New stadium

On 11/08/2019 at 12:04, crag the owl said:

Buy Sheffield arena, it’s losing all the big gigs to Leeds anyhow. Build a 45,000 arena stadium (Veltins/smaller millennium) on the land. Could even take over all the gigs for extra income.

Job done.

Don't think the Sheffield Steelers would be too happy having their ground taken from them

22 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I didn't say all fans, I said 50%. So with a crowd of say 25,000 wednesdayites 12,500 could walk it in 30 mins...not saying they do though.

As to be expected the highest density of wednesdayites live in districts within 2 miles of the ground. As for the bus, traffic conditions are not included and never are.

I know what you said - I just don't believe it :-)  Look I'm not tring to pick a fight, I just don't believe those stats. They don't feel right to me.

I don't believe that 50% of fans at matches come from within the yellow circle. And area of 7.5 sq miles out of Sheffields 142 sq miles total.

I don't get your point about busses. I assumed 9 miles/hr which is at the top of the speed range and single direct journeys which they mainly wouldn't be. You are saying that 90% of matchday attendees come from within the red circle - an area of 28 sq miles. I don't believe it.

I'm  aslo not convinced by your new point about the highest density of fans living in districs within 2 miles. What do you mean by density exactly?

Obviously if you have data that you can share along with the methodology for capturing it,  I will gladly bely up and tuck in to the neccessary humble pie.

To be clear I have no data at all - absolutely none. I have only anecdotal evidence based on the fact that I grew up well outside the yellow circle and know loads of owls fans who lived in the same place and went to matches taking two busses to get there. Also by observing how many people come on the Supertram from town (and beyond) and how busy the roads are with people in cars with scarves on display. 

Having said that I did sometimes walk to the match from inside the red circle....I had to drive there and park up mind!

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Are you sure you mean Reading? I've been a few times and can't remember any towers in the corners, and I would personally describe their ground as the absolute epitome of soulless bowl stadiums.

Do you mean the ironwork on the roof?

Yes if you look at a photo it’s all the vertical white tubular stuff on the exterior.

Looks good. Does nothing.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Yes if you look at a photo it’s all the vertical white tubular stuff on the exterior.

Looks good. Does nothing.

I’d never noticed it before you mentioned it and I had a look on google maps!

Surprised you’d describe the Madejski as one of the “sexy” new grounds though. To me it literally is one of the blandest, dullest, most-soulless of all. Probably my least favourite stadium.

3 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Surprised you’d describe the Madejski as one of the “sexy” new grounds though. To me it literally is one of the blandest, dullest, most-soulless of all. Probably my least favourite stadium.

Maybe I’m biased. I was involved in the building of it.

9 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

New stadiums in general are boring. Unless we've got a spare billion to build one like spurs then it looks like having a Donny/Rotherham/Derby/'boro/Coventry/ Leicester replica. Same ground just different size and seat colours.

7 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Bit like Wednesday, Cambridge, Luton and Orient then. Four s@@t sides with bad facilities just a different size and in a different colour.

Not the same at all. If you show any proper football fan a picture of Hillsborough, or any traditional football ground for that matter, they'll name it. The new grounds are identical. If the seat colours are the same you struggle to distinguish between them. For example, Rotherham and Donny could be easily confused without looking carefully. As could Boro and Sunderland. 

Edited by archieswfc

3 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Not the same at all. If you show any proper football fan a picture of Hillsborough, or any traditional football ground for that matter, they'll name it. The new grounds are identical apart from seat colour. For example, Rotherham and Donny could be easily confused without looking carefully. As could Boro and Sunderland. 

Just because you recognise it doesnt mean its any good. 

7 hours ago, oldowl67 said:

If we are staying at Hillsborough even a rebuilt Leppings Lane end still has the same bottleneck problem.

If SYP/SAG are adamant that the Leppings Lane forecourt area is too dangerous why not build an elevated footbridge over the river from Catch Bar Lane straight into the back of the West stand so that away supporters exit well away from home support who will continue exit onto Leppings Lane.

5E5B0500-3EA0-441F-920C-A71983CEB25D.jpeg

Yes but if you did that they'd run into difficulties with all the hoolies leaving the South stand, you know the Seventy plus skull crushers!

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Thats right, so im not sure what the comparing old and new has got to do with anything. 

The point being that the new stadiums have no individuality, no soul and more importantly no history. Much better to redevelop Hillsborough imo. It's part of a community where people are born as wednesdayites. We have an association with the area and all the surrounding suburbs. You can't recreate that on what will inevitably be bit of unused land off the parkway somewhere, "'cos it's close to the motorway". We'll become the city's second team naturally and permanently. United would be the city's "proper club". We'd be the plastic neighbours out on the industrial estate. 

1 hour ago, Mishowl said:

Define ‘proper’.

They are not identical though are they. Do you know what identical means?

By proper I mean fans of football. Not people blinded by the bright lights and brashness of the premier League. Not people who think finishing top 4 is all that matters. Not people that think money is the be all and end all. I mean proper football fans who understand that all 92 League clubs are equally important to the area they represent and that the pyramid system is absolutely vital to English football. I mean people that understand the history and heritage of our age old football clubs. People that just get it. 

• Thanks 2

I dont post on here very often, nor do I read a lot of the posts so I will apologize if this has been covered previously.

On the issue with Hillsborough it seems to me mainly based on regulators and there reluctance to offer a working solution to satisfy all parties.

While I moved from Sheffield to Canada 44 years ago I still love coming back and seeing the boys.

This might be radical but if the issue with the regulators cannot be resolved then its llke pushing a chain uphill. you'll never get anywhere.

Knock Leppings lane down and rebuild it from scratch to conform to all the regulations that we currently face.  At that point there should be less of an obstacle if any to having our ground back.

The cost of rebuilding one side opposed to building a new stadium surely is more beneficial to the club.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1