Bury EFL Cup Game Off - Official

Bury FC’s scheduled Carabao Cup fixture with Sheffield Wednesday has been suspended by the EFL Board after the Club failed to provide the additional specific detail requested in relation to a number of its financial obligations.

The Club had been set a 5pm deadline on Wednesday 7 August 2019 by the League who were seeking further information into how they planned to meet its commitments in respect of football creditor debts, payment to unsecured creditors as part of the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), alongside source and sufficiency of funding for season 2019/20.

Following extensive discussions and correspondence between the Club’s ownership and the League - the additional information provided lacks the clarity required and as a result of the League not being able to defer the decision any later than today, the Club’s Carabao Cup tie on Tuesday 13 August 2019 will not take place as scheduled in accordance with Carabao Cup rules. 

The EFL will continue to concentrate its efforts on working constructively with the Club and Mr Dale to obtain the detail required to avoid any further suspensions.

However, the EFL Board is of the strong opinion that it cannot continue to suspend fixtures indefinitely and, after Wednesday’s deadline for information was passed without a successful resolution, it will now lift the suspension on the notice of withdrawal of membership of the EFL.

Bury were served the notice of withdrawal of membership on 25 July 2019 and it has remained suspended until today (8 August 2019). 

As per the League’s Articles of Association, this will now give the Club 14 days (until 23 August 2019) to meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy or its membership of the EFL will be withdrawn.

EFL Executive Chair, Debbie Jevans CBE, said:  “Despite continued efforts, regular communication and dialogue with Mr Dale and his team, the required evidence has not been forthcoming.  Albeit regretfully, the Board has been left with no choice but to take the action it has.”

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, DesWalker said:

We could have done with this game being on.  Would have given new faces game time and players not yet featured.

This was a big reason I wanted the game to go ahead. A by at this time of the season is pointless 

For Bury's situation to come to this, rather than points deduction, is crazy. Just WTF has gone wrong with football finance? It's a rhetorical question btw.

It's their fans I feel sorry for, as all you want as a fan is to be entertained and successful if possible. You huff and you puff, and you blow your house down to get there, and if you don't, this is what happens.

Utter.

℉vck!ng

Madness!

Edited by ChapSmurf

3 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

For Bury's situation to come to this, rather than points deduction, is crazy. Just WTF has gone wrong with football finance? It's a rhetorical question btw.

It's their fans I feel sorry for, as all you want as a fan is to be entertained and successful if possible. You huff and you puff, and you blow your house down to get there, and if you don't, this is what happens.

Utter.

℉vck!ng

Madness!

It's the people who work for the club and are going to be out of a job I feel sorry for tbh

14 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

The wording is odd to me who isn't fluent in football law terms, speaking of suspended but also being off. But does it mean we win this by walk over and proceed to the next round?

I read that the game is suspended til the 23rd August ..

If They ....Bury satisfies the EFL criteria 

By that time then the game will be resheduled.

One would assume ?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mrrodge said:

What a sorry state English football is in.

When you have Lukaku going for £70m up the road and Bury on the verge of folding something has to be done.

ANy you have a bunch of ex-pro's playing around with Salford, just up the road throwing money at them.