2 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Jesus you'd be worried stepping out of your mansion to drive in your Aston Martin to fly in your private jet to your Caribbean holiday home!

Too true.

I'd be worried I'd wake up, the dream ends and I'm back in the reality of being a Wednesday fan.

• Haha 1

He played alright, he's more mobile than Hutch and much better than he gets any credit for. Absolutely no coincidence that the first time Leeds really got through the middle of our midfield was about 90 seconds after he'd gone off.

Quite why people feel the need to belittle our players is beyond me. Did Adthe, Palmer and Fox finally prove you wrong? did Reach have a good game? Was the next one on your list Joey? If he didn't play would you have gone back to Palmer or maybe start trotting out old "Iorfa's too wreckless for CB" line?

They've all proven you wrong, get over it and support them.

• Like 2

Guest LittleG

Didn't do too bad yesterday, worked hard but his passing not up to scratch. One good thing about his  involvement is that at least he doesn't play like a 3rd centre back as Hutch does. Hutch was brilliant yesterday at the back.

He had an unspectacular game yesterday but didn’t make any mistakes of note...

For a cheap defensive midfielder, who’s probably third choice in that position for us & was thrown in last minute, I’ll take it.

He can make a tackle and be pesty. He’s not got Hutchinson’s range of passing and won’t go driving forward like Luongo.

Not sure what others expect.

Yes there was a moment yesterday where we’d been barraging Leeds with attack after attack, the ball broke to Joey and he turned around and passed backwards. Yes it’s frustrating. But not many teams are going to have third choice CDM’s who play like Busquets 

Edited by FlyingOwl

19 minutes ago, clud17 said:

I dont think it helps he plays alongside Bannan. He had a chance in the first half, face to goal and space infront of him but his first reaction was to look back to see where Bannan was rather than take the ball into the space. Its almonst like he has had all his independent thought taken away and he must pass to Barry.

This.

A few opportunities have opened up for him to have a good shot on goal in other games but literally passed it 3 feet to bannan. 

Apparently a big part of the reason we bought Pelupessy was for his set peices and to have shots from distance! I think Jos coached this out of him! 

6 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Sadly against the better teams Joey is shown to be what he is a 400k bargain buy. His only asset is mobility but seriously lacks any vision or passing ability. Probably a league to high for his level of ability. Can't knock his effort though but we do need better.

Do we?

We really need a better 3rd choice CDM? Where are you finding one for our budget who’s also happy to not even be on the bench most weeks, and only appear there if there’s an injury or suspension? 

Unless we have a ready made unit in the under 23s who’s not gonna get blown over by a gust of wind....I’m perfectly happy with Joey playing 5 games a season.

We have so many other areas in the team that need improving. A third choice CDM replacement doesn’t even make the list.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Thanks 1

Sadly a lot of you jump to conclusions, I didn’t rate fox he has proved me wrong WHICH I AM HAPPY ABOUT and he’s been immense recently , I don’t dislike any player personally or want them to Play bad , I’m simply pointing out CURRENTLY Joey isn’t currently good enough , of course I want him to prove me wrong 

3 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

He had an unspectacular game yesterday but didn’t make any mistakes of note...

For a cheap defensive midfielder, who’s probably third choice in that position for us & was thrown in last minute, I’ll take it.

I thought Nketiah got passed him far too easily when he created that excellent chance for Harrison (?). But for Fox's goal-line clearance they'd have been level.

Still, other than that, I thought Pelupessy did mostly okay. I'd love for him to get to grips with this league, and though I think he's certainly improved since when he first signed, I'm not sure he's ever going to make that final step up to the point where his speed of action is quick enough.

10 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Sadly a lot of you jump to conclusions, I didn’t rate fox he has proved me wrong WHICH I AM HAPPY ABOUT and he’s been immense recently , I don’t dislike any player personally or want them to Play bad , I’m simply pointing out CURRENTLY Joey isn’t currently good enough , of course I want him to prove me wrong 

Of course he isn’t good enough. He’s third choice CDM and fills a gap for a game here and there. We literally brought in Luongo cos Hutchinson isn’t reliable with his discipline and fitness....and...Joey isn’t good enough to plug the gaps he leaves long term. 

But every team at this level will have players like Joey. Who don’t really play but they’re cheap and add depth. They’re not good enough, they’re chomping at the bit to go when needed & keep themselves in good shape.

Hes not a bad footballer. He’s just not promotion material, and he’s limited. But we don’t need him to be. Cos he rarely plays. Unfortunately few teams have the budget to have a squad full of first eleven standard players. This isn’t a game of FIFA. 

Sam Winnall is gonna play at some point cos someone’s injured and he’ll get comments about him not scoring enough blah blah blah. Ashley Baker might get a game here or there. We might see David Bates one day. All these players may not be good enough for a side pushing for promotion. But they don’t really need to be. They just need to be ready and willing...and put in their best. And they will. They’re not players to get in a twist over. Every club has them...

Edited by FlyingOwl

23 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

But what does that even mean? No honestly... go with me on this... let's look into what it actually means to be "not good enough" in this context.

Joey has played a part in three games this season. In those three games, Sheffield Wednesday have not conceded a goal. Surely, unambiguously, the defensive midfielder has done their most basic job. yes you can argue about his contribution in those three games, but objectively his number one priority has been completed. 

So he's demonstrably not a liability when he is picked... the "not good enough" must stem from the fact that he isn't being picked very often? After all, playing in three games going into November is nothing, it's obvious he's well down the pecking order in the squad because of his limited appearances. The thing is... we're fourth in the table. I can understand the argument of "if we had a better player than Joey for those three games, we'd have done better in them"... because that's somewhat obvious. If we had had Messi instead of Pelupessy for those three games, I have no doubt we'd have more points on the table. But again, really obviously... Messi wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench for most games and only getting three appearances.

Unless of course, by "not good enough" you mean to say that we should have a better central midfielder (replacing one of Bannan, Hutch, Luongo or Lee) and then relegating one of those players to the Pelupessy role of "3 appearances going into November". Would that be the best use of our limited resources? Would any of those above players be happy with that arrangement? Would we then be accused of having far too many midfielders on big wages that can't get gametime? 

It's very easy to say "we need better" about a player on the team, because you could say that about every single player at the club at the moment, it's universally true. The more thing to do would be to ask the question "Do we need a better backup midfielder that's on track to play a part in about 12 games this season, or would the money spent on getting us that sort of player be better spent elsewhere on the pitch?"

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Do we?

We really need a better 3rd choice CDM? Where are you finding one for our budget who’s also happy to not even be on the bench most weeks, and only appear there if there’s an injury or suspension? 

Unless we have a ready made unit in the under 23s who’s not gonna get blown over by a gust of wind....I’m perfectly happy with Joey playing 5 games a season.

We have so many other areas in the team that need improving. A third choice CDM replacement doesn’t even make the list.

Yes we do. Need a left back and striker more but its about quality not quantity. If Joey is required to start games then yes we need better. 

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

But what does that even mean? No honestly... go with me on this... let's look into what it actually means to be "not good enough" in this context.

Joey has played a part in three games this season. In those three games, Sheffield Wednesday have not conceded a goal. Surely, unambiguously, the defensive midfielder has done their most basic job. yes you can argue about his contribution in those three games, but objectively his number one priority has been completed. 

So he's demonstrably not a liability when he is picked... the "not good enough" must stem from the fact that he isn't being picked very often? After all, playing in three games going into November is nothing, it's obvious he's well down the pecking order in the squad because of his limited appearances. The thing is... we're fourth in the table. I can understand the argument of "if we had a better player than Joey for those three games, we'd have done better in them"... because that's somewhat obvious. If we had had Messi instead of Pelupessy for those three games, I have no doubt we'd have more points on the table. But again, really obviously... Messi wouldn't be happy sitting on the bench for most games and only getting three appearances. Considering our financial position, the concluding question becomes: Who would be a better player to have on the bench instead of Pelupessy who would   a) cost the same or less in wages    and     b) be happy to have the same number of limited appearances

Unless of course, by "not good enough" you mean to say that we should have a better central midfielder (replacing one of Bannan, Hutch, Luongo or Lee) and then relegating one of those players to the Pelupessy role of "3 appearances going into November". Would that be the best use of our limited resources? Would any of those above players be happy with that arrangement? Would we then be accused of having far too many midfielders on big wages that can't get gametime? 

It's very easy to say "we need better" about a player on the team, because you could say that about every single player at the club at the moment, it's universally true. The more thing to do would be to ask the question "Do we need a better backup midfielder that's on track to play a part in about 12 games this season, or would the money spent on getting us that sort of player be better spent elsewhere on the pitch?"

Read your audience my friend.

He won't have the mental capacity to read the first few sentences of that lol

7 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Thought he played OK. He wasnt bad by any stretch.

Everyone played very well yesterday.

People expecting our 3rd choice defensive mid to play like Claude Makelele is pretty sad.

They expect him to be Zidane mate.  Ridiculous...