A Nightmare on Jihadi John Street

darra

1 hour ago, trev said:

I've got to the point where I hope England come calling for Wilder. I don't see them imploding whilst he is there. He just seems to be a really impressive motivator and man manager. He is literally performing miracles. It's horrendously impressive.

It's incredible. The way he's worked up the league since starting out at Alfreton is like someone playing Football Manager.

4 minutes ago, Sova said:

It's incredible. The way he's worked up the league since starting out at Alfreton is like someone playing Football Manager.

And the odds that he would be a pig fan to boot.

I thought most of their supporters were meant to be scruffy, talentless idlers. 

5th and 6th are guaranteed Europa League due to Man City winning the League Cup. If Arsenal make the FA Cup final I believe they will take the third Europa League spot (as the other 3 teams left are all in European places already).

That is unlikely as City will beat Arsenal meaning 7th will be a Europa League place as well. United need to finish 8th!

32 minutes ago, mark77 said:

5th and 6th are guaranteed Europa League due to Man City winning the League Cup. If Arsenal make the FA Cup final I believe they will take the third Europa League spot (as the other 3 teams left are all in European places already).

That is unlikely as City will beat Arsenal meaning 7th will be a Europa League place as well. United need to finish 8th!

That would mean 35% of the Premier League will have qualified for Eurpope.

Compared with 25% of the Championship making the top 6.

More teams can make it into Europe than can make the playoffs. Remember when it was the best teams from the league?

54 minutes ago, mark77 said:

We have 4 Champions League spots and 3 Europa League spots, so unless an English team wins either the Champions League or the Europa League this season they'll have to make the top 7. Actually, I'm not sure that would make any difference; we didn't get any extra spots after Man U won the 2016/17 Europa League, or after Liverpool won the Champions League last season, so I reckon they'd have to finish in the top 7. I could be wrong though.

Guest The Horse
6 hours ago, Plonk said:

They’re not getting “ sussed out” because there’s nothing to “ suss out”. Same as when Wilkinson took over, it wasn’t about tactics, everyone knew how we played, it was about the sheer finess and determination of the team. Wilder has got them running through brick walls. 

Except for when the weather is boiling hot.
They lost those three games on the bounce and looked a shadow of themselves we had that spell of good weather.
Which is why Wilder would be pants as England manager as his methods just wouldn't work in the summer months.
We'd get picked off like ripe cherries.
Just their luck that their fortunes changed with this miserable weather we're having for the time of year.

2 hours ago, The Horse said:

Except for when the weather is boiling hot.
They lost those three games on the bounce and looked a shadow of themselves we had that spell of good weather.
Which is why Wilder would be pants as England manager as his methods just wouldn't work in the summer months.
We'd get picked off like ripe cherries.
Just their luck that their fortunes changed with this miserable weather we're having for the time of year.

I know things are bad, but fk me, I've now just felt the need to look up the weather forecast for Leicester on Thursday. 

This is what things have become 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Don't you need to win the FA Cup now to make Europa?

I think it is one team from the FA Cup, obviously winners but runners up if the winners are already in. Obviously if both finalists are already in then it moves to the league.

If Chelsea or city win the champions league we get an extra place so top five qualify.

if anyone other than arsenal win the fa cup then 6thto8th qualify for europa .

If Arsenal win the FA cup then 6 th and 7th qualify.

3 hours ago, Plonk said:

If Chelsea or city win the champions league we get an extra place so top five qualify.

if anyone other than arsenal win the fa cup then 6thto8th qualify for europa .

If Arsenal win the FA cup then 6 th and 7th qualify.

You don't get an extra place if a team wins the Champions League but has already qualified via the league anyway. The only way we'd get an extra place is if a team won either the Champions League or the Europa League but finished outside the top 4. For example, not only did Liverpool win the Champions League in 2018/19, Chelsea also won the Europa League. But because those two also finished in the top 4, we still ended up with "just" 4 teams in the Champions League this season, plus the usual 3 in the Europa League.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mark77 said:

I think it is one team from the FA Cup, obviously winners but runners up if the winners are already in. Obviously if both finalists are already in then it moves to the league.

Used to give it to runners up if winners had already qualified but changed it a few years ago. It now goes to next placed team in the League now 

On 13/07/2020 at 00:17, Sheff74 said:

Really, which of their players have flopped then?  In the games I have watched lately Berge looks good, whether it's 20m good might remain to be seen, but he is hardly out of his depth.  That Osborne lad who they got for fizz all from Forest looks very tidy. And whilst not being prolific, both of the strikers they signed for big money in the summer are getting a few goals, and putting in shifts.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Tried making this point to a couple of blades on FB when I was reminded of a post 1 year ago about their signings and that they don't look that good, but it was completely lost on them.

My point a few days ago was that if you look at the signings individually, are they worth the money? Berge has looked pretty anonymous in most games (which I've even seen Blades say themselves), so for £20m doesn't look value for money at this current time. Then you take the 2 strikers, which I'm a bit of a traditionalist in that I expect my strikers to score, but even more especially so if I'd paid nearly £30m for 2 strikers. To me, a return of a goal every 5 or 6 games is pretty rubbish.

The argument against that is well look where they are in the league so they must be good, but then surely if a team who are supposedly playing as well as United with silky football sitting around the Euro places, your strikers should be firing on all cylinders? It's even less of an excuse for them not to be scoring. The only thing holding their team where they are atm is their defensive record

As a team they are good signings because of how the team are performing and they must gel in to it somehow, but on an individual basis (taking in to account values paid) I would say not at this current time

And for the record, because this is always thrown out there as just being bitter and they aren't rubbish because of where they are, I'm not saying as a team they are rubbish and don't deserve to be where they are. They are doing extremely well, I'd be delighted if it was us and thoroughly deserve to be where they are, but just adding a bit more criticism / analysis of their players in general doesn't mean we're saying they are rubbish. Another angle would be, if they was laying between mid to lower of the Premier, would their players be then getting more criticism of their records / performances? I would bank on their strikers being criticised for poor returns

Edited by smhouston

4 hours ago, Sova said:

You don't get an extra place if a team wins the Champions League but has already qualified via the league anyway. The only way we'd get an extra place is if a team won either the Champions League or the Europa League but finished outside the top 4. For example, not only did Liverpool win the Champions League in 2018/19, Chelsea also won the Europa League. But because those two also finished in the top 4, we still ended up with "just" 4 teams in the Champions League this season, plus the usual 3 in the Europa League.

Yep maximum of 7 places regardless. 8th only got a place if City got kicked out. 7th place will be the spillover from the League Cup and will be 2nd qualifying round for Europa not group stage immediately. 

20 hours ago, Sova said:

Thanks soda I had misunderstood that. So unless arsenal win the cup, seventh will see them in Europe?

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

Thanks soda I had misunderstood that. So unless arsenal win the cup, seventh will see them in Europe?

I think if Man or Wolves win the Europa League as well they could miss out even if they finish 6th.