Hull City - V - Wednesday

We were the victims of our own success really. 

Two up front was good against Boro but tonight just goes to show how good Fletcher is and how Hoofing the ball up to Winnall and Nuhiu all game with the midfield nowhere to be seen just doesn't work.  

All round a terrible performance. 

They always say "win your home games and draw away".

Well two draws would have gleaned 2 points from the last two.

We've just got 3.

We're not going to win game after game, especially away from home, because we're not good enough for that.

We've got to concentrate on winning our home games, and if we win one from two away we'll be OK.

It's the draws that kill you.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We were the victims of our own success really. 

Two up front was good against Boro but tonight just goes to show how good Fletcher is and how Hoofing the ball up to Winnall and Nuhiu all game with the midfield nowhere to be seen just doesn't work.  

All round a terrible performance. 

I’m sorry but you can’t say we were terrible. We weren’t great, but look at the chances we created. We didn’t deserve to lose.

18 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’m sorry but you can’t say we were terrible. We weren’t great, but look at the chances we created. We didn’t deserve to lose.

We should have got something from the game but didnt really deserve to because we were so terrible in front of goal. 

I have never seen Westwood kick so many balls to Nuhiu's head in my life and the amount of times we were offside was unreal.

Boro were very naive against us.  Hull were not and we didnt have the quality or the know how to finish them off. 

Must do better against Wigan.

2 minutes ago, 2roland2 said:

It isn’t just tonight though is it. I fact it isn’t just reach is it????

but reach and Hutchinson are the usual suspects for owlstalk to jump all over. Even when the entire team are poo . 

There are some people who like to single out specific players. This happens on here, on twitter I would imagine on Facebook and it certainly happens in the ground. It is possible to debate the performances and just leave these people to it because you aren't going to change them and responding to them just feeds them.

I think Reach has been poor this season. I said he needed to produce the goods on Saturday and was definitely a contender for man of the match, sadly tonight he was way off it. There is sometimes more of a focus on Reach than others, maybe due to his fee, maybe due to the supposed interest other clubs have shown in him over the past year or so and maybe due to the fact he plays in a role where he needs to create or get shots on target. We got the ball to him in decent positions a few times tonight and he didn't do anything with it.

Last night was a typical Wednesday midweek game. No team deserved the win, had a draw all over it. One cross wasn’t dealt with and we got punished. Can’t believe the penalty call, how the referee has not given it sums up the quality of ref’s.

Anyways, from this period of games since we have returned:

Hudds (W)

Fulham (D)

Boro (W)

Hull (L)

Wigan (?)

Got to win on Saturday... Achieve that then that is 10 from a possible 15 points. I think that is a good return from those games just the defeat coming against the wrong club! :laugh:

Iorfa was bad again tonight. Against Everton he was continually out of position and if you watch the action, just about all their chances came because he either wasn't marking up or had gone walkabout. 

It was exactly the same last night. I know he's not a regular cb but reading the game should be fundamental to a footballer. Other teams will see this worrying weakness in our defence and exploit it. That's also fundamental to football management 

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Shouldn’t have lost last night. Didn’t deserve it. It wasn’t a bad performance by any means. I thought Winnall and Rhodes looked very poor and Reach didn’t do a great deal after the first 20 mins. Otherwise, the team and individual performances were ok. 

The forward line was inept. What about the shocking miss by Nuhiu? He also needs to loose quite a lot of weight as he's carrying way too much. I'm surprised that GM is allowing a player to be so clearly overweight. It's not good for the team or the player. 

9 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

It isn’t just tonight though is it. I fact it isn’t just reach is it????

but reach and Hutchinson are the usual suspects for owlstalk to jump all over. Even when the entire team are poo . 

Might be because we expect more from those 2, they have it in them to play a lot better where as others are probably playing to the best of their ability, and you can't call em out on that. 

Horses for courses. Saturday Reach was exactly the right option, but imo Murphy should have started this one.

we looked a tad flat formation wise at times Yet imo the game plan was still spot on, we just didn’t take our chances. Would have won easy otherwise despite so many players being meh.

i don’t care what we get for them, two out of Foresteri, Winnall and Rhodes needs to go in January, replaced by a much more prolific forward.    We’ve got players providing the crosses and the chances now, so no more excuses for them. Oh and hurry back Hutchinson.

1 hour ago, Mrmason69 said:

Iorfa was bad again tonight. Against Everton he was continually out of position and if you watch the action, just about all their chances came because he either wasn't marking up or had gone walkabout. 

It was exactly the same last night. I know he's not a regular cb but reading the game should be fundamental to a footballer. Other teams will see this worrying weakness in our defence and exploit it. That's also fundamental to football management 

He wasn’t the only one. This is why Hutchinson is such an important player, he can cover the channels left open by our defence. Which is what he’s been doing since he joined us.

We are talking of needing a 'prolific goal scorer' and I fully agree. But what are we doing wrong with Winnall. Prior to us buying him, he was one of tye most prolific goal scorers in the Championship! Likewise Jordan Rhodes. Yet as soon as they put on a Wednesday strip, down they go. A pgs doesn't become a non-scorer overnight, except when they sign for us..There must be a reason for it, but what, I don't know. And how can a side that scores 4 goals in the first 35minutes away on a Saturday, then go  145 minutes and fail to score. 

Our main fault is INCONSISTENCY, and until this is tackled, we are destined for mid-table mediocrity. The answer - I  don't know! 

Very disappointed last night. But upon reflection we weren't as bad as people make it. We had 2 clear cut chances you HAVE to take and a penalty not given surprise surprise. Hull had about 2 shots all night and took there opportunity.  We tactically looked disciplined but in the attacking phase we where too disjointed.  Fletcher ties this link for us both linking play and in the box arielally. We move on. Need a reaction Saturday and positive one. People should expect this from Wednesday only we can go from a brilliant away demolition to a defeat and look timid in 3 days.  It's the Wednesday way. 

11 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Tonight was being a Sheffield Wednesday fan in a nutshell. 

Exactly that.

We were all talking beforehand of the wet Tuesday night away game that we all know will produce this sort of result and hoping in vain that maybe, just maybe we were going to show something that said we’ve turned a corner under this new manager and we don’t have to dread these sort of matches.

Fat chance.

15 hours ago, 2roland2 said:

If we micro analyse players we could say the same about bannan too but the sane amongst us recognise players like bannan reach and hutch are quality but are not particularly playing well this season, but this site isn’t sane, and most on here can’t understand that even the best players have bad spells of form....

As I said earlier, within a minute of the game ending  the usual reach threads appeared, even though no one turned up today.   And in this thread digs at reach and hutch and certain other players. 

Tbf most of the people who who use this forum wouldn’t know a quality player from a dog turd. So why I get wound up and even come on here god knows. 

Theres about a couple dozen posters on here who are reasonable the rest are absolute loonball crackpots 

Where does that leave me? WTF: