Talks with Westwood

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

We do need to remember he is 34, if his wages are sky high and he gets the same again for 2/3 years, is that really good for us?

I want him to stay, I just hope we have our parameters agreed so that we don’t keep getting stuck in a FFP rut.

Not really an age for a keeper, to be fair. 

• Like 3

If we do manage to get him to resign a deal then we need to get Wildsmith and / or Dawson out on season long loans to lower championship / league one clubs. 

If they are ever going to be in a position to replace Westwood they will need to develop and the best way to do that is playing first team football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keepers can easily play until they are pushing 40 and beyond these days. I see no reason for keeping Westwood until he’s 37 at 34 he’s looked class and head and shoulders above many in this division since he’s been reinstated. It’s not the pre 90s where footballers fondant look after themselves and keepers were overweight. Westwood is in great shape even if he is made of cheese a little 

Worth a 3 year deal on the same wage as he is now.

2 year deal if he wants an improved contract.

You don't get many players who really connect with the fans like he does. He just has that presence and has something about him. 

Anything longer than a two year contract is madness.  He is almost certainly one of our best paid players, and so it’s even debatable whether we should match his current wage. 

It all depends really on how bad the general financial position is. We do have a competent ‘keeper in Dawson, and I would suspect he’s probably on a tenth of what Westwood is on.

Ultimately I trust Steve Bruce to make the right decision, assuming that he will have a degree of say in what we offer Westwood.

32 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Anything longer than a two year contract is madness.  He is almost certainly one of our best paid players, and so it’s even debatable whether we should match his current wage. 

It all depends really on how bad the general financial position is. We do have a competent ‘keeper in Dawson, and I would suspect he’s probably on a tenth of what Westwood is on.

Ultimately I trust Steve Bruce to make the right decision, assuming that he will have a degree of say in what we offer Westwood.

Pure madness

we have two good understudies yes but we have a match winning keeper 

with Westwood in goal we win the Norwich game which puts us only 2 points from playoffs 

that’s one game 

he’s over 50% clean sheet record since he’s been reinstated again 

that man can’t be replaced for free he’s is one if not the best goalkeeper in the division and it would ludicrous to let him go with out trying to retain his services 

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Pure madness

we have two good understudies yes but we have a match winning keeper 

with Westwood in goal we win the Norwich game which puts us only 2 points from playoffs 

that’s one game 

he’s over 50% clean sheet record since he’s been reinstated again 

that man can’t be replaced for free he’s is one if not the best goalkeeper in the division and it would ludicrous to let him go with out trying to retain his services 

I agree, as per my post, that efforts should be made to keep him. But it all rests on how bad the finances are.

4 hours ago, Mr Hooper said:

Worth a 3 year deal on the same wage as he is now.

2 year deal if he wants an improved contract.

You don't get many players who really connect with the fans like he does. He just has that presence and has something about him. 

Yearly rolling contract at the most. 3 year contract at 34. No thanks.

I would offer him 2 years on same terms. If he plays say 75 league games games in that period he gets a year extention. 

Offering him improved terms isn't something we can afford, same terms is generous at his age I think. He had long periods out last season too.

We all want him to stay, but not at any cost. 

I'm going to go against the grain here, he's a top keeper, as good as anything in the Championship, but you have to remember he suffers from injury quite often

If Bruce is given a choice between Westwood and Hector, I hope he spaffs the cash on Hector

I'd be sorry to see Westwood go, but we have two good young keepers

We currently have no one to replace Hector

If we could keep both that would be awesome, but if cash is limited, I wouldn't want us to blow the budget on Westwood

• Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.