Premier League 2019/20

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

VAR = going from one idiot (plus his assistants) potentially  ruining the game to two idiots (plus tv screens, funny offside lines) potentially ruining the game. 

Its a good system being poorly used.

TV monitors at every Prem ground and the referee doesn't even look at them?

The refs looked at them in the World Cup, and they should in the Prem.

I suspect the Premier League are pulling some strings here. Why would you not want the official running the game to look at the VAR replays?

Call me a turd, i dont think It was a red. Son bumps him, he lands and collides with the other player. Studs gets caught in pitch etc. 

Just an freak horrible accident. 

No way son could continue, but to make him the villian, by giving him the red. Nah not having it. 

As for var, good idea, very poorly used. 

Edited by Maddogbob

20 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

I've not seen it and I'm glad tbh. Just watching the post game stuff now. Var people saying because of the outcome of the challenge it's clear he was putting another player in danger, that's why it's a red. 

However that could describe every single foul made on a football pitch.

Wasn't a red.

VAR is not a solution to poor referring in this country. Said it before, premiership parachute payments would better diverted into producing framework for officiating. Encourage more semi professionals and ex academy players to look at this as a profession and pay full-time wages even at non league and lower league stages. Let them work and develop within the academy system as an entry level.

That was a freak accident.

Lads foot has planted and he has then collided with Aurier.

Speaking from experience, it doesn't take all that much to plant your foot wrong and go over on your ankle, let alone when you are a pro footballer going at it 100 mph.

Son has been sent off there because of the horrific outcome, not because of the tackle. 

2 hours ago, cazzaswfc said:

However that could describe every single foul made on a football pitch.

Wasn't a red.

VAR is not a solution to poor referring in this country. Said it before, premiership parachute payments would better diverted into producing framework for officiating. Encourage more semi professionals and ex academy players to look at this as a profession and pay full-time wages even at non league and lower league stages. Let them work and develop within the academy system as an entry level.

Agree with much of that

Always said the first thing would to improve the lamentable standard of refereeing before introducing VAR type systems - especially the absolute f*ckwittery of passing matters of opinion from the guy on the pitch to people in the stands - and look how many utterly contentious/bizarre/wrong decisions there have been even upon review

As an aside, young refs do develop within academy football - you often have very young refs officiating younger academy age groups

It's a good, if somewhat sterile environment for them to learn their craft

However i have seen a former premier league player whilst coaching an u18 team spend an entire match screaming obscenities at a terrified 14 year old linesman for his his decision making

1 hour ago, scram said:

As an aside, young refs do develop within academy football - you often have very young refs officiating younger academy age groups

It's a good, if somewhat sterile environment for them to learn their craft

However i have seen a former premier league player whilst coaching an u18 team spend an entire match screaming obscenities at a terrified 14 year old linesman for his his decision making

I know some are, due to pay how many give it up before hitting the non league scene?

The FA need to look at grass routes for more than just academy football, too  many poor officials at every level.

Massive upheaval needed to improve this.

Some ex pros at academy level need shaming, seen this myself big egos at play!

4 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

The VAR in that game was a joke.

Son should have had a penalty (it was more a penalty than the Watford one last night)

They check for handball that the ref hasn't seen (so obviously VAR has seen it), spend 57483920758432 hours and 547389267486789728564379678543 replays to look at it and then decide not to give it.

Son gets sent off for nothing more than a tactical foul with a bit of an ankle tap.

How are they getting it so wrong?

Changed your mind about VAR then?

On this forum, you were one of the most vocal advocates of it being brought in, not so long back.

Edited by Westfield Owl

13 hours ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Its a good system being poorly used.

TV monitors at every Prem ground and the referee doesn't even look at them?

The refs looked at them in the World Cup, and they should in the Prem.

I suspect the Premier League are pulling some strings here. Why would you not want the official running the game to look at the VAR replays?

There is absolutely no need whatsoever for the pitch referee to view an incident on a monitor.

VAR is not some trainee ref or someone picked up from the dole on a zero hours contract. VAR is a fully qualified experienced pitch referee who officiates at EPL games week in week out. So, even with subjective decisions where a level of interpretation is needed, both refs will come to the same decision in 99% of incidents. The VAR should review and make a decision, based on the extra information available, and inform the pitch ref. 

To me there are just two significant problems with VAR.

The time taken. Put a time limit on a review. If a decision to overturn the pitch ref can't be made in 60 seconds then the original decision stands. Put a bit of time pressure on VAR, I reckon their decision making will improve. 

Communication, especially to fans at the match. Wire up VAR and pitch ref so everyone can hear the discussions, what is being reviewed and why. (I'd wire up ref for the entire match, but that's a different issue).

Really feel for Son.

It was a clumsy tackle that started proceedings of a freak injury.

He was obviously devastated and to get a red card was bang out of order.

Any tackle on the pitch is putting a player in danger, what a stupid decision.

Said it before but VAR is ruining the beautiful game we once all loved. Saw Liverpool getting a goal disallowed for offside, we were talking millimetres, possibly his armpit offside.

What happened to clear and obvious? Is there any point of having a referee? Especially officials, their job is redundant now. 

5 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

At least put it behind a spoiler

In any case that's not Gomes. That ankle bends left and his bent right.

People believe owt on the internet dont they.

A quick google image search brings up a page from January which says it's Neymar's ankle following a cup game against Strasbourg.

5 hours ago, Skyline said:

Really feel for Son.

Said it before but VAR is ruining the beautiful game we once all loved. Saw Liverpool getting a goal disallowed for offside, we were talking millimetres, possibly his armpit offside.

What happened to clear and obvious? Is there any point of having a referee? Especially officials, their job is redundant now. 

Clear and obvious went out about 3 years ago if not more? 

18 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Changed your mind about VAR then?

On this forum, you were one of the most vocal advocates of it being brought in, not so long back.

No I haven't changed my mind about it.  I just can't understand why the EPL are making it look so hard.  

Anyone with a pair of eyes could see that Dele Ali handballed it in the box, it's a penalty.  It doesn't need 3 minutes and 45 replays to show it, you could see it clear as day in the first replay.  Simple.  The rules are clear, unnatural position, hits arm, penalty.  

They stated the "bar would be high" for turning over decisions, yet they give a penalty to Watford for a clear dive.  

The biggest frustration isn't that VAR is getting decisions right after a long delay, it's that it is still getting decisions wrong (and usually after a long delay).

Rugby, cricket, tennis, ice hockey, American football all manage to do the review system and on the whole they do it well.  But so far the EPL has utterly botched it by trying to over think and over complicate the whole thing.

Just not bothered...

The problem with the way VAR has been implemented in this league is simply subjectivity. So many decisions are argued over week in week out, some a 50/50 split. What’s the point in a more experienced on field official being overturned by a nobody watching a replay?

Eliminate as much subjectivity as possible, tell the referee he may want to go check a decision, let him watch the replay, let him decide whether he feels he got it wrong. It worked perfectly at the World Cup. 

A better system all together would be a review system, each team is given a challenge a game, if you’re challenge is correct you keep it, if it’s frivolous you lose it. Same again in this instance, it should be the match official who decides the outcome. 

It’s plane as day to see that the VAR officials are doing their best not to undermine the match official and overturn things. I’d argue a referee is much more likely to overturn their own decisions. 

12 hours ago, Skyline said:

Really feel for Son.

Saw a lot of people saying that Spurs shouldn't contest the red because "it's a bad look".

Absolute horseshit.  They should contest it.  It was a freak injury and Son didn't maliciously break his ankle.  

The red card isn't there to mitigate any harshness with the injury.  Apply it fairly and objectively.