Adam Reach

On 02/10/2019 at 13:35, attyjake said:

Totally disinterested und really unfit, that beer belly for a pro footballer is unacceptable, I've seen fitter on the park pitch on a Sunday!

:tango:

He is not overweight. I was sat about 2 rows back on Saturday and there was zero sign of any beer belly

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

He is not overweight. I was sat about 2 rows back on Saturday and there was zero sign of any beer belly

Must admit I watched it on telly but he looked chubby to me, maybe TV puts a stone on.  He was still lethargic 

though.

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

Struggle to see Adam Reach getting overweight. 

He seems to be naturally quite lean.

Doesn't strike me as the type to let himself go. 

On 03/10/2019 at 01:26, DJMortimer said:

A difficult opinion to justify given that 7 managers have combined to give him 244 appearances so far.

A good point and he does have an impact when he comes on. The majority of his appearances are either from the bench or because of injury to 1st choice strikers. But in terms of him being a footballer, he is very limited not very effective.

For me Reach is a great player, but I don't like to see him play on right wing. His instincts seem to be all wrong and so many times he ends up hugging the line and putting in crosses with his weaker right foot. Ross Wallace knew how to play this role much better and created situations to cut in on his left foot much better. Unlike Reach he used to put in great crosses from deep position never getting to the byline to cross with his weaker foot.

I think players like Reach and Bannan are criticised harshly due to their high standards. I’m guilty of it myself with Bannan especially. We know what they can do, and when they do that they are easily 8-9 out of 10 players. But when they have an average 6-7 out of 10 game they’re all of a sudden dire, passengers, not trying, lethargic, fat.... just some of the crazy things I’ve read in last day or so. 

They're just victims of their own high standards and quality. If we had 11 players of their quality we’d be top of the league on my opinion. Both of them being in the divisions team of the month despite the negative views on here is no surprise.  

On 05/10/2019 at 10:23, Philb125 said:

I think players like Reach and Bannan are criticised harshly due to their high standards. I’m guilty of it myself with Bannan especially. We know what they can do, and when they do that they are easily 8-9 out of 10 players. But when they have an average 6-7 out of 10 game they’re all of a sudden dire, passengers, not trying, lethargic, fat.... just some of the crazy things I’ve read in last day or so. 

They're just victims of their own high standards and quality. If we had 11 players of their quality we’d be top of the league on my opinion. Both of them being in the divisions team of the month despite the negative views on here is no surprise.  

The Wigan game was a 3/10 IMO though and I love Reach.  He's really not had a good season, by his own admission after seeing interviews with him before the Boro game.  

He's just in one of those periods though.  He'll come good.  If he was banging in 25 yarders every week, he'd be snapped up by a Prem side!  Maybe he just needs a rest.  

He doesnt give up though, you have to give him crediot....he kept trying and trying against Wigan.  Nothing came off for him (apart from the simple pass for the goal) but he didn't shirk asking fore the ball.  Which I think is why he got a good reception (even though he'd had a shi**er) when he was subbed and had to walk past 1/2 of the ground because of the new rules!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

The Wigan game was a 3/10 IMO though and I love Reach.  He's really not had a good season, by his own admission after seeing interviews with him before the Boro game.  

He's just in one of those periods though.  He'll come good.  If he was banging in 25 yarders every week, he'd be snapped up by a Prem side!  Maybe he just needs a rest.  

He doesnt give up though, you have to give him crediot....he kept trying and trying against Wigan.  Nothing came off for him (apart from the simple pass for the goal) but he didn't shirk asking fore the ball.  Which I think is why he got a good reception (even though he'd had a shi**er) when he was subbed and had to walk past 1/2 of the ground because of the new rules!

this is kind of my point, in our opinions he’s not having a good season or game. He says he could be doing better, we know he can be better. But he’s far from having a sh1tter according to unbiased independent scoring - his season average is just under 7/10 with worst rating at 6.41. 

7E8D6815-3D92-4FB8-9C88-FD5410879CE1.jpeg

Agree with those saying it’s all relative. He’s not been as good as we’ve seen him of late - but in the past we’ve seen him carry the team pretty much single-handed for the best part of 12 months, bang in five absolute worldies in a season, and for about three years be literally our only player who could get down the byline and cross. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a bit knackered. Earned the right to some patience during a middling patch, at the very least.

Edited by Mr. Tom

5 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Agree with those saying it’s all relative. He’s not been as good as we’ve seen him of late - but in the past we’ve seen him carry the team pretty much single-handed for the best part of 12 months, bang in five absolute worldies in a season, and for about three years be literally our only player who could get down the byline and cross. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a bit knackered. Earned the right to some patience during a middling patch, at the very least.

Exactly. Reach hasn't been at his best so far this season, but he's still putting in a shift for the team and isn't hiding like some do when things aren't going their way. Three assists and a goal already this season is hardly a terrible return and it just goes to show the high standards we hold him to that it feels underwhelming.

That's the thing - one the eye, he's looking to have a mare - by the stats, he's still producing even when he's supposed to be going through a bad patch. 

Funny situation - but Murphy certainly won't be taking his position if he plays anything like he did when he came off the bench on Saturday 

On 01/10/2019 at 22:45, oldishowl said:

He just didn’t seem bothered if he gave the ball away .

This is what really annoys me when he plays like that.

Everybody has bad games but for gods sake take a bit of responsibility 

This, 100% :)

It's good that we seem confident in our play and will try the odd back heel and fancy stuff to slot someone through on their defence. And I noted this happened a lot of times on Saturday. Fletcher, Harris, etc. would hold the ball, make a feint then flick a back heel pass onward or sideward and _connect_ and if they came up a bit short, they'd immediately fight for it. Even Murphy did when he subbed on. But I noted Reach was trying this kind of stuff too, and couldn't complete these technical passes, and then just concede that it was lost possession.

He's been a great player for us, and I hope this and other episodes of lack of concentration recently are just a blip in his form and that he will bounce back.

Everyone can make mistakes, but own up to them and fight to set it right again after, dig in and not be a liability out there on the pitch.

41 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly. Reach hasn't been at his best so far this season, but he's still putting in a shift for the team and isn't hiding like some do when things aren't going their way. Three assists and a goal already this season is hardly a terrible return and it just goes to show the high standards we hold him to that it feels underwhelming.

crazy isn’t it, he’s contributed to 4 goals by way of assist or goal; deemed to be having bad season, some say not worthy of the short etc. Harris contribution is 3 goals by way of assist or goal and he’s a revelation that’s being talked about as early candidate for player of season. 

I get that stats don’t tell the whole story but fact some on here continually rate him sub par (1-5 out of 10) in ratings section and many saying how he’s not adding value is ludicrous. That’s based on both my opinion and what popular ratings /stats sites have ranked as an unbiased view. 

41 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

crazy isn’t it, he’s contributed to 4 goals by way of assist or goal; deemed to be having bad season, some say not worthy of the short etc. Harris contribution is 3 goals by way of assist or goal and he’s a revelation that’s being talked about as early candidate for player of season. 

I get that stats don’t tell the whole story but fact some on here continually rate him sub par (1-5 out of 10) in ratings section and many saying how he’s not adding value is ludicrous. That’s based on both my opinion and what popular ratings /stats sites have ranked as an unbiased view. 

Some Wednesday fans don't seem to have taken to Reach ever since he signed.

Perhaps it's his slightly languid style or the fact that he doesn't appear to relish the physical side of the game as much as some others, but he has to be at his very best, banging in twenty-yarders every fortnight for some to hold off with their criticism of him.

Any Wednesday fan can see that he's going through a sticky patch, but he still has the quality to contribute in the decisive moments of games and he's still putting in a shift for the team. Maybe the international break will give him a chance to regroup and come back firing on all cylinders, but if not, he's still contributing a lot to our cause in the meantime.