Talks with Westwood

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Really hope we can tie him up for two years 

if the deal breaker is three it’s a no brainier give the man what he wants 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/fans-favourite-keiren-westwood-set-for-crunch-talks-with-sheffield-wednesday-1-9726475

I'd definitely want him to sign for two,insentivise for the third.

Most important business we will do between now and the start of next season is getting a new contract sorted for Westwood. Fully deserves a new 2 year contract at least. Still for me one of if not the best keeper in the league. Be a massive mistake to lose him. 

we should offer him what we can afford  ….the days of giving in to players demands as to stop if we are to get the right side of FFP …..it's pointless giving him xxx amount for the 10 points he saves us if by doing so we get hit with a points deduction as we surely will if we keep flouting the rules …….he may well take a drop in wages to stay here but if hudders or whoever are in a position to offer more then that would be a test of his loyalty and love for the club that some seem to think he has … 

Hang on, I thought he was third choice.......That parallel universe we found ourselves in was a dark place!!!

Westwood controls everything in front of him, his communication with the defence and reading of the game is second to none. Like an extra defender.

Would be massive if we keep him.

Huddersfield talks are leaked a few days before he is set to sit down with Bruce. And that's what you call an agent doing his job. 

It'd be interesting if Chansiri broke the bank to keep him after letting (or instructing...) the previous manager leave him out. 

Edited by Owls2k

13 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Huddersfield talks are leaked a few days before he is set to sit down with Bruce. And that's what you call an agent doing his job. 

It'd be interesting if Chansiri broke the bank to keep him after letting (or instructing...) the previous manager leave him out. 

Bet Joe Harts agents doing just the same about this time the as will Westwoods agent , touting him to promoted to /or relegated Premier League  clubs ...

I don't think Chansiri will be spending much money in the close season, under the instructions from his present manager. 

Unless there's a big swing in cash from sales after balancing losses .......

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST
  • Like 3

Just now, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Bet Joe Harts agents doing just the same about this time the same as Westwoods agent , touting him to promoted to /or relegated Premier League  clubs ...

I don't think Chansiri will be spending much money in the close season, under the instructions from his manager. 

Unless there's a big swing in cash from sales after balancing losses .......

Same. 

Perhaps you can chuck a few more quid at a few players (Westwood would be one you'd push the boat out for, assuming you could), but I'm expecting our recruits to be very much in the Iorfa mold - young, with potential/resale value and relatively cheap. 

Truth be told, I'm all for that. 

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Same. 

Perhaps you can chuck a few more quid at a few players (Westwood would be one you'd push the boat out for, assuming you could), but I'm expecting our recruits to be very much in the Iorfa mold - young, with potential/resale value and relatively cheap. 

Truth be told, I'm all for that. 

Our players who's contracts are up Westwood and Palmer (to a degree) have the bargain chip .

I'm amazed at Palmers "reboot" since February. ..

However the rest of the Squad with Iorfa (being the yardstick / Standard as you endorsed) the exception are available at the very best price that can be got .

Even Sir Alex Aspired to this model ...

Since Big Ron days this is the first manager we've had who has got a huge network amongst the clubs ..

I'm eager to see what's in store for us?

As you say let's have more like Iorfa ......

• Like 1

Just now, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Our players who's contracts are up Westwood and Palmer (to a degree) have the bargain chip .

I'm amazed at Palmers "reboot" since February. ..

However the rest of the Squad with Iorfa (being the yardstick / Standard as you endorsed) the exception are available at the very best price that can be got .

Even Sir Alex Aspired to this model ...

Since Big Ron days this is the first manager we've had who has got a huge network amongst the clubs ..

I'm eager to see what's in store for us?

As you say let's have more like Iorfa ......

Imagine Palmer will be easier to tie down than Westwood, but I think they'll be quite a few takers for Palmer based on how well he's played since Bruce came in. 

48 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Hang on, I thought he was third choice.......That parallel universe we found ourselves in was a dark place!!!

Westwood controls everything in front of him, his communication with the defence and reading of the game is second to none. Like an extra defender.

Would be massive if we keep him.

Sadly fella there were people who actually  believed this.

2 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Dom Howson lying through his teeth again. I can confirm that after his scan none of KW's joints are crunching .'. these are not crunch talks but contract talks. KW will want the best possible contract on offer. If we want to keep him, we keep him. Simple really ! 

As simple as three little letters.

FFP.

Guest wilyfox

I'd be wary of a 3yr deal. He's been terrific recently, but reality is we've already had the prime years of his career already. He'll start to decline at some point, whether that's injuries or reactions. Top dollar contracts for ageing players nearing the end of their best is partly how we've ended up in this mess to begin with.

As much as I love Westwood, there's a tendency here to wanna hang on, and on, and on to players until the end of time. Happy to let DC & Bruce weigh up the pros & cons of overall package.