Adam Reach

3 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Agree with those saying it’s all relative. He’s not been as good as we’ve seen him of late - but in the past we’ve seen him carry the team pretty much single-handed for the best part of 12 months, bang in five absolute worldies in a season, and for about three years be literally our only player who could get down the byline and cross. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a bit knackered. Earned the right to some patience during a middling patch, at the very least.

Hopefully the breaks come at a good time for him then 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

That's the thing - one the eye, he's looking to have a mare - by the stats, he's still producing even when he's supposed to be going through a bad patch. 

Funny situation - but Murphy certainly won't be taking his position if he plays anything like he did when he came off the bench on Saturday 

Indeed...either way, the rest will do Reach good, but also, I'd not mind with Monk starting FF and Harris on either wing, to give him a break.  

And we've got matches Friday/Tuesday/Saturday, so we might see players rested anyway and FF starting one of those.  

13 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Exactly. Reach hasn't been at his best so far this season, but he's still putting in a shift for the team and isn't hiding like some do when things aren't going their way. Three assists and a goal already this season is hardly a terrible return and it just goes to show the high standards we hold him to that it feels underwhelming.

Yep. I mean individual ‘match ratings’ on any given week are one thing, but you’d have to literally not be watching matches for months on end to miss the fact that he’s consistently a very key part in almost anything really good we do as a team. He’s so obviously one of our best players in several years, in or out of weekly form.

Edited by Mr. Tom

10 hours ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Don't really get this constant sniping of Reach. Scores goals contributes assists but slated on here. He might not be the best tackler ,thats not his game ,but he always does his yardage. Also seems to be the one who is forced to play out of position on a regular basis.

Exactly. Horses for courses. If he was *also* a frequent middle-of-park ballwinner, he’d literally be a £15m player and we’d never have got a sniff. As it stands he’s probably worth 25% more than what we paid for him on the open market, and more like 50% to the 2019 Wednesday starting XI.

If you want your forwards to get in the box and get service into them for me we need to be playing reach on his natural left and Harris on his right, yes allow them to have a swap over if we're struggling to break teams down or want to play more narrow. 

Still think like Rhodes he's a prime example of our terrible transfer dealings a few years ago, he's not a bad player, but was hugely overpriced. Especially then when cabbage head brings in Harris for free. 

11 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

If you want your forwards to get in the box and get service into them for me we need to be playing reach on his natural left and Harris on his right, yes allow them to have a swap over if we're struggling to break teams down or want to play more narrow. 

Still think like Rhodes he's a prime example of our terrible transfer dealings a few years ago, he's not a bad player, but was hugely overpriced. Especially then when cabbage head brings in Harris for free. 

Actually speechless at how daft this is.

So just to be clear, because 26 year old Kadeem Harris was available on a free to us in 2019, we shouldn't have signed then 23 year old Adam Reach for £5m in 2016... a player who has been almost omnipresent in the starting xi since joining. 

Here's the obvious question... who should we have signed in 2016 to play on the left wing/left back/right wing/centre midfield/attacking midfielder? To win the game, the player needs to

a) be close to as versatile as Adam Reach has been 

b) been available for less than £5m in the summer of 2016

c) has a record which shows he can play 40+ games a season for 3 consecutive seasons 

d) has at least 75% of the number of goals and assist as Reach in either the Championship or a comparative league

e) would realistically have signed for Wednesday in the summer of 2016

The best part about this game is that you even have the benefit of hindsight... instead of pretending you're in 2016 and trying to anticipate how good they've been, you can look back from today and see how good they have been. 

So, who should we have signed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So just to be clear, because 26 year old Kadeem Harris was available on a free to us in 2019, we shouldn't have signed then 23 year old Adam Reach for £5m in 2016... a player who has been almost omnipresent in the starting xi since joining. 

Here's the obvious question... who should we have signed in 2016 to play on the left wing/left back/right wing/centre midfield/attacking midfielder? To win the game, the player needs to

c) has a record which shows he can play 40+ games a season for 3 consecutive seasons 

d) has at least 75% of the number of goals and assist as Reach in either the Championship or a comparative league

The best part about this game is that you even have the benefit of hindsight... instead of pretending you're in 2016 and trying to anticipate how good they've been, you can look back from today and see how good they have been. 

f) Go missing for 65 minutes most games

g) Be allergic to any physical contact

h) Play in every position because you don't quite do well in any of them for 2 games in a row

i) Make people think you've been good for a while but always play like you ''need a rest''

j) Score 4 brilliant goals a season to make certain people think you are playing well

k) Be overshadowed by the new signing on the opposite wing 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

I said he was a good player my comment was more on the price we payed at the time. 

We payed out at the time our club record transfer fee of £5million plus for a player (before Rhodes). 

He spent most of his time here being shuffled about here there and everywhere without quite nailing down an actual Best position for the lad and half of the time as a sub in those first two seasons two. 

As I said it was more the fee payed and our inept dealings in the transfer market I was commenting on. 

Yes he's a pretty good player and OK as a utility player when asked to, but just like Rhodes not justified being a record signing. Look at our dealings when we were cash strapped before Dc came in, we've had far more value for money, Westwood, Lees, hutch, Wallace, Lee etc. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

35 minutes ago, Barberphobia said:

He has been available for nearly every game since he signed.  If he "got stuck in" and tackled like Sam Hutchinson, we'd be lucky to get 20 games a season out of him.  Is being fit for 40+ games a season price worth paying for "neshing" a few tackles?

I like how you downplay the importance of tackling, it's very leftfield. Maybe none of our team should tackle, our injury record would be the best in the league!

I'm not downplaying its importance, but like every other part of the game, the individual will manage that aspect how they see fit.  If Mr Reach thinks that he has the balance right between the effectiveness of his tackling and self preservation, that is a discussion that needs to be had between him, his colleagues and management.  I'm sure if Garry Monk thinks he is being a fanny, words will be had.  I like players to get stuck in, as long as they can do it properly.  Some players are great at it (a tacke by Zico Sterland comes to mind when the attacker went six foot up in the air and you could hear the thud from the back of the Kop), others not so.  I'm sure he can improve, but is it worth it being a detriment to his fitness if he starts flying in willy-nilly?

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:14, ZicoSterland2 said:

Don't really get this constant sniping of Reach. Scores goals contributes assists but slated on here. He might not be the best tackler ,thats not his game ,but he always does his yardage. Also seems to be the one who is forced to play out of position on a regular basis.

He gets stuck in, can press and is a major assist contributor. I think he's one of our most important players, but just looks more ineffective than he actually is when it doesn't come off or gets nullified by the opposition. Constantly shifting positions hasn't helped. Banging those goals in last season painted a target on his back imo. Opposing teams are now increasingly trying to manage him out of the games.

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Reach being part of anything good we do? I think there is a large emporers new clothes element to Adam reach

Watch this season’s highlights and see how often he is “part of anything good we do”.

You’ll get a shock.

3 hours ago, torres said:

f) Go missing for 65 minutes most games

g) Be allergic to any physical contact

h) Play in every position because you don't quite do well in any of them for 2 games in a row

i) Make people think you've been good for a while but always play like you ''need a rest''

j) Score 4 brilliant goals a season to make certain people think you are playing well

k) Be overshadowed by the new signing on the opposite wing 

h) Be moved into different positions to cover injuries, without complaint, for the good of the team.

j) 8 last season

28 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Why is it that reach constantly gets criticised for not winning 50/50s but hutch never gets criticised for not being able to cross or for not scoring enough goals? 

No one is having a go for him not being Roy Keane, it's the fact he is like a scared school girl anytime anyone is within 5 yards of him. The total lack of any effort to win the ball back - yes he runs about but with not one bit of intent to get the ball

Look at Harris, he can't tackle either, but he harries the opposition, Fletcher does it, Bannan, Winnall, FF etc etc 

I think that is all most are asking for

If his offensive side of the game was so good it far outweighed the lack of any defensive side, it wouldn't be as much of an issue . ... . . but it isn't!

No one is saying he's complete garbage, he just lacks enough presence on the pitch for the majority of most games he plays.

• Haha 1

Just now, 2roland2 said:

Absolute rubbish. Do you actually ever watch football matches? He covers more ground than any other player on our team, and  always chases back. 

Im not sure what games you watch tbh

HA HA HA 

I have said he runs about a lot

Read again and get back to me Roland Special Pencil 

• Haha 2