Wednesday in the Championship the reality

22 hours ago, s6 owl said:

We'll never achieve anything with this squad they just don't have the mentality individually and collectively to mount a successful promotion challenge and it's been the case for years. 

Boom. You’ve just won Owlstalk :duntmatter:

17 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Reality is we have fletcher Harris , Palmer , Iorfa who are great and we have Hutchinson , Bannan , reach , Bannan who are mediocre / past it ... hence mid table . 

You know they will sing this now dont you?

"Theres only two Barry Bannans" 

WTF: FFS ....

• Haha 4

We are 3 points off second.....

We have needed more physicality since losing to Hull the first time. I thought that was why we had signed Luongo, but he cannot get a kick.  Between now and Jan, Monk has to pick one of Winnall or Rhodes and give them a run. Both are short of sharpness and confidence. Both will only come with games, we cannot rely on Fletch. It looks like he has picked Winnall, so we’ve got to give him a few more games before jumping on his back. Reach has definitely got to rediscover his mojo and start scoring some goals.

We aren’t miles away. I think Monk has started really well and will get the most from the squad til he can make some changes.

21 hours ago, sMacLean said:

The amount of games we've had where a win puts us right in the mix and we haven't won it is incredible.

Has to be a sports psychology issue.

There are a lot of sides like that. Prpbably most of them. Each year a couple break the mould and win consistently, they are the ones that get promotion.

We are a good team on our day but the truth is we aren't a great side so some games the opposition will find a way to stop us and beat us. A few times we will beat ourselves through lack of application.

We aren't far away but we don't have that extra spark or bit of class that makes the difference. FF had it but it seems he's hidden it somewhere and can't find it. Maybe Monk can create a bit of magic.It's a case of wait and see.....again. Trouble is we've been waiting 20 years.

5 minutes ago, prowl said:

We are a good team on our day but the truth is we aren't a great side so some games the opposition will find a way to stop us and beat us. A few times we will beat ourselves through lack of application.

This is bang on the money. The way we beat ourselves is simple to see and we do it regular. Our running off the ball deteriorates due to fitness/age issues and then our passing becomes really slow and ponderous. The opposition clock this and just set about us. Cue mistake by a Fox or Palmer and bingo, we lose. A Lee of 4 years ago, more mobile forwards or a fitter midfield fixes this.

13 hours ago, Pieman said:

This is bang on the money. The way we beat ourselves is simple to see and we do it regular. Our running off the ball deteriorates due to fitness/age issues and then our passing becomes really slow and ponderous. The opposition clock this and just set about us. Cue mistake by a Fox or Palmer and bingo, we lose. A Lee of 4 years ago, more mobile forwards or a fitter midfield fixes this.

We've had 3 managers since July, differing systems to learn, a soft embargo, unbalanced squad and lack of player funds. Where does anyone see the basis for condistency!?

Monk has inherited this state of affairs and so far is doing well to get reasonable results out of a patchwork squad. It takes time to rebuild a team with a winning mentality. He keeps saying this to dampen the fans expectations, but we still want to be instant world beaters. Its not practical or reasonable. Monk needs time to work on strategy, fitness, awareness and confidence. He also needs time to recruit his own players. So lets just all chill out, enjoy the wins, don't get too down about the losses and support the club as it goes through a slow, but positive period of transition.

There is nothing new the Owls have been this way since the late 80's over reliant on one or two players cover the others under performing, In the hey days everything went through Waddle, then it was Carbone and DiCanio, then we had everything going through Brunt, now Bannan and Fletcher.

What needs to happen is a lot of players need to take a long hard look at themselves and decide if they want to be at our great football club, the midfield this season has massively under performed, the defence have made silly mistakes at important times and other than Fletcher none of the strikers are scoring regularly.

We have had possible the easiest run of fixtures at the start of a season in my 40+ years of supporting the club and find ourselves in 9th if we beat Wigan on Saturday we could be top 6 if we lose we could be bottom half of the table.

I have stopped trying to predict which team will turn up with the club but some big players for us such as Reach, Bannan, Hutch, Palmer, Westwood need to start getting more consistent with their performances. We cannot move forward as a team with players who perform in 1 on 3 games. 

21 hours ago, james o connor said:

Reality is we have fletcher Harris , Palmer , Iorfa who are great and we have Hutchinson , Bannan , reach , Bannan who are mediocre / past it ... hence mid table . 

Do give over...Bannan is vital to the side as it stands at the minute..Don't take my word for it..look at the stats and listen to the opposition, to the pundits, to the opposing fans...

Give me the viable option for not playing Bannan in the side we have?

There isn't one

• Thanks 2

On 02/10/2019 at 08:53, torres said:

We are not on our own - most players at this level have the ability, but do it 1 every 3.

It takes a real culture shift and a manager with a backbone to change it.

The manager down the road did it perfectly.

You get consistency in performance the results will look after themselves over a season.

Hopefully Monk gets time to install this mentality 

This is whats so annoying.  Everyone knows the self evident truth that you need consistency to be successful. This is what Wilder has got out of a bunch of players who are journeymen. he has somehow got them to believe they are better than they are whereas we have managed to get potentially good players like Reach, Winnall, Rhodes  and even Tom Lees to play below their capabilites.

Even after 50 years I foolishly thought that another performance like Saturday was possible at Hull. Having said all that if the penalty had been awarded we could have snatched a draw. But we don't get penalties do we. Thats the third this season that Murphy should have had.

On 02/10/2019 at 06:39, LittleG said:

So the reason we are poor and inconsistent is purely down to Rhodes.; he influenced the other players last night to play rubbish. So you don't think our problems stem deeper than Rhodes.  The fact that we still need a left back, the midfield is not good enough or, apart from Fletcher, our strikers are garbage. I get you don't rate Rhides( neither do I) but to put all the blame on his shoulders is ridiculous.

No, it wasn't all Rhodes fault.

I do rate Rhodes, or at least Rhodes as was.

Karanka did for him in my view.

The platitudes of "How good the Championship is"..Mean nowt......

Its probably the most competetive league in the world!

Why would you not want to involved in that!!!!!

Because its not the Prem...

Thats the simple answer....

We want to see The Owls mentioned on the telly..How good the support is...How big a club we are....could be...once were

We want the money, we want the kudos..We want to be wanted....

Sadly thats the way football is...being mentioned by such as Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton....10 minutes on f.ookin' talksport....as though these semi literate screaming child like wannabees are the epitome of football....

We have ALL mainly bought into it....and we all scrabble up the ladder to get there...Its not football..its money, its business

Its not history...Its buying tin pots at a f.ookin' market....

We get to the Prem and we cream our f.ookin' britches at drawing away at Anfield....scrabblin' a 1-0 at West Ham...been there f.ookin' done it.

I'm not slagging anyone off...I want the same, but I'm ashamed of wanting it...

What do I get...?

The warm feeling of holding our own, midtable in the Premiership?

Winning nowt....The warm feeling of being there while adding nothing to the history of a proud club?

Thats all thats on offer....paddling in the shallow end an' shoutin' 

"Look Dad...I'm swimming...."

While all you are doing is walkin' on the bottom

Yep..I want it....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

The platitudes of "How good the Championship is"..Mean nowt......

Its probably the most competetive league in the world!

Why would you not want to involved in that!!!!!

Because its not the Prem...

Thats the simple answer....

We want to see The Owls mentioned on the telly..How good the support is...How big a club we are....could be...once were

We want the money, we want the kudos..We want to be wanted....

Sadly thats the way football is...being mentioned by such as Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton....10 minutes on f.ookin' talksport....as though these semi literate screaming child like wannabees are the epitome of football....

We have ALL mainly bought into it....and we all scrabble up the ladder to get there...Its not football..its money, its business

Its not history...Its buying tin pots at a f.ookin' market....

We get to the Prem and we cream our f.ookin' britches at drawing away at Anfield....scrabblin' a 1-0 at West Ham...been there f.ookin' done it.

I'm not slagging anyone off...I want the same, but I'm ashamed of wanting it...

What do I get...?

The warm feeling of holding our own, midtable in the Premiership?

Winning nowt....The warm feeling of being there while adding nothing to the history of a proud club?

Thats all thats on offer....paddling in the shallow end an' shoutin' 

"Look Dad...I'm swimming...."

While all you are doing is walkin' on the bottom

Yep..I want it....

Probably the best post I have ever read

On 03/10/2019 at 23:02, wednesdaywizard said:

What's funny is that this has been a trend over the las few seasons.  Get a good win in late september/early october and then don't follow it up.

Oh for some consistency!

well, the right flavour of consistency!

90% of teams in a league have consistency problems; the fact the bottom can beat the top in the Championship just adds to conundrum. 

Look at Stoke winning at Swansea!