New stadium

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

MK Fakes stadium is one of about 20 stadium s thaf all look the same. Horrible flatpack bowls. No thanks.

id rather have a flatpack bowl and a decent business model that generates income.

Id prefer however Hillsborough also to have a decent business model that generates income

What I don't like is Hillsborough generating next to nowt and looking like a rusty tin can to boot 

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Please god no!! Soulless bowl on end of a bland retail park.

We’re pretty much in a retail park as it is. While I favour the idea of moving, especially if we can build a new iconic stadium, for the time being, maybe a name change would help. It might make sense for us to lose the Hillsborough stadium name. We might even be able to generate some money with a naming rights deal

Loved those World Cup plans from around a decade ago. Personally don't like new stadiums. Old iconic stadiums character and long history for me beats modern stadiums. It's sad when clubs move from their iconic stadiums but understandable.

All the clubs near me in South Wales have either lost their old homes or moved into modern stadiums. It might have helped advance the area in footballing and commercial terms but it's lost something that it will never get back. Newport's old Somerton Park is now a council housing estate and they share the rugby club's stadium. They may be remarkably making a name for themselves again after restarting in the late 80s but without their historic home or an actual place to call home, there's always a feeling of something missing. Swansea and Cardiff's new homes seem soulless and bland to me.

I know we've had previous homes before Hillsborough and it was previously known as Owlerton but it's the only home we've ever felt as home during our lifetime's. Change the name back to the original name or something if needs be but if feasible keep, renovate and rebuild the current stadium. If we do move, then do it smartly and not just for commercial reasons but also keep some of the character of our current stadium and acknowledge the history of the club in some way, kind of like how Spurs did with their new stadium.

Just now, gurujuan said:

We’re pretty much in a retail park as it is. While I favour the idea of moving, especially if we can build a new iconic stadium, for the time being, maybe a name change would help. It might make sense for us to lose the Hillsborough stadium name. We might even be able to generate some money with a naming rights deal

we will be when they build that one across the road. 

1 minute ago, The Night-Owl said:

Loved those World Cup plans from around a decade ago. Personally don't like new stadiums. Old iconic stadiums character and long history for me beats modern stadiums. It's sad when clubs move from their iconic stadiums but understandable.

All the clubs near me in South Wales have either lost their old homes or moved into modern stadiums. It might have helped advance the area in footballing and commercial terms but it's lost something that it will never get back. Newport's old Somerton Park is now a council housing estate and they share the rugby club's stadium. They may be remarkably making a name for themselves again after restarting in the late 80s but without their historic home or an actual place to call home, there's always a feeling of something missing. Swansea and Cardiff's new homes seem soulless and bland to me.

I know we've had previous homes before Hillsborough and it was previously known as Owlerton but it's the only home we've ever felt as home during our lifetime's. Change the name back to the original name or something if needs be but if feasible keep, renovate and rebuild the current stadium. If we do move, then do it smartly and not just for commercial reasons but also keep some of the character of our current stadium and acknowledge the history of the club in some way, kind of like how Spurs did with their new stadium.

I get all that, but here's a question, if those clubs hadn't have made those changes would they still be around at all? Swansea and Cardiff maybe but would they be in the leagues they are in?

Its the price of progress however unpalatable it is

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

I get all that, but here's a question, if those clubs hadn't have made those changes would they still be around at all? Swansea and Cardiff maybe but would they be in the leagues they are in?

I know not everyone would agree but I would rather Wednesday be in the Championship or lower then be in the Premier League and playing in a soulless flat pack stadium like Derby or Stoke.

That's a good point. They would arguably not be doing as well as they are now without modernising. Although Newport County are effectively homeless, sharing a rugby stadium. If we do move or modernise or rename Hillsborough, I understand the long term commercial and footballing benefits but hope we also retain and keep alive some of the character, tradition and history of the current stadium, which in some ways can't be bought.

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know not everyone would agree but I would rather Wednesday be in the Championship or lower then be in the Premier League and playing in a soulless flat pack stadium like Derby or Stoke.

why would we have to build a bland stadium anyway, doesn't have to be built that way? what if it wasn't built that way, is every new ground crap and soulless?

40 minutes ago, metroguy78 said:

Im not sure I would like to leave Hillsborough, as many others have said the history and tradition are massive pluses for me.

But if we moved I could only see us moving out towards Meadowhall... connection to the M1, Train station, Tram stations, Parking spaces etc.  The roads would def need upgrading to take on the massive extra football traffic.

Like here they joked on for April fools

D3C1_2ZXQAAyrt9.thumb.jpeg.93fe47de56800f4fe30f7f269b108234.jpeg

Could call it the Hillsborough Cake Bowl. No thanks.

3 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

That's a good point. They would arguably not be doing as well as they are now without modernising. Although Newport County are effectively homeless, sharing a rugby stadium. If we do move or modernise or rename Hillsborough, I understand the long term commercial and footballing benefits but hope we also retain and keep alive some of the character, tradition and history of the current stadium, which in some ways can't be bought.

perhaps we could build a new stadium but retain some features of Hillsborough, keeping the cop and just recreating elsewhere for instance?

If everybody wanted they even keep the poo corner that nobody wants to go in.

No reason why to has to be built without some character. we don't have to build a cereal bowl

perhaps we could build a new stadium but retain some features of Hillsborough, keeping the cop and just recreating elsewhere for instance?

If everybody wanted they even keep the poo corner that nobody wants to go in.

No reason why to has to be built without some character. we don't have to build a cereal bowl

Were thinking more along the lines of keeping the old famous clock for example

21 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

I can’t be bothered to look up right now but I’m sure I saw a spreadsheet of maintenance costs for Championship stadia once and it was in the millions how much more ours cost to upkeep. 

Makes total sense though, and old house costs more to heat than a new one, most councils in the country have sold their old office buildings and built new ones at high up front costs because they save so much every year it’ll pay for itself quickly, newer concert venues make more revenue, a new car requires less upkeep then a second hand one etc ...

A few years ago somebody posted a spreadsheet in here showing revenue generated by clubs. Ours was near the bottom with clubs with lower attendances generating higher revenues than us.

2 minutes ago, The Night-Owl said:

Were thinking more along the lines of keeping the old famous clock for example

well why not? Its a feature that can easily be moved or recreated I would have thought.

a few teams with new grounds have great atmospheres, Schalke, B Dortmund, FC Groningen, FC twente I believe just looking around, they don't have to be big either.

5 minutes ago, darra said:

A few years ago somebody posted a spreadsheet in here showing revenue generated by clubs. Ours was near the bottom with clubs with lower attendances generating higher revenues than us.

wasnt that long ago, in the last 12 months think and ours was toilet.

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

well why not? Its a feature that can easily be moved or recreated I would have thought.

a few teams with new grounds have great atmospheres, Schalke, B Dortmund, FC Groningen, FC twente I believe just looking around, they don't have to be big either.

I think that part of the stadium is listed so couldn't be demolished not sure if that means it could be moved

3 hours ago, jamthesun said:

Not the same with my mates. What was his issue with the football experience?

Hi mate, he now tells me his experience might have been influenced by the fact it was a preseason match.

Apparently it was £10 as opposed to the usual £40. It was rammed with kids watching their IPads and not the match and families casually roaming about during the game with no regard for anyone watching it.

Anyway those bottom filling glasses are the biz.

His final word. He prefers old stadia but it’s called progress he says.

After all he’s a Spurs fan that lives in Brighton and they think they’re the dogs doodahs ;-) down there.

Edited by Ibbo48
Spelling