Hull City - V - Wednesday

I remember Ken Wagstaff and Chris Chilton playing for Hull City - great players - loyal players at a time before the game was ruined by corruption, big money and fawning celebrity worship. What price could you put on their heads today?

I suppose that's why I have a soft spot for Hull despite being present on Boxing Day 1970 ( I can't remember the Owls scorers owing to the shock of what unfolded) : 

"Hull City 4 Sheffield Wednesday 4
Boothferry Park | Division Two | Saturday 26th December 1970

Three goals in the last seven minutes earned the Tigers a point against Sheffield Wednesday in this Boxing Day encounter.

Trailing 4-1 – Ken Houghton being City’s scorer – and with the home supporters heading for the exits in droves, the magic of Christmas had well and truly evaporated.

Then, this particular Christmas story took a dramatic turn. Two Chris Chilton goals gave Terry Neill’s side a lifeline before Ken Wagstaff slotted home the equaliser – his 250th career goal – with three minutes remaining to complete one of the most amazing comebacks in the Club’s history."

Hull also hit the post in the last minute  ... I was devastated and yet relieved at the same time when the whistle went.

This awful mix of emotions was to revisit me again when the Owls played Chelsea in the League Cup, Jan 1985

I'd settle for a repeat of the first 80 minutes tonight.

20 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Gonna be listening to this whilst sat on the throne - got norovirus from my nephew and it has absolutely flattened me. 

2-1 Wednesday. 2 set plays - Borner and Dom

At least you can do a lucky poo for the full 90 minutes

5 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

You must be the first person who has ever said they enjoyed visiting Hull.

It was more the fact that I'd had 6 pints of Moretti and had got away from the bloody kids for once.

Could have gone to Aleppo and I'd still have enjoyed it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Charles Clegg said:

I remember Ken Wagstaff and Chris Chilton playing for Hull City - great players - loyal players at a time before the game was ruined by corruption, big money and fawning celebrity worship. What price could you put on their heads today?

I suppose that's why I have a soft spot for Hull despite being present on Boxing Day 1970 ( I can't remember the Owls scorers owing to the shock of what unfolded) : 

"Hull City 4 Sheffield Wednesday 4
Boothferry Park | Division Two | Saturday 26th December 1970

Three goals in the last seven minutes earned the Tigers a point against Sheffield Wednesday in this Boxing Day encounter.

Trailing 4-1 – Ken Houghton being City’s scorer – and with the home supporters heading for the exits in droves, the magic of Christmas had well and truly evaporated.

Then, this particular Christmas story took a dramatic turn. Two Chris Chilton goals gave Terry Neill’s side a lifeline before Ken Wagstaff slotted home the equaliser – his 250th career goal – with three minutes remaining to complete one of the most amazing comebacks in the Club’s history."

Hull also hit the post in the last minute  ... I was devastated and yet relieved at the same time when the whistle went.

This awful mix of emotions was to revisit me again when the Owls played Chelsea in the League Cup, Jan 1985

I'd settle for a repeat of the first 80 minutes tonight.

I was at this game as well...what a flippin nightmare game. I’m sure it was Jimmy Mullen and David Sunleys debut game. Also my very first footie match was Hull City v Mansfield Town in the third division. Wagstaff was playing that day too and scored a couple I think in a 4-0 win for The tigers. I remember going with my cousins from Sproatley near Hornsea on the train into hull and there was a train stop right outside the back of the terracing. Big crowd that day an all....must have been 25,000 easily.

Proper football, proper terracing, proper flat caps....not a prawn sandwich in sight.:laugh:

Oh ....and come on you Blue and White Wizaaards! Let’s be havin this lot toneet! Really want to see us going for it, I think Monk has a knack for weedling  out a win when you least expect it. Stick to the game plan and away we go! Big Dave to score and another for Reach...2-1 to the massive.:image: