24 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Of course he isn’t good enough. He’s third choice CDM and fills a gap for a game here and there. We literally brought in Luongo cos Hutchinson isn’t reliable with his discipline and fitness....and...Joey isn’t good enough to plug the gaps he leaves long term. 

But every team at this level will have players like Joey. Who don’t really play but they’re cheap and add depth. They’re not good enough, they’re chomping at the bit to go when needed & keep themselves in good shape.

Hes not a bad footballer. He’s just not promotion material, and he’s limited. But we don’t need him to be. Cos he rarely plays. Unfortunately few teams have the budget to have a squad full of first eleven standard players. This isn’t a game of FIFA. 

Sam Winnall is gonna play at some point cos someone’s injured and he’ll get comments about him not scoring enough blah blah blah. Ashley Baker might get a game here or there. We might see David Bates one day. All these players may not be good enough for a side pushing for promotion. But they don’t really need to be. They just need to be ready and willing...and put in their best. And they will. They’re not players to get in a twist over. Every club has them...

It’s frustrating when Joey starts as I feel he’s just a passenger , we missed massimo yesterday 

4 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Yes we do. Need a left back and striker more but its about quality not quantity. If Joey is required to start games then yes we need better. 

Who then?

If you can find someone within our small budget, who’s happy to come to us just to play the odd game here and there & is also of a championship team in the play offs standard....then send your CV into the club to be a scout and an accountant all in one.

In all the games I’ve seen Joey in my only thought have been ‘he’s steady’. He’s unspectacular, he’s average, he works hard’ etc. He’s not horrifically bad. At no point this season has he played particularly badly.

So why are you wanting to spend money to replace him? He’s not someone who needs replacing. He literally wouldn’t have played yesterday if Borner didn’t get a knock with half hour to go...and if Luongo didn’t get injured mid week. That’s the circumstance that came together for him to play. And he played fine, we didn’t concede and desptite his attacking limitations...we as a team still created plenty opportunities and should have won the game. 

I don’t see the issue. Look at every single team in this league, even the PL, and they  will have a Joey Pelupessy equivalent.

16 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

But what does that even mean? No honestly... go with me on this... let's look into what it actually means to be "not good enough" in this context.

Joey has played a part in three games this season. In those three games, Sheffield Wednesday have not conceded a goal. Surely, unambiguously, the defensive midfielder has done their most basic job. yes you can argue about his contribution in those three games, but objectively his number one priority has been completed. 

So he's demonstrably not a liability when he is picked... the "not good enough" must stem from the fact that he isn't being picked very often? After all, playing in three games going into November is nothing, it's obvious he's well down the pecking order in the squad because of his limited appearances. The thing is... we're fourth in the table. I can understand the argument of "if we had a better player than Joey for those three games, we'd have done better in them"... because that's somewhat obvious. If we had had Messi instead of Pelupessy for those three games, I have no doubt we'd have more points on the table. But again, really obviously... Messi wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench for most games and only getting three appearances.

Unless of course, by "not good enough" you mean to say that we should have a better central midfielder (replacing one of Bannan, Hutch, Luongo or Lee) and then relegating one of those players to the Pelupessy role of "3 appearances going into November". Would that be the best use of our limited resources? Would any of those above players be happy with that arrangement? Would we then be accused of having far too many midfielders on big wages that can't get gametime? 

It's very easy to say "we need better" about a player on the team, because you could say that about every single player at the club at the moment, it's universally true. The more thing to do would be to ask the question "Do we need a better backup midfielder that's on track to play a part in about 12 games this season, or would the money spent on getting us that sort of player be better spent elsewhere on the pitch?"

I can’t disagree with some of what you are saying . He is a squad player with limited ability , it’s just frustrating when he has to start as compared to luongo it’s chalk and cheese .

Just now, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

It’s frustrating when Joey starts as I feel he’s just a passenger , we missed massimo yesterday 

Yes. Cos Massimo is better. We signed him because he’s better than Pelupessy.

But these are living human players. They get injured or can’t play sometimes. Squad depth is important for that reason but, unfortunately, these depth players aren’t going to be amazing. They keep themselves fit, they’re cheap, they work hard and are happy to be on hand when needed. Like Semedo in his final season.

To call Joey a passenger yesterday is harsh. It suggests he didn’t put a shift in. He did. He did his job, without the extras that you’ll get from Hutchinson and Luongo in the same position. Cos they are better players. We didn’t concede yesterday and our forward line created enough chances that we SHOULD have won the game.

Our failure to win yesterday isn’t because Pelupessy was playing and Luongo wasn’t. 

1 hour ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

The only negative yesterday unfortunately, understand he was thrown in at the deepend so I’ll cut him a bit of slack for that , thought he gave it away too much and was very rash with clearances. his passing is always the extra safe option and never imposes on a game . Personally don’t think he’s got enough quality at all but I suppose he was only a cheap buy and has done a job here and there.

thoughts ? 

Peasy is what he is. A back up midfield player . If he was an 8/10 player he would be playing every game. 

I'm in the nowt wrong with joey camp  ..never be a regular but can come in do a decent  job when needed ......if we are to sign anyone in January I'd be disappointed  if we waste what limited budget we have on a new 3rd choice cdm .

2 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

The only negative yesterday unfortunately, understand he was thrown in at the deepend so I’ll cut him a bit of slack for that , thought he gave it away too much and was very rash with clearances. his passing is always the extra safe option and never imposes on a game . Personally don’t think he’s got enough quality at all but I suppose he was only a cheap buy and has done a job here and there.

thoughts ? 

As I see it he did a man marking job on their best player and stopped them playing their usual game. He’s not the most gifted but yesterday he did a vital job that gave Bazza more freedom to play in the middle. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Hutchinson had me more worried with his pirouette in possession leaving Iorfa to rescue him.

Iorfa, love his marauding upfield runs, but it worries me when he finds he has to do something with the ball, ends up losing it and is out of position.

Bannan worries me with his sloppy, sometimes blind passes.

Its a Wednesday trait to try to do too much, to get caught out, and to put the opposition in with a good chance. Perhaps because he's less adventurous, Pellupessy's mistakes tend to be less serious, less worrisome, and, on the basis of yesterday, less frequent.

Disagree with that. One of dirtyleeds best chances came when their striker stood him up near the goal line and breezed past him resulting in Fox clearing off the line. He got caught out a few times wrong side of the ball and was bailed out by team mates covering.

Can't fault his passion or commitment, gives his all but is a level below the other options we have. 

2 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

He played alright, he's more mobile than Hutch and much better than he gets any credit for. Absolutely no coincidence that the first time Leeds really got through the middle of our midfield was about 90 seconds after he'd gone off.

Quite why people feel the need to belittle our players is beyond me. Did Adthe, Palmer and Fox finally prove you wrong? did Reach have a good game? Was the next one on your list Joey? If he didn't play would you have gone back to Palmer or maybe start trotting out old "Iorfa's too wreckless for CB" line?

They've all proven you wrong, get over it and support them.

Ex-f*ckin-actly 

We went back to a 2 in the middle yesterday and was up against one of the best midfields in the division. They had little success against us and JP played a big part in that 

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

Do we?

We really need a better 3rd choice CDM? Where are you finding one for our budget who’s also happy to not even be on the bench most weeks, and only appear there if there’s an injury or suspension? 

Unless we have a ready made unit in the under 23s who’s not gonna get blown over by a gust of wind....I’m perfectly happy with Joey playing 5 games a season.

We have so many other areas in the team that need improving. A third choice CDM replacement doesn’t even make the list.

It's a fair point. 

He was thrust in against one of the better sides in the division yesterday through circumstance. In an ideal world he would possibly not even have been on the bench for this game. Had Lees been fit he would have replaced Borner and had Luongo been fit he would have been in the midfield. 

It is a bit disappointing though that having put a lot of effort into improving the academy set up and having had some success at youth level, we haven't got a midfielder or two pushing to be 3rd or even 4th choice for the 1st team.

3 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

thoughts ? 

The whole team played well against a decent team tipped for promotion.

Why try to find a negative thought he had a good game.

Just another troll I guess.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

Who then?

If you can find someone within our small budget, who’s happy to come to us just to play the odd game here and there & is also of a championship team in the play offs standard....then send your CV into the club to be a scout and an accountant all in one.

In all the games I’ve seen Joey in my only thought have been ‘he’s steady’. He’s unspectacular, he’s average, he works hard’ etc. He’s not horrifically bad. At no point this season has he played particularly badly.

So why are you wanting to spend money to replace him? He’s not someone who needs replacing. He literally wouldn’t have played yesterday if Borner didn’t get a knock with half hour to go...and if Luongo didn’t get injured mid week. That’s the circumstance that came together for him to play. And he played fine, we didn’t concede and desptite his attacking limitations...we as a team still created plenty opportunities and should have won the game. 

I don’t see the issue. Look at every single team in this league, even the PL, and they  will have a Joey Pelupessy equivalent.

No team in the premier league would have Joey in their squad. You may have your opinion that he is good enough for us , which is open to debate , but premier league that really is verging on the ridiculous. 

Edited by ZicoSterland2

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's a fair point. 

He was thrust in against one of the better sides in the division yesterday through circumstance. In an ideal world he would possibly not even have been on the bench for this game. Had Lees been fit he would have replaced Borner and had Luongo been fit he would have been in the midfield. 

It is a bit disappointing though that having put a lot of effort into improving the academy set up and having had some success at youth level, we haven't got a midfielder or two pushing to be 3rd or even 4th choice for the 1st team.

I agree it is disappointing if we havent got a midfielder ready to push Joey for 3rd choice in the academy squad. The only one pushing looks to be Thorniley in defence and he hasnt had much of a look in lately.