New stadium

If Chansiri can’t invest his millions in the team, is it seriously time to think about selling Hillsborough and moving to a new purpose built stadium?

I mean this as a long term investment to put us in a better financial position. 

Before I got shot down in flames please consider the following:

• there was that report a couple of years ago about how many millions more we (and Sheff Utd) have to pay to maintain our older stadiums than the likes of Derby and Leicester. That’s cash going out the window. 
  • other teams with similar or smaller crowds beat us on match day revenue all the time because our systems are antiquated and inefficient 
  • a new stadium would end once and for all our issues with segregation and SAG reports closing down big chunks of the ground and causing turnstile queues 
  • getting a name sponsor at a new ground wouldn’t be as bad as changing the name of Hillsborough and generate income 
  • there are loads of bits we need to upgrade anyway so may as well invest all in one 
  • the land we currently own has got to be worth a fair whack
  • some fans love our traditional stadium but for many many others it’s know for one thing, and it’s a big a disgrace really that Leppings Lane remains virtually the same from 1989
  • we rarely get close to selling out and stick away fans miles from the pitch, we’d have a much better atmosphere with a smaller, tighter ground
  • Like 2

Its probably going to be a £75-100M project. Thats something to consider. 

Brentfords new one is set to cost £70M. It looks stunning and unique. I'd want a bespoke stadium not a boring bowl like Derby and Middlesbrough have got. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

It would be sad that we have to leave Hillsborough due to a lot of political issues but I feel it is time. 

I think Chansiri must be thinking about it, there are loads of easy wins at Hillsborough to make it look better if we were planning on staying in the long term.

Must agree with many of your points. The big question is WHERE if it came about. 

Don't forget, Wednesday fans travel from all popints of the compass to watch their beloved Owls.

The main points against Hillsborough are no different now to when it was a standing/seated  stadium holding 65,000

The main entrance /exit is on a busy dual carriageway. The other end, Car parking is virtually non-existent.

Leppings Lane, is a funnel.

Te sensible thing would be purchase of domestic properties along,  the Lane and the top of, Vere road.

In my 70+ years of following Wednesday, the only major external alteration has been the building of the bridge across the river.

2 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Loads of land to the south eastern side of the city. Great transport links too

Only or people who live on the East of the city, 

4 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Just playing devils advocate here.... If Chansiri wanted to spend the money on a new stadium why wouldn’t he consider making some upgrades to Hillsborough instead? And why hasn’t he already done it? 

Imagine it’s not cost effective. You’d want to replace 3/4 stands probably and you may as well just start again once you’re at that point. 

Regardless I can’t see it happening because it’s a hugely expensive project. 

16 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

If Chansiri can’t invest his millions in the team, is it seriously time to think about selling Hillsborough and moving to a new purpose built stadium?

I mean this as a long term investment to put us in a better financial position. 

Before I got shot down in flames please consider the following:

• there was that report a couple of years ago about how many millions more we (and Sheff Utd) have to pay to maintain our older stadiums than the likes of Derby and Leicester. That’s cash going out the window. 
  • other teams with similar or smaller crowds beat us on match day revenue all the time because our systems are antiquated and inefficient 
  • a new stadium would end once and for all our issues with segregation and SAG reports closing down big chunks of the ground and causing turnstile queues 
  • getting a name sponsor at a new ground wouldn’t be as bad as changing the name of Hillsborough and generate income 
  • there are loads of bits we need to upgrade anyway so may as well invest all in one 
  • the land we currently own has got to be worth a fair whack
  • some fans love our traditional stadium but for many many others it’s know for one thing, and it’s a big a disgrace really that Leppings Lane remains virtually the same from 1989
  • we rarely get close to selling out and stick away fans miles from the pitch, we’d have a much better atmosphere with a smaller, tighter ground

wild dreams again, phone him and tell him you'll pay for it.

we've a section up in arms on here about how much it costs to get in, and then this?

isn't the land on a flood plane? IF not have you looked at the housing around the ground, it's hardly likely someone would want to build any luxury homes in the Penistone road area.

smaller ground? hahahahaha! i'll bet dc is over the moon with that one, if he get's into the premier as is his plan, he'll want it full, not some cost a fortune 24,000 seat  'smaller' ground. 

finally where you going to site it?

• Thanks 1

Not for me, upgrade Hillsborough.

The bad publicity the ground gets stems mainly from 1989..any other ground in the country and the drawbacks would hardly get a mention.

You could spill a pint of beer on the f.ookin' concourse and the report would read 

"A pint of beer was spilt on the concourse at Hillsborough stadium where in 1989.....etc etc etc"

I'm not saying forget what happened 30 years ago...I'm saying Hillsborough is no longer the stadium it was back then...nor is any other.

There are worse grounds than ours that never get a mention, simply because they don't have the history, they have the same , if not worse inadequacies, but ours are highlighted.

Its unfair...The same rules should apply to ALL contemporary grounds...They should not be bent to suit historical circumstance...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1