• Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Reach
    • Harris
    • Winnall
    • Lee
    • Luongo

2 hours ago, adamnich said:

I don't really know how to explain this bit Borner feels like a 1990s Wednesday player to me

He reminds you of Nilsson, but a LF CH. Oozes class, unflappable, big personality. Organiser and leader. 

Amazing addition. Share general consensus on Reach, runs around a lot but seems to pick wrong option.

Interesting to see what Bully does v Preston. 

I'd be tempted to play midfield 3 of Luongo, Bannan, Lee. Give Hutch and Reach a breather. Only issue there would be height on set pieces.

Only really have Fox, Borner, Lees and Fletch over 6 ft. Saying that Reach could come in for Murphy on right, he is due a worldy!

Top o the league!! 

Biggest compliment to Borner is that Hector would not have done any better than him so far.

Suggest we carry on scouting the German Bundesliga rather than the Portuguese leagues. Seems to have had no problem whatsoever fitting in with the hustle and bustle of the Championship and a class act.

• Like 1

Westy had a couple of scary moments and his distribution was very slow

Odobajo had acres of space on the right several times but he was ignored

Lees and Borner solid

Foxy had really good game

Hutch was Hutch, Reach unimpressive and seems lost

Bannon - love the guy but slow distribution at times, a lot of passes backwards or the Hollywood ball

Murphy and Harris, what we’ve been missing for years

Fletch fantastic work rate but concerns me how long he can keep this up. We will miss him if he’s out for any length of time.

Overall, unimpressive first half - like watching Wednesday 12 months ago, and Luton played better football, opening us up several times. Seemed some confusion as to whether we were pressing high or not. Better second when we started pressing as a team and got into them. Decent start to the campaign but a bit concerned with underlying shortcomings in the last two matches - couldn’t score against 10 men and hardly a convincing display at home against a newly promoted team, 2nd bottom of the division.

Not a great game as a spectacle but I think we shaded it. Four games, 9 points and we have looked the better side in each of these games.

Bannan and Reach doesn't work as midfield pairing, one or the other for me.

Westwood.      5.5.   A quality keeper but so far this season he is having a dodgy spell.  We know how important he is and will win us plenty of points this season.

Fox.                 6.  Like most of the team not a great first half, but decent defensively in the second. Didn't get forward and support Harris/ Murphy.

Lees.                8.   Along with Borner looked very solid.

Borner.             9.  Whoever scouted this lad did a great job, So far looks a very useful signing, how I like central defenders not flash but dependable.

Odubajo.          6  Tried to support the winger, defensively looks a bit fragile. Can see him being used further forward if Murphy or Harris get injured. Prefer Iorfa at the moment.

Hutcinson.       6.  Poor first half better second, would like to see him push further upfield when we are attacking if th fullbacks are not pushing on like last night.

Bannan.           6. Poor first half slowed us down by passing backwards when we needed to move forward quickly and use the pace of Harris and Murphy. Much improved in the second when he was more assertive 

Reach.            5. Mr versatile and a great squad player, either him or Bannan in midfield but not both. Would think he would Be an ideal replacement for Lee, but just doesn't have the football brain of Lee. Our most valuable asset but not sure he would start at the moment. Bizarre 

Harris.            9. Another very god performance, had the Luton defence on toast. Fast and strong, give him a 1on1 with room to exploit and he looks very good.

Fletcher.        7. Battled hard and a good header for the goal. Now Joao has gone none of the other strikers anywhere near as good as him.

Murphy.        8. Very good  second half, great cross for the goal, lovely to see someone running at defenders and see them back peddling.

Subs

Winnall.                 Added nothing, looks slow and not physical enough to carry out the Fletcher role. Needs to go out on loan to a league 1 team to try to get his mojo back. Prefer Nuhiu coming from the bench.

Lee.                      Covered ground and blocked out some of the spaces that were opening up.

Luongo.                As above, again looks very useful.

• Like 1

A shame Harris and Bōrner can't share the MoM. 

It was one of those games where we didn't get many corners either otherwise our German might have topped it with a goal. Radar head.

Wasn't a great game so to be able to dig a win out was impressive and could have sealed it a couple of times late on.

Defensively we look very solid, attacking we have a good few options and picking the right men will be key. We'll see what Bullens made of. 

Great to hear the crowd getting behind them last night. Made one or two of the lads pick up visibly in second half, especially Murphy.

Exciting times.

Borner for me by a mile

Bullen confuses me with his substitutions

He puts Winnall on for Reach, I'd have put the busy Louongo on

He talks about protecting Lee from playing too much football too soon, I get that, then why put him on at all, especially in the 88th minute, and then to play wide left, if you're going to protect him, then protect him

Then he takes Fletcher off and gives Luongo the last 5 minutes

There was a baffling change against Barnsley, he took Murphy off and replaced him with Pelupessy

In my book he's trying to be too clever

I like Bannan but he slows the game down way too much

He didn't play against Barnsley. and we pressed high up the pitch

The first half last night was so pedestrian, it's as though the players know when Bannan plays it's going to be a slower game

At times we've got Bannan and Hutchinson playing on top of our two centre halves, they both need to get a bit further up the pitch and stop crowding our centre backs

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

40 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Borner for me by a mile

Bullen confuses me with his substitutions

He puts Winnall on for Reach, I'd have put the busy Louongo on

He talks about protecting Lee from playing too much football too soon, I get that, then why put him on at all, especially in the 88th minute, and then to play wide left, if you're going to protect him, then protect him

Then he takes Fletcher off and gives Luongo the last 5 minutes

There was a baffling change against Barnsley, he took Murphy off and replaced him with Pelupessy

In my book he's trying to be too clever

I like Bannan but he slows the game down way too much

He didn't play against Barnsley. and we pressed high up the pitch

The first half last night was so pedestrian, it's as though the players know when Bannan plays it's going to be a slower game

At times we've got Bannan and Hutchinson playing on top of our two centre halves, they both need to get a bit further up the pitch and stop crowding our centre backs

Bullen on midfield :

“Part of that is down to Luton in the first half, because they played at a decent tempo and we were chasing it, and sometimes because we were chasing it and trying to win it higher up the park in our shape they were picking us off at times and that is why I felt we had to slightly change shape -  their midfield rotation was causing us problems , so we had to change ours and the way we were doing things , sometimes you have to adapt in game”

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Bullen on midfield :

“Part of that is down to Luton in the first half, because they played at a decent tempo and we were chasing it, and sometimes because we were chasing it and trying to win it higher up the park in our shape they were picking us off at times and that is why I felt we had to slightly change shape -  their midfield rotation was causing us problems , so we had to change ours and the way we were doing things , sometimes you have to adapt in game”

We're at home against Luton

It's up to us to impose ourselves on the game, be proactive not reactive

If we're letting teams like Luton and Barnsley come here and have the majority of possession

We're going to really struggle against Fulham, Leeds, WBA etc

This is why we need a manager

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

We're at home against Luton

It's up to us to impose ourselves on the game, be proactive not reactive

If we're letting teams like Luton and Barnsley come here and have the majority of possession

We're going to really struggle against Fulham, Leeds, WBA etc

This is why we need a manager

Teams aren't going to come here and leave themselves wide open. They were a pretty solid unit in there. Kept it very compact. Probably why Hutch and Bannan kept trying that long diagonal to Murphy after little spells of possession to open it up.

I don't think it's that we allowed them particularly to have possession. We tried to press at times with Hutch and Bannan haring forward but we seemed to get picked off.  I think that's why we saw a marked difference when Reach joined Fletcher , Harris and Murphy in the first line press in the second half 4-v-4. It's only a tiny thing but it made a big difference. 

It could be argued we should have done that from the start to impose ourselves on them but...no matter how many videos you watch of the opposition you never know 100% how they are going to play on the day or what little changes they might have made to their own game plan. You only know that when the game starts and they set out their stall. If they have done things slightly different to what you expected that's when you have to tinker. I think he's done that. 

I'm not saying I want Bullen. If a top drawer manager becomes available I think we should get them.

But equally I think if an experienced manager that spots whats wrong like Bullen did last night and subtly changes things to get a better performance they would get a lot more credit.

11 hours ago, Bez said:

Westwood 5 - Flappy and out of sorts

Odubajo 6 - Better when he presses near the halfway line

Lees 6 - Plays people onside all the time.  Average.

Borner 9 - ROCK SOLID.  Superb.  Love him.

Fox 8 - Great performance defensively.  Wasn't allowed to get forward so offered little there.

Hutch 6 - Some great tackles, some stupid free kicks.

Bannan 6 - Didn't notice him much.  Calm in possession but lost it a few times.  Poor final product.

Reach 4 - Very poor and offers nada.

Murphy 6 - Very poor for spells and then turned it on and was a threat.

Fletcher 7 - Offside loads, wasted chances but got an assist and won some decent flick ons.

Harris 9 - What a lad.  Fast and always a threat.

Subs rated for performance during time on pitch:

Winnall 6 - Needs longer to make an impact.

Luongo 8 - Looks a good signing with intent in both directions.

Lee 6 - Didn't do much.

On that performance he would need a decade. Completely lost from first to last. Didn't press, when the ball was near him he didn't appear to have a clue. Made the wrong runs at the wrong time or just stood around with his finger up his arris. 

I know he's rusty, that's to be expected but he looks like he could do with about 3 months on loan at L1 level to get some sharpness back. Maybe a couple of cup games might help but at the moment I'd only bring him on if we are 3 nil up.

It's a shame because he's proved in the past that he can score, he's be a good option to have if he can get back to where he was.

Anyone noticed something odd about the League Table? Yes, we are top, but several of the clubs immediately below have played 1 game less. Were they all to win, we could very quickly end up mid-table.The League Tables at thois time of year are not to be trusted.