8 minutes ago, folger said:

He was fine. Reach was the worst player on the pitch I don't know how you can think Joey played any worse.

Thought Reach had is best game for ages never stopped running taking the game to them when he could up and down the field all afternoon.

Joey by his standards had a decent game was never going to impose himself on the game but he put the effort in closed players down made a nuisance of himself.  He needs to get out of the habit of playing the safe ball all the time but he could walk off the field knowing that he had put in a decent shift.

To be honest none of the players deserve criticism considering the conditions and the opposition it was probably our best team performance of the season.    

Edited by Mycroft

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's a fair point. 

He was thrust in against one of the better sides in the division yesterday through circumstance. In an ideal world he would possibly not even have been on the bench for this game. Had Lees been fit he would have replaced Borner and had Luongo been fit he would have been in the midfield. 

It is a bit disappointing though that having put a lot of effort into improving the academy set up and having had some success at youth level, we haven't got a midfielder or two pushing to be 3rd or even 4th choice for the 1st team.

Lees for me will have to bide his time, no reason to drop Borner (unless this injury is long term) will have to wait till he loses form or is out injured and I'm an admirer of Lees.

Joey wasn’t great yesterday, but he didn’t have a stinker either. He played well in the cup against Everton alongside Luongo. 

I just don’t think him and Bannan work as a pair. Joey always looks for Bannan when he has the ball. When he played against Everton he took a bit more ownership of the ball and looked quite confident in possession. Strange one.

7 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

No team in the premier league would have Joey in their squad. You may have your opinion that he is good enough for us , which is open to debate , but premier league that really is verging on the ridiculous. 

Not sure wether you didn’t get what I meant or are being deliberately obtuse.

At no point did I say he’s PL quality.

I said that every team at this level, and the premier league, will have their Pelupessy equivalent. As in they’ll all have a player who’s possibly third choice in their position, keeps themselves fit and is genuinely positive around training...isn’t really good enough to be a mainstay in the match day 11 but he’ll do a job if asked upon.

You cannot fill a 30 man squad with 30 players who are all first eleven quality. You need squad depth, and the back ups need to be reliable, fit, ready to go at the drop of a hat & relatively content with knowing they’re not going to play much. Pelupessy fits the bill. 

I am the first to step in and defend Pelupessy on here as I can see what he brings to the team. But he didnt have his best game yesterday. I think had we taken the lead and looked to defend it, then that's when he would have seen much better from him.

He must play in a three man midfield though to be at his best as he does chase down the ball. (which to be fair is his job,which he is good at) but in a two it leaves a massive great hole in midfield.

12 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

He played alright, he's more mobile than Hutch and much better than he gets any credit for. Absolutely no coincidence that the first time Leeds really got through the middle of our midfield was about 90 seconds after he'd gone off.

Quite why people feel the need to belittle our players is beyond me. Did Adthe, Palmer and Fox finally prove you wrong? did Reach have a good game? Was the next one on your list Joey? If he didn't play would you have gone back to Palmer or maybe start trotting out old "Iorfa's too wreckless for CB" line?

They've all proven you wrong, get over it and support them.

You either didn't watch  yesterday's game or you're Joey's agent  / best mate.

11 hours ago, sage owl said:

You either didn't watch  yesterday's game or you're Joey's agent  / best mate.

Thank you for your input.

I'll let you off because of the Joe Strummer avatar, we'll just have to agree to disagree on Joey I guess. I'll keep on supporting him while he gives his all.

Joey did a job for us in midfield. He isn't going to take on the opponents team or spray 40 yard passes onto a sixpence, but what was noticeable yesterday was his work off the ball covering for team mates that had gone forward. He didnt let the team down against Leeds and I'm sure he will be called upon many times to do a job this season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Thank you for your input.

I'll let you off because of the Joe Strummer avatar, we'll just have to agree to disagree on Joey I guess. I'll keep on supporting him while he gives his all.

Tis a game of opinions I just never see Joey effect a game  ( didn't go v Everton  ).Going forward he offers very little and defensively seems to be out of position or slightly late to a situation on a regular basis .

As you say he does give 100 % and I'll support anyone who does that whenever they're playing. 

The thing is, when you have a squad you inherited you have your hands tied with what is available to you.   We have no clue if any of these players, Pelupessy included would be on Monks wish list if he were assembling his own squad.

Maybe it's because he came from a level of football not so intense, but I was lead to believe Pelupessy was some kind of midfield general which we haven't seen under any of the managers he's played for here - not a criticism, but when you expect one thing and get another you don't necessarily judge properly.

The vast, overwhelming majority of Wednesday fans always support our players and its quite comical how hysterical people on here get the moment any player is criticized.

My opinion FWIW on Pelupessy is that he is an honest trier who is not quite good enough for championship football, and if he is only going to be used sparingly then i would prefer us to use one of the U23,s...................won`t stop me "supporting" him if he does play however.

36 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

The vast, overwhelming majority of Wednesday fans always support our players and its quite comical how hysterical people on here get the moment any player is criticized.

My opinion FWIW on Pelupessy is that he is an honest trier who is not quite good enough for championship football, and if he is only going to be used sparingly then i would prefer us to use one of the U23,s...................won`t stop me "supporting" him if he does play however.

Joey is alot better than any u23 we got that could come in and play his role.

He does his job. If he wasnt capable Monk wouldn't have him in the squad. Like Rhodes isn't.