New stadium

1 hour ago, jamthesun said:

I asked the Spurs fans what they thought of the match day atmosphere. Response “It takes your breath away Jim!”

Imagine the response from SAG and SYP if we went down the road of building nice bars so fans stayed  in the ground drinking for hours after the game.

Guest Grez Bez
3 hours ago, darra said:

My point is the traffic problem if we moved to Meadowhall which was given as a reason not to move there is no worse or better than Hillsborough. For me, one of the main problems with the ground re corporate etc is the concourses are too narrow. Don't think much can be done about that though.

I think there's loads of room to extend the concourses on the North, Kop and Away end.

Plenty of room.

3 hours ago, Sham67 said:

As 50% of supporters live within walking distance of the ground, traffic problems would be a lot worse at Meadowhall even without including traffic from the mall.  The only way to minimise any traffic disturbance is to stay in the current area.

I agree the stadium doesn't meet modern standards and would happily move to a new stadium in the right location.  The dog track would be my ideal solution, but I can see the merits of redeveloping Hillsborough.

50 percent walk? I can't believe that.

Said it loads but Neepsend is the perfect location.

Particularly if the rail line between Sheffield and Chap (via Herries Road and Kelham opens)

1658844003_NeepsendRoad.png.13a1430574f87d0c659082a9361c56da.png

2 hours ago, farlego said:

If we were to build a new stadium then build it large so it can gain other commercial revenue such as concerts. Build it tiered similar to stadium MK , sell season tickets to all areas other than the top tier which can remain closed for smaller crowds and when larger crowds are expected the top tier can be opened to the casual attendees and walk ups etc. Doing this would ensure a decent atmosphere for the lesser attended games as the crowd would still remain compact and you probably wouldn't even notice the top was empty.

Do what Wigan do. Put massive advertising banners on the 1st few rows of seats so when it's on the TV it looks like nobodies there:biggrin:

7 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I think there's loads of room to extend the concourses on the North, Kop and Away end.

Plenty of room.

50 percent walk? I can't believe that.

Said it loads but Neepsend is the perfect location.

Particularly if the rail line between Sheffield and Chap (via Herries Road and Kelham opens)

1658844003_NeepsendRoad.png.13a1430574f87d0c659082a9361c56da.png

I wouldn't be opposed to relocating there.  Few pints round Kelham Island before the match.  Jobs a good un.

The 50% comes from off here, so might be ballcocks.  It's supposed to come from the ticket office.

22 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Please god no!! Soulless bowl on end of a bland retail park.

Have you been?

It doesn't need to be next to a retail park, I was commenting on the design and how nice it is for fans.

It's a long way from a Derby/Middlesborough/etc clone.

50 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Imagine the response from SAG and SYP if we went down the road of building nice bars so fans stayed  in the ground drinking for hours after the game.

It would give them plenty of time to get the away fans out of the ground without incident!

• Haha 1

On 11/08/2019 at 11:14, TheEnchanter said:

Its probably going to be a £75-100M project. Thats something to consider. 

Brentfords new one is set to cost £70M. It looks stunning and unique. I'd want a bespoke stadium not a boring bowl like Derby and Middlesbrough have got. 

Swings and roundabouts.

Sexy looking stadiums like Udders, Brighton and Reading cost a lot more than bowls. Take a Reading - those 4 towers at the corners do sod all structurally so are just very expensive architectural features. Once you’re in the ground, who cares?

Bowls by contrast are cheaper, but also keep the noise in (Sunderland !!!). Inside the ground what you want most is atmosphere and a great view. 

Edited by Holmowl

38 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to relocating there.  Few pints round Kelham Island before the match.  Jobs a good un.

The 50% comes from off here, so might be ballcocks.  It's supposed to come from the ticket office.

I bet it's something like the ticket office saying 50% are walkups and someone thinking that means they actually walk.

21 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

50% of wednesdayites live within 30 mins walk of Hillsborough.

90% live within a 20 mins bus ride.

That's 140% of all wednesdayites :wacko:

I don't know where these figures come from but I think they're testicles.

A good walking pace is just over 3.1 miles per hour so half an hour is 1.55. A circle with a radius of 1.55 miles doesn't even get you to Sheffield city centre.

A bus can do about 9 mph in traffic and with stopping and starting so even if we assume all bus journeys are direct with no changes, a 20 min bus ride doesn't even get you to the pigs ground.

250031018_walkandbus.thumb.JPG.f687f715ab255cf93c9cb00def98ceae.JPG

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Just rebuilding the existing stadium doesn’t really address many of the problems, a move to another site is needed

There's plenty of room at the back of the lep and we own the land which the megastore is on. Redeveloping the north and west should be straight forward.

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Swings and roundabouts.

Sexy looking stadiums like Udders, Brighton and Reading cost a lot more than bowls. Take a Reading - those 4 towers at the corners do sod all structurally so are just very expensive architectural features. Once you’re in the ground, who cares?

Bowls by contrast are cheaper, but also keep the noise in (Sunderland !!!). Inside the ground what you want most is atmosphere and a great view. 

Are you sure you mean Reading? I've been a few times and can't remember any towers in the corners, and I would personally describe their ground as the absolute epitome of soulless bowl stadiums.

Do you mean the ironwork on the roof?

Edited by punkskaphil

23 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

There's plenty of room at the back of the lep and we own the land which the megastore is on. Redeveloping the north and west should be straight forward.

If you don't want to move the ground then this is a great solution.

West stand needs to go because it will always carry the stigma.

By  moving the megastore, this opens up most of the rear of the North stand and cures the ingress/egress issues to an extent and maybe no need to rebuild but it would be nice to do it.

A number of good solutions posted but I guess it's down to DC and money and maybe some proper sponsors.

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

I bet it's something like the ticket office saying 50% are walkups and someone thinking that means they actually walk.

If that was the case with about 20k ST's, the ground isn't big enough.

4 minutes ago, markg said:

Everyone is a construction expert.

Just knock this down, rotate that, put this bridge in. It's easy.

What’s difficult about knocking some terraced houses down or building a bridge over a river? The club has actually done both already. If it means Hillsborough can be used to it’s full potential then these things have to be considered. Otherwise we’ll have to move and that will cost a heck of a lot more.

1 hour ago, jamthesun said:

good walking pace is just over 3.1 miles per hour so half an hour is 1.55. A circle with a radius of 1.55 miles doesn't even get you to Sheffield city centre.

I didn't say all fans, I said 50%. So with a crowd of say 25,000 wednesdayites 12,500 could walk it in 30 mins...not saying they do though.

As to be expected the highest density of wednesdayites live in districts within 2 miles of the ground. As for the bus, traffic conditions are not included and never are.