Bury EFL Cup Game Off - Official

15 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

For Bury's situation to come to this, rather than points deduction, is crazy. Just WTF has gone wrong with football finance? It's a rhetorical question btw.

It's their fans I feel sorry for, as all you want as a fan is to be entertained and successful if possible. You huff and you puff, and you blow your house down to get there, and if you don't, this is what happens.

Utter.

℉vck!ng

Madness!

What would be worse:

Not letting the start the season without the evidence they have the finances to complete the season

Them starting and being liquidated during the Season and then have all the issues with how you work out the points removal from teams who have already played them etc.

• Like 1

Seems from the wording as though they're hoping there can be a resolution in the next fortnight and the game can get played (presumably in the week of the second round) but the fear is the situation will only get worse and we'll end up with a bye.

Would rather we played. We only have to think back to 2010 to realise that we weren't far from what Bury fans are facing right now.

29 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

We could have done with this game being on.  Would have given new faces game time and players not yet featured.

Not to mention our share of the gate receipts, at the end of the day it's a business - if we get a bye to the next round we'd still be down around £40-50k as well as Bury which doesn't seem a lot and the same amount to Bury for their share would mean more to them right now but we're also losing money hand over fist.

If we have to replay it, that gives us another tie to shoehorn into the schedule later - if we do play Bury we can't do so now until second round week, which means that (if we go through!) we'd probably have to play the second round tie in w/c 16 Sep as the third round is the following week.

Its an awful state of affairs, not sure if you heard their "new" chairman on Talksport other night, the debt he inherited was 12M > 13M.  Players on up to 9K a week! For league 2...  In his words the previous chairman was running Bury like a premier league team.  Bonkers ;/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

What would be worse:

Not letting the start the season without the evidence they have the finances to complete the season

Them starting and being liquidated during the Season and then have all the issues with how you work out the points removal from teams who have already played them etc.

You maybe misunderstood what I was referring to. My post was in relation to football finance, not the decision. So I'm saying It's crazy and utter madness that Bury have got themselves in to a position where their games are suspended.

Reading the article it seems to me that Bury were served notice to be withdrawn from the EFL on the 25th July which was suspended until today. As they haven't sufficiently responded to the football league with proposals for financing the season the withdrawal has been activated. Bury have 14 days now to resolve this or be kicked out of the football league and the league cup. Dark days for football

3 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

From a selfish Wednesdayite point of view, it would do us a favour if we got a bye to the next round.

One less fixture to prepare for, avoids injuries/fatigue and keep the players fresh to focus on the league.

Or it’s an “easy” game to keep the form, hit a few goals, clean sheet, and game time for those on the fringe.

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Or it’s an “easy” game to keep the form, hit a few goals, clean sheet, and game time for those on the fringe.

We don’t do “easy” games.  When was the last time we really pasted someone in the cup?

But I can think of plenty in recent memory where lower league opponents have embarrassed us e.g. Cambridge, Shrewsbury, Port Vale etc.

We already have to play 6 league games in August anyway.  We could really do without playing Bury in the cup as well.

If we do get a buy to the next round, it’s a rare bit of good luck for us IMO.

1 hour ago, shep77 said:

Its an awful state of affairs, not sure if you heard their "new" chairman on Talksport other night, the debt he inherited was 12M > 13M.  Players on up to 9K a week! For league 2...  In his words the previous chairman was running Bury like a premier league team.  Bonkers ;/

I know we all sympathise with Bury FC and its supporters and its easy to say things about how much money in in the Premier league.
But if this post is true then Bury FC have only really themselves to blame for being in such a mess. Hope they can find a way forward though.

18 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

We don’t do “easy” games.  When was the last time we really pasted someone in the cup?

But I can think of plenty in recent memory where lower league opponents have embarrassed us e.g. Cambridge, Shrewsbury, Port Vale etc.

We already have to play 6 league games in August anyway.  We could really do without playing Bury in the cup as well.

If we do get a buy to the next round, it’s a rare bit of good luck for us IMO.

Very true!! But surely even we wouldn’t mess up against a team in Bury’s current predicament, would we? Second thoughts, don’t answer that! lol 

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know we all sympathise with Bury FC and its supporters and its easy to say things about how much money in in the Premier league.
But if this post is true then Bury FC have only really themselves to blame for being in such a mess. Hope they can find a way forward though.

I more or less look at it from a supporters point of view....or the employees..but you have a point.

There are clubs a mere f.ookin' jog away that could help easily...They don't ...but be honest.... if that became the norm..it would not help clubs getting in over their heads.

Bury could field a team for the cup game..let 'em..in fact..make 'em..Why suspend the game?

That actually affects us doesn't it?...Why should it?

Either let them play it..or give us a bye

I was just wondering if anyone else didn't give a flyin' f.ook as long as Wednesday got through?

Err....i don't mean "else"....sorry I mean

Is there anyone out there would secretly be pleased if we got through without playing..

Just sort of asking, cos I do feel sorry for what bury are going through..wiv all the Yadayada..etxc etc etc...ummm stuff....

But....

Is there any heartless f.ooker who thinks a Bye would sorta prevent injuries and having to actually...ummmm...errr.. watch f.ookin' Bury?

Cos that would be a terrible attitude...given all the....errrrummm...errr wotsit!

13 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I was just wondering if anyone else didn't give a flyin' f.ook as long as Wednesday got through?

Err....i don't mean "else"....sorry I mean

Is there anyone out there would secretly be pleased if we got through without playing..

Just sort of asking, cos I do feel sorry for what bury are going through..wiv all the Yadayada..etxc etc etc...ummm stuff....

But....

Is there any heartless f.ooker who thinks a Bye would sorta prevent injuries and having to actually...ummmm...errr.. watch f.ookin' Bury?

Cos that would be a terrible attitude...given all the....errrrummm...errr wotsit!

No doubt Mr C is happy that Wednesday are through to the next round

1755869092_SidChansirismall.jpg.b727db73cbed8ecc502f781aafeaa8f9.jpg