A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

1 hour ago, markg said:

He tends to sign players with a character that means they will push harder after being pulled down a peg or two. Or at the very least the vast majority of the squad are like that so don't allow the others to step out of line.

plus it will allow him to show who will spit the dummy out. Once he knows that they can't handle it he will get rid of them.

Can't stand him but it's great management. He builds a solid structure throughout the club. We are crying out for that

Yeah maybe. Summat about it feels like it could eventually backfire.

Do his players really believe that they are Championship standard and they are only there becasue of the manager?

Won't they start to think 'hang on, we got here, we survived, can you stop calling us poo please' 🤣

Being underdogs to rise up the league is great, but eventually you have to say you 'know what, we are actually good. We aren't underdogs.'

The only thing league 1/Championship about them is probably their wages, and guarantee some of their agents will be on to them about that.

Bad runs of form in the Prem are inevitable, personally I think it’s a bit harsh to blast them so publicly after losing to Leicester away after the current run they’ve been on. 

39 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Yeah maybe. Summat about it feels like it could eventually backfire.

Do his players really believe that they are Championship standard and they are only there becasue of the manager?

Won't they start to think 'hang on, we got here, we survived, can you stop calling us poo please' 🤣

Being underdogs to rise up the league is great, but eventually you have to say you 'know what, we are actually good. We aren't underdogs.'

Hope you're right pal 🙂

I think Wilder’s an excellent manager and United are incredibly lucky to have him. However, if they are going to to progress in the top tier under him, the time must surely come where he will have to sign more established Premier Leagues players and I just don’t think rants like last night’s will wash with them.
He seems to successfully motivate his current squad by constantly reminding them how far they’ve come under his guidance and how lucky they are to be where they are, but will players who‘ve been there and done it at the highest level respond the same? In a perverse way I wish it would work for him because most Premier League players are like spoiled pampered brats but I just can’t see it myself.

Edited by Growl67
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Growl67 said:

I think Wilder’s an excellent manager and United are incredibly lucky to have him. However, if they are going to to progress in the top tier under him, the time must surely come where he will have to sign more established Premier Leagues players and I just don’t think rants like last night’s will wash with them.
He seems to successfully motivate his current squad by constantly reminding them how far they’ve come under his guidance and how lucky they are to be where they are, but will players who‘ve been there and done it at the highest level respond the same? In a perverse way I wish it would work for him because most Premier League players are like spoiled pampered brats but I just can’t see it myself.

What i think will be the problem for them, is contracts.

Players like O'Connell, Egan, Stevens have done very well and will start to attract interest from other PL clubs. These clubs will be offering to double their wages. So United will need to atleast match this. 

This is when things get tricky, when players are in a position to ask for more money and you have no option to either sell or give into their demands. 

Sell them and you have to replace them with similar or better quality on little wages - Easier said than done. 

match the wages and give them that bumper contract. this is when it becomes a possibility that these players stop giving 110% every single game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Players like O'Connell, Egan, Stevens have done very well and will start to attract interest from other PL clubs. These clubs will be offering to double their wages. So United will need to atleast match this. 

This is when things get tricky, when players are in a position to ask for more money and you have no option to either sell or give into their demands. 

Sell them and you have to replace them with similar or better quality on little wages - Easier said than done. 

match the wages and give them that bumper contract. this is when it becomes a possibility that these players stop giving 110% every single game. 

They also can't keep finding 'hidden gems' in the lower leagues, so may well have to go abroad which is a different dynamic to where they are now

6 minutes ago, darra said:

If that had been Monk saying that the site would be been full of posts saying he's lost the dressing room instead of the it needed to be said posts

Personally I love to hear a manager who says it as it is it’s so rare these days. I suppose you can only do that if you’re confident in your own ability and the team is generally performing well though so you’re right, Monk would get slated as would any other manager who wasn’t performing too well. Wilder knows right now that he can get away with saying virtually anything even if some fans might not agree with him, a bit like Clough used to at especially at Forest. It’s all down to results though, fans have very short memories as we see often enough on here.

15 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

They also can't keep finding 'hidden gems' in the lower leagues, so may well have to go abroad which is a different dynamic to where they are now

Time comes where most sides end up having the big splash to stay in the Prem or go down frugally like Norwich.

No choice in the Prem.

Fulham spent £100m and made themselves worse. Stoke and Huddersfield spent a fortune on average players. Berge might be the beginning on the inevitable.

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

That’s why clubs such as Stoke, Hull, Birmingham, West Brom etc etc will only do well for a short period before it all comes tumbling down 

56 minutes ago, darra said:

If that had been Monk saying that the site would be been full of posts saying he's lost the dressing room instead of the it needed to be said posts

To be fair, you need to have the dressing room before you can lose it 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darra said:

Monk did do it, after the Wigan game earlier this year. We got even worse.

Wilder did it too earlier this season, it worked well for them

I am of the opinion that hanging your players out to dry is only a card you can play a minimal number of times and I generally criticise any manager than does it more than once, but I'm past the point trying to second guess Wilder - every action he's taken has continued them on an upwards trajectory so its impossible to say he's made a wrong move here.

Edited by nickswfc

3 hours ago, H2Owl said:

The only thing league 1/Championship about them is probably their wages, and guarantee some of their agents will be on to them about that.

Bad runs of form in the Prem are inevitable, personally I think it’s a bit harsh to blast them so publicly after losing to Leicester away after the current run they’ve been on. 

Yeah this.

After thay have just turned Chelsea over 3-0.

Aren't they allowed to have bad games?

He always does this.

When you think he'll go easy on them, he will tear them a new one.

Likewise, when you think he's going to b0llo0ck them, he will go all softy on them.

Seems to work so fair enough.

Edited by SiJ

He's right with what he said though: 

Him and Knill have given them a template for success. As things stand, if those players buy in and do what is required of them, then they'll do ok, heck sometimes much better than *ok.*

That system, the work rate etc., can be pretty lethal when they get it right. If they dont do what they're meant to do, or think they're better than they are, then they'll look like a bunch of players punching well above their weight.

The potential conundrum he may have going forward is whether he can find better players who are willing to buy in too and go with his approach. Or does he have to stick with the current guys and hope to find more lower league gems?

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

See they are signing goalkeeper Wes Foderingham. I may have dreamt this but haven’t we been linked with him recently? 

No idea.

He's not good enough to be a Prem number 1 imo.

No replacement for Henderson if he doesn't return.