A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Have you noticed that when teams break on them, they suddenly have loads of players back defending. They're either super fit or they play with 16 men. 

Well drilled and super fit.

If they go a goal up against you then you're in trouble atm.

They are very hard to break down. Chelsea barely created anything of note yesterday.

Classic Wilder this. They had a little iffy spell and will now go on a 10 game winning streak.

18 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Oh well qualifying for Europe isn't all that anymore. They will be joining an illustrious list of Burnley, Hull, Swansea, Wigan and Birmingham. When we qualified by finishing 3rd that competition was for more established sides. These days Fulham and Middlesbrough can go all the way to the final. 

They'll be in the Europa League next season, and their first thought will be to gloat at Wednesday about it. 7th place will guarantee it, but if City are banned 8th will be good enough and I think I'm right in saying that if either Man Utd or Wolves win the Europa League this season as well that could mean 9th place would qualify. 

As you say we had to finish 3rd to do it, and finished top 7 on 3 other occasions in the 90s without qualifying for Europe (fewer Champions League places back then) and thanks to Heysel we missed out on at least 3 other European campaigns. But still they'll gloat... 

• Haha 1

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Let's be honest, they're great aren't they?

They’re currently in a position that any Sheffield side playing within the financial parameters of football in 2020 can dream to be at. This literally is a golden age they are living through. Short of winning a trophy I don’t know how they can step up from this level? 

31 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Have you noticed that when teams break on them, they suddenly have loads of players back defending. They're either super fit or they play with 16 men. 

It does genuinely look like they have more players on the field. 

The only positive from this is before the restart I was convinced they'd make Champions League and win the FA Cup - I'd have taken them in Europa 'only' then.

• Like 3

Guest The Horse
1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Why do blades on here refer to their own club as "they", "their", or "them"? 

Careful.
I got my posts deleted for pointing this out!

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

Why do blades on here refer to their own club as "they", "their", or "them"? 

I don't know. Why don't you tell us. Or is it a case of if you don't follow the 'party line ' you are accused of being a Blade ? Don't let your paranoia stifle discussion and debate.

Edited by ATBS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Problem for them is that I think it's going to be hard to get new players that buy in to their philosophy

Which is why they often go for players with something to prove 

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

I still can recall one of my first home games as a kid and asking my Dad why it looked like the opposition had more players than us and he said ‘simple they’re working harder than us’.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pachyderm said:

They remind me of Bournemouth. A little more successful first season up though, right?  

I'm surprised Leicester is still in the Prem. And that Vardy is still with them. 

I'm hoping it'll be more like Ipswich when they went up, did unbelievable in the first season then got relegated in the second 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owls maniac said:

They’re currently in a position that any Sheffield side playing within the financial parameters of football in 2020 can dream to be at. This literally is a golden age they are living through. Short of winning a trophy I don’t know how they can step up from this level? 

Finish 6th?

7 hours ago, nickswfc said:

It does genuinely look like they have more players on the field. 

The only positive from this is before the restart I was convinced they'd make Champions League and win the FA Cup - I'd have taken them in Europa 'only' then.

The way results have been going for them lately, they still might get into the Champions League, particularly if Man City are kicked out, especially if they can beat Leicester on Thursday (Leicester finish against Spurs and Man Utd; Chelsea and Wolves also play each other on the last day). And yes, they seem unbelievably fit, particularly the core of the side -when it comes to minutes played this season, 7 of the top 54 players in the Premier League play for them, and 4 of them have started every game (and Henderson would have too had he been allowed to play against Man Utd).