Adam Reach

The problem with Reach is his 50/50's.

He pulls out/bottles quite a lot of them. This could be why people think of him as too "lightweight" or that he doesn't make any tackles/interceptions. 

Would love to see him toughen up a little bit and really go into these 50/50 balls. 

It’s cos Hutchinson is reyt hard init and likes to chase players around and put in reckless tackles.

If only Reach did the same. Because that’s what really matters.

In all seriousness... sick to death of the perceived slating Reach gets week in, week out. He’s valuable to us.

I think Reach is an intelligent footballer and is actually really well thought of across the league. He got 9 goals and 8 assists across all competitions last seasons. Not bad at all really. 

I can see why, at times, fans get frustrated with him but in all honesty thats the reality of the Championship isn't it? Even the better players over a 46 game season are rarely in red hot form all the time. 

37 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m merely pointing out like I did earlier that players like Bannan and Reach are judged by a higher standard. His not very good or not at his best is in the top three of all of the major facets of an attacking players game. Creating more chances, scoring more goals, having more shots even making more tackles than many of the side who are playing at the top of their game. That’s not to belittle the others, they’re doing fab, it’s more to point out that so is Reach even playing below his absolute best. 

Bannan, while ever he is not at his best, he still never hides, he will always be wanting the ball and trying his best to create, move the team forward and do everything he can possible for the team.

I'm not sure the same can be said for Reach.

Granted, it's harder to be constantly involved out wide, but sometimes he seems content with not being in the action

5 hours ago, Skyline said:

The problem with Reach is his 50/50's.

He pulls out/bottles quite a lot of them. This could be why people think of him as too "lightweight" or that he doesn't make any tackles/interceptions. 

Would love to see him toughen up a little bit and really go into these 50/50 balls. 

This could be why he's consistently fit enough to play 50 games every season, rather than being on the injury list every other week like other more "committed" players?

I don't think so though. From my point of view he's just a bit more clever with his tackling; when he goes in to win the ball I think he does it more in a way to try and keep the ball himself, rather than merely taking the ball away from the opponent. I can see how that might look like he's pulling out of a tackle on many occasions, but I don't think it has much to do with him bottling it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

My concern about Reach, are whether he fits the way we want to play In this regard, there is some debate. Stats alone don’t tell the whole story, or someone like Ozil would be a permanent fixture in the Arsenal side. 

5 hours ago, gurujuan said:

My concern about Reach, are whether he fits the way we want to play In this regard, there is some debate. Stats alone don’t tell the whole story, or someone like Ozil would be a permanent fixture in the Arsenal side. 

Stats alone are stupid, I entirely agree.

Stats showing that a player makes more tackles than any other non-defensive player when said player is being criticised for not tackling enough are quite useful though.

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Again look at the stats and you are wrong, don’t want to keep pointing at you but you have now changed from one argument to another, and neither fit. 

What stats would negate that point then??

The looking for a pass even though not having a good game ratio?

No wonder you thought Hooper was going to play in the premier league 

1 minute ago, 2roland2 said:

Guru tbf he could be playing like messi in full flow and you will say he doesn’t fit, you say that about every player we have had since I have seen you on this forum, that’s all you do, criticise players and style of play lol 

If that were true, maybe it explains why we’ve been out of the top flight for so long Just a thought

11 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

This could be why he's consistently fit enough to play 50 games every season, rather than being on the injury list every other week like other more "committed" players?

I don't think so though. From my point of view he's just a bit more clever with his tackling; when he goes in to win the ball I think he does it more in a way to try and keep the ball himself, rather than merely taking the ball away from the opponent. I can see how that might look like he's pulling out of a tackle on many occasions, but I don't think it has much to do with him bottling it.

I’ve noticed this more and more lately 

When there’s a 50/50 ball to be won he tends to try and get a touch on it, and if he can’t he’ll pull out and immediately try to win the second ball 

Edited by Stoop

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Go on admit it, you didn’t even look at the stats I posted did you? The stats I pulled up to compare bannan against reach. 

Your looki g very silly now, it shows pretty much all aspects, tackles made, percentage won, amounts of passes, passing accuracy, and much much more, so now you have tried to adjust your argument for reach being crap go and have a long hard look and come back and argue that reach hides and bannan doesn’t. 

Neither do, but I will be happy to address your response if you can prove otherwise  

I honestly don't have a clue what you are on about - something about changing my argument.

From what to what? 

Not being awkward, just want to know so i can reply 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barberphobia said:

I'm not downplaying its importance, but like every other part of the game, the individual will manage that aspect how they see fit.  If Mr Reach thinks that he has the balance right between the effectiveness of his tackling and self preservation, that is a discussion that needs to be had between him, his colleagues and management.  I'm sure if Garry Monk thinks he is being a fanny, words will be had.  I like players to get stuck in, as long as they can do it properly.  Some players are great at it (a tacke by Zico Sterland comes to mind when the attacker went six foot up in the air and you could hear the thud from the back of the Kop), others not so.  I'm sure he can improve, but is it worth it being a detriment to his fitness if he starts flying in willy-nilly?

Monk has spoken to him about his defensive work. It's not a fan conspiracy, he is genuinely not pulling his weight in that area.

3 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Yep it would be a,axing to be in the top divisions and even winning things, but this is reality Guru we haven’t got worldbeaters nor wood they come to us,  but in truth we have some very capable players, I cludi g a lot who you and many others pull apart. 

If they were much better I guarantee they wouldn’t be here 

Why do you want Wood back?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

https://www.beinsports.com/au/efl-championship/statistics

there you go just incase you can’t be arsed to scroll back two pages, attacking wise all the stats are there just like defensive stats,

you said he doesnt track back and tackle or hustle  like harris, this shows he does more than Harris, you said he doesn’t want the ball like bannan. This shows he does and he’s probably more effective with it. 

Or  you could just ignore facts as per and carry on with this ridiculous argument. 

So you would say Reach has been the better of the 2 this season?

Would you say Reach has had a good season? When would you say Reach had his last good game for us?

What do you think is his best position?

Would you sell him if we got £5m for him? Do you think anyone will buy him in January?

Why do you think Monk brought him off after an hour in his first home game, despite his stats being inline with previous outings 

Despite monk and Reach himself saying he’s been poor of late, do you find it strange that a stat based media outlet has put him in the best 11 players for September?

Does this mean stats may be misleading to actual performance? 

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

Nothing you say is serious. You just love to troll,  I have missed one game this season, and that was this weekend gone.

that good enough for you? What about you ? You go? How many games you seen this season?

Oh, I was there this weekend.