loss it's the direction of travel. Negative Negative Negative. You can't get promoted without scoring slot of goals. Clean sheets can keep you up but we are after promotion. The only teams who get promoted have at least 2 strikers scoring goals with a midfielder and center back doing well too. That's what's needed. Scoring and then scoring again THEN shut up shop. Our way like last season sees if we do score then they equalise late on they go on to win because their tails are up.

Under Carlos we were excellent when we played an attacking style because our squad we were unbalanced with a top heavy squad. Then he destroyed everything with his stupid philosophy of holding the opposition until half way in second half. Then Jos did similar just turned up the negativity with 5 across the back. We have FINALLY added a quality centre back and Have Westwood etc back. So with the attacking style AND better defence why oh why are we still playing negatively as if we are in the bottom 3 trying to smash and grab late on. If you want to be a winner and you were a MASSIVE club  you have to act like it ! 

Everything is there now improved defence (not constantly having to defend) and all our attacking talent. Now we should be exciting and challenging on merit not luck.

Plus take captaincy off Bannan. Love him but he gets distracted when he moans so don't make it his job please.

5 hours ago, toppOwl said:

None of us have ever seen the Owls go a full season unbeaten and I doubt we ever will, great Owls sides have lost games we expected them to win and won others against the odds, why has it become a seemingly modern trait of fans to treat on defeat as an absolute calamity of epic proportions. Last week we put up a very good performance against the leagues current best side Leeds, people were saying we more than matched them, played some great football and should have won, one week later we lose to Blackburn in a game where two very influential midfielders are missing from the line up (Bannan & Luongo) and all of a sudden we are a mid table side, the manager should be replaced and we need 15 new signings, its quite staggering to hear the bile spilled especially when we are still in a decent position and everybody is beating each other (see Fulham v Hull).

Agree with everything you say, but consistency is so important if we are aiming for promotion, especially when thee are so many teams in and around us at this stage.

In this case I think its frustration, as we had it won which would have helped cement our place in the top 6, having said that it is utterly bonkers how some fans react, you have to remember that some of our fans think we can somewhere find an upgrade on Bannan (now that is bonkers)!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kameron said:

So what’s the relevance in posting the league table at the beginning of November?

Because this is a thread about people's reactions.

I think looking at the table we probably about par for the course.

No reason to get over excited or suicidal.

It might be an overreaction in the broader scheme of things, but these goals at the end of games, and these performances that are chalk and cheese week to week, are long term bloody hiccups with Wednesday.

Forget the manager, its the actual players who ,..one week can run their legs to water, and outplay Leeds..Then a more or less no show against Blackburn...Outplay Cardiff for a long period, then just f.ookin' stop.

Its a mindset the manager cannot do much about, cos its endemic in the players, and has been for long enough.

As Snoots and others have said 7th is an "OK" position...but with a bit of bloody effort we could easily be top..or top 3 at least...

If we all simply set up for an "OK" position...where do we end up...nowhere...

Its not an overreaction, its genuine concern cos the fans think we can do better

We need more goals -simples! It's not as if we don't have enough strikers that all can bring something a bit different to the table.

Fletcher is a class above in this league and strangely we have a couple of 6 yard strikers in Rhodes and Winnall that I think could play their part and then a genius (on his day) in Fernando that he will hopefully now come back into the side and big Dave that brings something different again.

Personally though I think the problem is more to do by the way we are set up at the moment. All strikers need service and we just don't provide enough service be it via crosses or link up play. Bannan is a mega player, but I want to see him more forward sometimes, not constantly wanting the ball off the centre backs  just outside our own box. 

For all of Reach's criticism, I think he works hard, but could offer so much more by way of link play or crosses for the front line.

Kieran Lee coming back into the fold should be another plus point for the whole team.

The recent additions to the squad have been so much better than previous transfer windows and although these weren't Monk's signings, if we have another window with a couple more similar quality additions then we can surely be in a play off position if not actually challenging for automatic.

I think Monk has set us up not to concede and a tad negative, lets hope this is just a way of laying good foundations and we will eventually see a solid base (i.e not conceding) and then going forward, more attacking/link up play and then more goals.

Edited by thesouthowl

7 hours ago, toppOwl said:

If you got promoted winning games in the manner of the Stoke game all would be good, we're a football team not the the Harlem Globetrotters.

Agree with this. I don't mind the poo wins. A win's a win. We had many of those in 16/17 season and finished 4th. Yes I'd love us to play beautiful flowing attacking football every week but it isn't going to happen with this team. 

Agree we sometimes set up too defensively and the manner of the defeat was hard to take on Saturday but it happens. With this current team, we are going to keep seeing dips like this. It is where we are. 

Two seasons of flirting with playoffs combined with our near neighbours turning everything into gold is making us very impatient but I think patience is what we are going to need. Marvel at the successes, be gutted at the losses but buckle up and enjoy the ride. Its Wednesday. They've never been any different. 

Does anyone think we are a top 2 team or thought it at the start of the season?

We are probably a top 10 squad (like most in this league) who are currently 4 points off first. 

Steady if not spectacular. 

We’ve been good at times, we’ve been hard to beat and we’ve been not great at times too. 

Did people expect a lot more?

7 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

don’t come on here talking sense pal! Bang on the money unfortunately some of our fans accept mediocrity or poor performances , likes of hull, Cardiff (to an extent) qpr , stoke at home , Blackburn away we haven’t shown enough attacking intent. I hate to mention them but does wilder have this mindset for example ? The answer is no

6 minutes ago, torres said:

We are probably a top 10 squad (like most in this league) who are currently 4 points off first. 

We’ve been good at times, we’ve been hard to beat and we’ve been not great at times too. 

In terms of position we can’t complain too much but in a season which seems is there for the taking I believe if we play to our strengths and can keep players fit there’s no reason we can’t aim for top 2, nobody can tell me Preston are a better side than us yet sit top of the league 

22 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

don’t come on here talking sense pal! Bang on the money unfortunately some of our fans accept mediocrity or poor performances , likes of hull, Cardiff (to an extent) qpr , stoke at home , Blackburn away we haven’t shown enough attacking intent. I hate to mention them but does wilder have this mindset for example ? The answer is no

Monk wasn't in charge for the QPR game was he?

We got 3 points against Stoke, so not sure what there is to moan about there.

And we could have conceivably been 3 up at half time against Cardiff.

And mentioning the pigs is getting a bit tiresome. Fair play to them, but they aren't relevant to us this season, just as they weren't when they were struggling in the Pub League.

Edited by markowl

8 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

Shambles is a bit ott, it wasn't great for sure but I've seen far worst, I don't think it would have been daylight robbery had we won either, first half not much in it even though we had about 8 corners to there 1.

Second half they had a 20 minute spell where they were on top and should have gone in front but we defended well helped by a couple of top class saves from Westwood, once we made changes bringing on Nuhui, Murphy and Forestieri I thought we had more control and started creating chances and when we did go in front they looked out of it with us looking more likely grab a second goal but we give away a silly free kick and they launch it in where I thought Iorfa and Nuhui should have put a better challenge in on scorer,  Westwood had come out too far as well, if had stayed on his line it probably would have been a straightforward catch instead of dropping down behind him.

23 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

In terms of position we can’t complain too much but in a season which seems is there for the taking I believe if we play to our strengths and can keep players fit there’s no reason we can’t aim for top 2, nobody can tell me Preston are a better side than us yet sit top of the league 

Totally agree. 
But Preston have been 3 years in the making with the same boss we’ve had Jos, bullen, Agnew, Bruce, Bullen, monk since January. 

A good run and the league is anyone’s but we need to be realistic for a while 

I do think the prices to watch us play (which are top 2) is putting more pressure on a team that isn’t quite ready 

28 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Well to say some of our fans were predicting us to struggle, especially after Bruce had left. they should be over moon seeing us in 7th place and only a few points off an automatic spot.

Some fans aren't happy if they've nowt to moan about, some were at it even when we finished in play offs, considering we're having to offload some of big earners replacing most of them with freebies we're doing ok.

42 minutes ago, torres said:

With the signings we made I think I expected a bit more. I’d like to see more attack from us and less worrying about the opposition.  But we’ve been saying this for years.