Total Overreaction To Defeats

None of us have ever seen the Owls go a full season unbeaten and I doubt we ever will, great Owls sides have lost games we expected them to win and won others against the odds, why has it become a seemingly modern trait of fans to treat on defeat as an absolute calamity of epic proportions. Last week we put up a very good performance against the leagues current best side Leeds, people were saying we more than matched them, played some great football and should have won, one week later we lose to Blackburn in a game where two very influential midfielders are missing from the line up (Bannan & Luongo) and all of a sudden we are a mid table side, the manager should be replaced and we need 15 new signings, its quite staggering to hear the bile spilled especially when we are still in a decent position and everybody is beating each other (see Fulham v Hull).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Agreed.

Monk and the lads also have to be allowed to make mistakes, thats part of any process to becoming successful.

Of course we need a couple more players, but so do nearly every other team in the league.

Late goals are frustrating but tbh i would have accepted not getting relegated after cabbagio done one.

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s not that we lose games - it’s the manner of losing (or not winning) from winning positions, and it happens very regularly. Some of us cannot understand the mentality or tactics of defending a lead in your own penalty area. We should be defending our leads, in the main, in the oppositions half of the pitch, especially in the last 5 minutes. The last 2 away games have seen us throw away 5 points that would see us at the top. Inexcusable - these are professional footballers.

• Like 1

I think the problem is the performances rather than the defeats, even when we have been winning games this season its hard to say that we played particularly exciting or attractive football.  The Stoke game was a case in point, we got 3 points but it in pure entertainment terms it was absolute rubbish.  And Saturday again was poor, considering the cost of the tickets I think I have a right to moan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Leeds game, the intent shown and the pace of how we played to throwing it away at blackburn is a choker - of course it is  - but its early in Monks tenure, he is stuck with some average players - who we all know are 1 good game in 3 AT BEST 

If its the same in 12-18 months then its worth a moan 

The reaction on here is so very childish  - we've not won - so everything is rubbish

7 minutes ago, EasyTiger said:

I think the problem is the performances rather than the defeats, even when we have been winning games this season its hard to say that we played particularly exciting or attractive football.  The Stoke game was a case in point, we got 3 points but it in pure entertainment terms it was absolute rubbish.  And Saturday again was poor, considering the cost of the tickets I think I have a right to moan!

If you got promoted winning games in the manner of the Stoke game all would be good, we're a football team not the the Harlem Globetrotters.

11 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Saturday’s performance was a shambles.

Would have been daylight robbery had we held on at 0-1.

We got sucker-punched late on for the second time in 2 weeks, which is concerning.

Our choice of *ahem* tactics were questionable.

We were playing a Blackburn team in rancid form, not Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.

So why the hell did we set up with so many defensive players?

It isn’t an overreaction to expect better than total garbage.  Its called passion and it shows you care.

I wouldn't call totally slating the team and questioning the managers ability after a duff game when the points haul in general has been good "passion" to be honest.

• Thanks 1

Guest Kameron

Is not the defeats that’s hard to take of course we’re gunna lose games.  It’s the absolute total negative way in which we set up, it’s like having Jos back with Irvine assisting and Chris Turner as director of football.  

7 minutes ago, Kameron said:

Is not the defeats that’s hard to take of course we’re gunna lose games.  It’s the absolute total negative way in which we set up, it’s like having Jos back with Irvine assisting and Chris Turner as director of football.  

I didn't see that against Leeds, surely if promotion is the aim its got to be points over performances, our points haul so far looks good enough for a top six place.

12 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

I didn't say I did, I said that overbearing negativity isn't passion.

Apologises then, I couldn’t tell from your post what you were getting at.

Of course criticism can go too far sometimes.  But after Saturday, I think we’d be a pretty spineless fanbase if we just collectively shrugged our shoulders and only focused on the positives.

My general point was that observing where we’ve gone wrong is necessary to determining what it is we need to do to improve.

9 minutes ago, Kameron said:

giphy-20.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Actually, it’s the total overreactions to wins that are more comical.

And then the people who overreact to the wins are a bit snowflakey when people are critical of defeats.

Only on Owlstalk can people celebrating wins be classed as comical.

WTF: