Wednesday in the Championship the reality

Most Wednesday result ever right? 

Thats the reality of this squad and has been every year. Mentality wise they can't cope with playing well several times in close sucession. Mad thing is neither can many others. Frustrating but a dose of reality that this is what we are. 

I just don't think they're good enough consistently. Their goal just came from a few missed passes, and tackles then they cross which our defender switches off and leaves his man 5 yrd behind him with a free header.

Our passing isn't accurate and crisp in the final third; our moment is slow and composure in front of goal is poor.

That was so typical of this group of players. 

A brilliant result/performance and then a nothing loss a few days later when we have the chance to kick on/make a statement. 

The most frustrating thing is - there is an opportunity to do something this season! 

Leeds, West Brom and Fulham aside I think it's all much of the muchness. 

15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

A brilliant result/performance and then a nothing loss a few days later when we have the chance to kick on/make a statement. 

The most frustrating thing is - there is an opportunity to do something this season! 

Then three sides will go clear, the rest - meh

Bang average league and again - we have a bang average side to not take advantage 

We have a thin 11 capable of maybe getting top 8, but our bench is so awful we can’t change a game.

2 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Then three sides will go clear, the rest - meh

Bang average league and again - we have a bang average side to not take advantage 

We have a thin 11 capable of maybe getting top 8, but our bench is so awful we can’t change a game.

We probably do have a shot due to the "meh"ness of much of the division...

But I'm not convinced this group of players have it in them. 

Think it was Roy Keane who said it (when describing the current set of Man U players), but it was along the lines of "they've let you down before and they'll do it again." 

With a strike force of winnall ,rhodes and nuhiu didn't expect anything less

Can't be a worse 3 forwards at this level

We missed our main striker and top goalscorer 

Said it after selling joao,we need better options upfront 

Well I have been watching for 45 years.

We have done this for 45 years

We will probably do it for another 45 years.

The skill with watching Wednesday is to prepare for the worst and be happy when it fails to materialise 

Guest The Horse
Just now, TINKERBELL said:

Long way to go yet, let's see who garry brings in the January window. 

Wednesday have always been frustrating it's our way 

I get where you're coming from but we really need to shake this 'Wednesday Way' thing.

It's illustrative of a wider mindset in Yorkshire in general that negative things in life are inevitable.

Balls to that.

Winners both in football and life in general never settle for accepting mediocrity.

You play / live to win or die trying.

That team tonight was capable of so much more but we were always second best tonight because Hull wanted it more.

Hull were quicker, sharper and had more desire. If you can't match the opposition for that, you're doomed from kick off.

We're far away from dominating games and playing with intensity and having teams fear us the way Leeds play.

It'll take Monk a good season at least to get us into that state.

But we were still better than that tonight and the fact we couldn't match an average Hull side in terms of desire is inexcusable.

Rant over and never expect / accept 'Typical Wednesday'.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy otherwise.

26 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Completely agree. We are a typical midtable side. We have the occasional great result (Saturday) followed by a frustrating result (tonight) with a few ground out results (Luton, Fulham) and some really tosh ones (Preston, Millwall).

We haven't ever managed to sustain any real consistency with this squad, even in the play off seasons which is why we finished top 6 not top 2. Teams that finish in top 2 don't keep losing to teams like Preston, Millwall and Hull. When they do lose it's a shock. I come to expect it with us. Tonight's result came as no surprise. It's just cruel because they flirt with our expectations when we get results like Saturday. 

It's not really a moan. It's just a reality check. We are where we are. Certain players are just too inconsistent and some are sadly not good enough anymore. Hopefully Monk will be given the time to rebuild and reshape and we go again with a younger fresher squad.