New stadium

14 hours ago, Howards back said:

If we were to move from Hillsborough the last place to move to would be anywhere near Meadowhall, the traffic problems would be horrendous 

Last time I went to Hillsborough they weren't brilliant.

Just now, Sham67 said:

Name a football stadium which gets crowds over 15k that is.

My point is the traffic problem if we moved to Meadowhall which was given as a reason not to move there is no worse or better than Hillsborough. For me, one of the main problems with the ground re corporate etc is the concourses are too narrow. Don't think much can be done about that though.

2 minutes ago, darra said:

My point is the traffic problem if we moved to Meadowhall which was given as a reason not to move there is no worse or better than Hillsborough. For me, one of the main problems with the ground re corporate etc is the concourses are too narrow. Don't think much can be done about that though.

As 50% of supporters live within walking distance of the ground, traffic problems would be a lot worse at Meadowhall even without including traffic from the mall.  The only way to minimise any traffic disturbance is to stay in the current area.

I agree the stadium doesn't meet modern standards and would happily move to a new stadium in the right location.  The dog track would be my ideal solution, but I can see the merits of redeveloping Hillsborough.

10 minutes ago, darra said:

Have you ever been around Meadowhall at 5ish on a Saturday afternoon? especially if there is someone on at the Arena. Add another 25,000 into the mix and it would be gridlocked for hours

3 minutes ago, southportdc said:

There's a park right near my house that could be perfect.

It's in Warrington, but every option has drawbacks. 

Unfortunately clubs cannot leave their existing boroughs without the permission of the FA and EFL.  Good idea apart from that.

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Unfortunately clubs cannot leave their existing boroughs without the permission of the FA and EFL.  Good idea apart from that.

Awww. So we can’t move to the soon-to-be vacant stadium at the end of the Dronfield bypass?

• Haha 1

There is no way any ground would be approved without excellent public transport links and decent road infrastructure. There has to be an impact assessment for any planning app. The land would also need to be fairly flat and probably outside of any retail zones. Traffic management is a bit of a red herring as the new Ikea proved, its about planning for the volume not the volume. 

Land would have to be cheap to make it viable. Potentially then the old Basset/Trebor factory area / Owlerton, or some post industrial sites around Tinsley/Waverley are really the only credible options.

There would also need to be a direct motorway and walkway from the away teams home town to the away end so that there is no mingling of any support ever ever just in case SYP have to deal with it.

If we were to build a new stadium then build it large so it can gain other commercial revenue such as concerts. Build it tiered similar to stadium MK , sell season tickets to all areas other than the top tier which can remain closed for smaller crowds and when larger crowds are expected the top tier can be opened to the casual attendees and walk ups etc. Doing this would ensure a decent atmosphere for the lesser attended games as the crowd would still remain compact and you probably wouldn't even notice the top was empty.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Wednesday only played at Olive Grove for about 10 years so didn't have time to become our historical home.
Didn't have time for building up the tradition of generations of people walking down the same roads to the games.

I have been to places like Derby, Stoke, Middlesborough, Southampton and always thought what soulless sterile places they were.
Think the best new built stadium is actually Rotherham as its near the town centre so you still feel like you are in Rotherham (Which I must concede might not be an advantage after all).

LOL . ... but must be better for the mini-Pigs than playing in the Don Valley Stadium RIP 

Edited by Rogerwyldesmullet

As everyone on here will probably know, we used to play in the city including at Bramall Lane. The move to Hillsborough was a move to an out of city greenfield site and the houses at such as Vere Rd are there because the club sold some of the land for housing. This was to add to the finance they raised through making Wednesday a limited company and selling shares. 

There are not many places within the quoted existing walking distance available. Meadowhall is far from ideal and it would be unthinkable to be in Rotherham. Wherever we move to would need good transport routes which rules out many places. 

If the land down Parkside Rd and the river were included, there is land at Hillsborough to “do a Tottenham” and re-build completely there. The limiting factor is the terrace houses. To build any stadium with a capacity of say 45k seats is always going to be very expensive. It’s in a different scale compared to those at Rotherham, Doncaster and Chesterfield. 

And then the challenge of where to play for the 2 years or so of construction. 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Just rebuilding the existing stadium doesn’t really address many of the problems, a move to another site is needed

A new stadium dodnt get rid of the fact we will still have an incompitent police force in charge .

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

A new stadium dodnt get rid of the fact we will still have an incompitent police force in charge .

It has to be said that we don’t seem to be treated in the same way as the other team and their ground. For what objective reason could that be?

I think we're making too much of the 'transport links'. Many of us went to the new Wembley for the play-off final by car. Yes, There is ample parking around the stadium, but try getting away by road is attrocious. Were we to move to the Don Valley area, this would mean a large increase in traffic on an already vastly overcrowded stretch of Motorway, renowned for its horrendous traffic record.. It  would also mean an increase in traffic traversing the city. The way things stand, even on large crowd days, the stadium is empty within 30 min of the end of the game, ad the majority of match traffic is dispersed by an hour at latest. I take my time, and am rarely later arriving in Buxton than 6.30, having traversed Rivelin, ladybower, the Hope Valley, Winnats Pass , and back through Dove Holes The biggest problem I find in traffic, is impatience people seem to want to arrive before they've set off.Like it or not, traffic signals and road directions are there to help noy hinder.

D C needs to buy back Vere Rd , offer super-duper luxury houses to re-house the residents ,demolish it all and do a re-build . Or the cheaper version would be to do a Luton and just buy a couple of houses , knock them down and put turnstiles in to allow access to North stand .At Luton you can also inspect the washing and backyards as you pass through so would also provide some pre-match entertainment .

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Hi mate, he now tells me his experience might have been influenced by the fact it was a preseason match.

Apparently it was £10 as opposed to the usual £40. It was rammed with kids watching their IPads and not the match and families casually roaming about during the game with no regard for anyone watching it.

Anyway those bottom filling glasses are the biz.

His final word. He prefers old stadia but it’s called progress he says.

After all he’s a Spurs fan that lives in Brighton and they think they’re the dogs doodahs ;-) down there.

I asked the Spurs fans what they thought of the match day atmosphere. Response “It takes your breath away Jim!”

55 minutes ago, alan48 said:

D C needs to buy back Vere Rd , offer super-duper luxury houses to re-house the residents ,demolish it all and do a re-build . Or the cheaper version would be to do a Luton and just buy a couple of houses , knock them down and put turnstiles in to allow access to North stand .At Luton you can also inspect the washing and backyards as you pass through so would also provide some pre-match entertainment .

I’ve never understood why the club hasn’t bought that terrace on Leppings Lane beside the entrance to the stadium. Demolish those (sorry if anyone on here lives there) and the bottleneck is relieved to a degree.

14966BA0-25B9-4531-9EE3-2D9E897B04DA.jpeg

31808BB5-A246-42A3-B145-1BA6C227F799.png

If we are staying at Hillsborough even a rebuilt Leppings Lane end still has the same bottleneck problem.

If SYP/SAG are adamant that the Leppings Lane forecourt area is too dangerous why not build an elevated footbridge over the river from Catch Bar Lane straight into the back of the West stand so that away supporters exit well away from home support who will continue exit onto Leppings Lane.

5E5B0500-3EA0-441F-920C-A71983CEB25D.jpeg