A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

On 15/07/2020 at 10:00, Sova said:

I think if Man or Wolves win the Europa League as well they could miss out even if they finish 6th.

The way I read it, this would only apply in the unlikely event that Man U / Wolves win the Europa League without finishing in the top 4 and Chelsea win the Champions League and finished outside the top 4 as well. Even then 6th should still qualify for Europe I think. 

It's complicated, but Leicester winning tonight would be the first step to this scenario.  (they won't, pigs will get at least a point, probably 3, nailed on)

Most likely scenario though is that 7th place will qualify, unless Arsenal finish lower and win the FA Cup.

26 minutes ago, Sova said:

Let's hope Leicester can get something against them tonight. And that the recent spate of last-minute goals in their favour has stopped.

Leiscteser have been dog poo since the return.

I'd be very suprised if they managed a draw, never mind beating the pigs.

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The way I read it, this would only apply in the unlikely event that Man U / Wolves win the Europa League without finishing in the top 4 and Chelsea win the Champions League and finished outside the top 4 as well. Even then 6th should still qualify for Europe I think. It's complicated, but Leicester winning tonight would be the first step to this scenario.  (they won't, pigs will get at least a point, probably 3, nailed on). Most likely scenario though is that 7th place will qualify, unless Arsenal finish lower and win the FA Cup.

In 2016/17 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Premier_League Man Utd finished 6th, but won the Europa League, so qualified for the Champions League; we ended up with 5 Champions League spots and 2 Europa League spots rather than the usual 4 and 3. If the rules haven't changed, what could happen is the top 4 could qualify via the league for the Champions League, plus Wolves could finish 7th and qualify by winning the Europa League. That would leave 2 Europa League spots. Arsenal could get one by winning the cup, and the other would go to the team in 5th. Some sites say it's possible for us to have 8 or even 9 teams in Europe, but the Premier League themselves say it's a maximum of 7 (https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained).

30 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The way I read it, this would only apply in the unlikely event that Man U / Wolves win the Europa League without finishing in the top 4 and Chelsea win the Champions League and finished outside the top 4 as well. Even then 6th should still qualify for Europe I think. 

It's complicated, but Leicester winning tonight would be the first step to this scenario.  (they won't, pigs will get at least a point, probably 3, nailed on)

Most likely scenario though is that 7th place will qualify, unless Arsenal finish lower and win the FA Cup.

Yeah the key thing is any English sides winning the two cups have to finish outside the top 4 for it to get messy. 

37 minutes ago, Sova said:

In 2016/17 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Premier_League Man Utd finished 6th, but won the Europa League, so qualified for the Champions League; we ended up with 5 Champions League spots and 2 Europa League spots rather than the usual 4 and 3. If the rules haven't changed, what could happen is the top 4 could qualify via the league for the Champions League, plus Wolves could finish 7th and qualify by winning the Europa League. That would leave 2 Europa League spots. Arsenal could get one by winning the cup, and the other would go to the team in 5th. Some sites say it's possible for us to have 8 or even 9 teams in Europe, but the Premier League themselves say it's a maximum of 7 (https://www.premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained).

giphy.gif

I previously assumed that Wolves winning the Europa would free up another space through the league which could have meant 9th place qualifying had City's ban stood. But maybe it reduces the Europa places instead.

Still think it most likely that Wolves won't win the Europa, Man Utd might but I think they'll finish 3rd or 4th anyway, Arsenal probably won't win the FA Cup, which I think means 7th is good enough. Spurs and Arsenal winning yesterday was good but I can see pigs getting 6-7 points from their last 3 games which would be enough for 7th and probably 6th. 

• Haha 1

Guest Bulgaria
3 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Leiscteser have been dog poo since the return.

I've always had problems spelling Leicester since I was a nipper, it's one of those words that I can never get right... However after seeing that galiant effort above, I feel slightly better now.

😊

Just now, latemodelchild said:

Was beginning to think they were unstoppable again. Shame villa didn't lose too, reight want them to go down cos it'll give the EFL a problem. 

Think villa are done anyway tbh.

• Like 1

Enjoyed watching that.

Leicester were really good and showed that if you hit United with pace they can be caught out. Vardy was exceptional using his pace and intelligence right across the Leicester front line.

United had little joy with those little triangles they play on either side of the penalty area when attacking, I though Leicester tracked the man rather than getting dragged towards the ball and it worked a treat.

Well thank goodness for that. At least they won't be in the Champions League next season. (Who'd have thought we'd be thinking that at the start of the season?) They were rubbish tonight - should have lost by 5. Still, with several games between the teams above them coming up, they've still got a chance of earning themselves a trip to some obscure Eastern European destination next season.

As I said in the George Hirst thread, was very impressed with the young lad Luke Thomas, would certainly be the kind of player I'd like to see us get on a season loan if Leicester wanted to ship him to further his development.

Honestly I thought Blunts looked very average, McGoldrick was non existent and McBurnie showed once again why he was never worth what they paid, same for that Burge. I do like the lad O'Connell though.