Premier League 2019/20

Personally I like Southampton so it wasn’t a good night for me. And since the summer it’s been worrying with their transfer dealings such as to sign Che Adams, who any championship follower would know isn’t that special.  Despite being a club that’s alright for money their transfers over the past couple of years have been really poor and it’s looking like they will be going down this season as a consequence. The hope for me is that it’s the Owls that replace them! 

• Like 1

TBH it was the same with Bertrand's sending off against Leicester. Wasn't vicious. He's at full stretch falling backwards. Looked worse in slow motion.

Of course it was Mike Dean who was the 4th official and apparently brought it up for review.

Mariner let it go, played advantage for Leicester

So So'ton were doubly punished - losing a goal and a player.

11 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

TBH it was the same with Bertrand's sending off against Leicester. Wasn't vicious. He's at full stretch falling backwards. Looked worse in slow motion.

Of course it was Mike Dean who was the 4th official and apparently brought it up for review.

Mariner let it go, played advantage for Leicester

So So'ton were doubly punished - losing a goal and a player.

If you commit a foul in the build where advantage is played, the official should always go back and apply the appropriate action for the foul, regardless of what happens with the advantage. 

It was a marginal call whether it was a red card or a yellow card. A bit surprising that VAR overruled the on-field decision in that sense but not incorrect in terms of a double punishment. 

Atkinson was quick to decide that Zaha had dived.

To me, all the decisions that went to VAR on Sunday showed that refs are making a decision to stop the game, then letting VAR make the final decision.

That shouldn't be the case, should it?

12 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If you commit a foul in the build where advantage is played, the official should always go back and apply the appropriate action for the foul, regardless of what happens with the advantage. 

It was a marginal call whether it was a red card or a yellow card. A bit surprising that VAR overruled the on-field decision in that sense but not incorrect in terms of a double punishment. 

How far back do you go, though.

Maybe a throw or corner was given for one team when replays show it shouldn't have.

It's a bit like re-writing history to be politically correct :bullen:

Simple solution for VAR is to have it as an appeal system. Teams get two per game and if they fail they lose them. That way, anything can be appealed, but teams have to be prescriptive. Might put a stop to the idea that a goal can be disallowed because a player's tail was an inch offside 8 phases of play before the goal was scored, but absolutely no one noticed until the VAR refs saw the fourth replay and made the officials on the pitch aware of it.

The concept of VAR isn't inherently bad, but in its current guise it's f*cking awful

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Simple solution for VAR is to have it as an appeal system. Teams get two per game and if they fail they lose them. That way, anything can be appealed, but teams have to be prescriptive. Might put a stop to the idea that a goal can be disallowed because a player's tail was an inch offside 8 phases of play before the goal was scored, but absolutely no one noticed until the VAR refs saw the fourth replay and made the officials on the pitch aware of it.

The concept of VAR isn't inherently bad, but in its current guise it's f*cking awful

That would just add a further layer of f*ckwittery. 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Before it was introduced I thought that might be a good idea but from what I have seen I can't see that working either.

The first penalty Man Utd got yesterday was ridiculous. The ref on the pitch didn't give it. It was so bad that had their been an appeal system then Man Utd might not have bothered with an appeal but if they did then VAR would have given them a penalty. 

Similar with the Arsenal goal that was ruled out. The first (and possibly only) foul during that period of play was by a Palace defender but somehow the goal was chalked off and Palace got a free-kick. 

It would have made no difference who referred these decisions for a VAR review, the wrong decision was reached. 

16 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Before it was introduced I thought that might be a good idea but from what I have seen I can't see that working either.

The first penalty Man Utd got yesterday was ridiculous. The ref on the pitch didn't give it. It was so bad that had their been an appeal system then Man Utd might not have bothered with an appeal but if they did then VAR would have given them a penalty. 

Similar with the Arsenal goal that was ruled out. The first (and possibly only) foul during that period of play was by a Palace defender but somehow the goal was chalked off and Palace got a free-kick. 

It would have made no difference who referred these decisions for a VAR review, the wrong decision was reached. 

See, I'd personally prefer that, similar to how cricket works with its video review system. If they miss out on a chance for a pen, that's on them for not challenging. Equally if they waste it, that's on them rather than the officials. (I know the whole point is that the officials should get it right, but I'm chatting about purely who is responsible for reviews).

Appreciate not everyone agrees mind, and I might be severely regretting saying this is the system I'd prefer if it ever got introduced and some massive flaws came to light...