Talks with Westwood

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm going to go against the grain here, he's a top keeper, as good as anything in the Championship, but you have to remember he suffers from injury quite often

If Bruce is given a choice between Westwood and Hector, I hope he spaffs the cash on Hector

I'd be sorry to see Westwood go, but we have two good young keepers

We currently have no one to replace Hector

If we could keep both that would be awesome, but if cash is limited, I wouldn't want us to blow the budget on Westwood

This.

Get them told @HOOTIE AND THE poo TU

One year extension, low(ish) base wages with heavy performance based incentives - decent clean sheet bonus, generous promotion bonus and a guaranteed extension on enhanced wages triggered by promotion.

Or (if acceptable within the bounds of P&S), matching or even improved overall guaranteed remuneration with 20% drop in wages for the duration of the contract and a long term incentive payment upon completion, triggered by a generous minimum appearances clause (say 25-30 league games a season)... kicks the P&S problem down the road a bit whilst rewarding him for being a key member of the team for the duration of the contract rather than sitting it out Abdi style.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Hooper said:

Any reason for that?

He's a fit guy, and keepers like that can play well into their 30's. 

Yes, many keepers have yearly extensions at that age, why take the risk? Its unnecessary, do we want to really offer one of the higher earners at the club a year deal at 34.... Honestly??

If he is loyal and committed as people say he is then what wrong with a rolling contract?

I wouldn't personally take a rolling contract at 34. 

People with family's (no matter how committed to a club they are) need re-assurance. 

Look at Lee Grant now, sitting at MUFC on a decent paid contract. Westwood could quite easily do that for the security if we aren't willing to give him 2/3 years.

I wouldn't care so much, but there really isn't many Keepers as good as him around.

Offering him a yearly rolling contract at this stage of his career with how he’s playing and contributed you may as well offer him his p45 he can easily command a 2-3 year deal on very good wages it’s up to us to get him tied up here 

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Offering him a yearly rolling contract at this stage of his career with how he’s playing and contributed you may as well offer him his p45 he can easily command a 2-3 year deal on very good wages it’s up to us to get him tied up here 

Good luck to the guy then 

4 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I wouldn't personally take a rolling contract at 34. 

People with family's (no matter how committed to a club they are) need re-assurance. 

Look at Lee Grant now, sitting at MUFC on a decent paid contract. Westwood could quite easily do that for the security if we aren't willing to give him 2/3 years.

I wouldn't care so much, but there really isn't many Keepers as good as him around.

Its up to him I guess. What do we want to risk, Huddersfield could easily offer that due to their extra spending power. I wouldn't risk it personally, 1 year or let him go. If he gets 3 years elsewhere good for him. 

15 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm going to go against the grain here, he's a top keeper, as good as anything in the Championship, but you have to remember he suffers from injury quite often

If Bruce is given a choice between Westwood and Hector, I hope he spaffs the cash on Hector

I'd be sorry to see Westwood go, but we have two good young keepers

We currently have no one to replace Hector

If we could keep both that would be awesome, but if cash is limited, I wouldn't want us to blow the budget on Westwood

I have to disagree with this with Westwood in the team we have the one of the best defences in the league.

Without Westwood in the team and including Hector the defence was the worse in the league.

We did have two promising young keeper one conceded two goals a game and one has not been allowed to play barely any football for over a season. For me if the choice came to Westwood or hector then for me Westwood every day of the week, Thorniley is a very decent shout for the Left centre back role and given game time in the next season or two will develop into a better centre back.

Don't get me wrong I hope we keep Hector but to look where the money would be better spent you only have to look at the defence with Westwood and without to know which of these two players is more vital to the club. Had Westwood played 40+ games this season and not been prevented from playing we would now be in the top 6.

23 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I have to disagree with this with Westwood in the team we have the one of the best defences in the league.

Without Westwood in the team and including Hector the defence was the worse in the league.

We did have two promising young keeper one conceded two goals a game and one has not been allowed to play barely any football for over a season. For me if the choice came to Westwood or hector then for me Westwood every day of the week, Thorniley is a very decent shout for the Left centre back role and given game time in the next season or two will develop into a better centre back.

Don't get me wrong I hope we keep Hector but to look where the money would be better spent you only have to look at the defence with Westwood and without to know which of these two players is more vital to the club. Had Westwood played 40+ games this season and not been prevented from playing we would now be in the top 6.

Under Jos

The clean sheets weren't all down to Westwood, I would argue they are more down to Bruce

The young keeper kept a clean sheet against a Bristol side who put 3 past our neighbours

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

42 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Under Jos

The clean sheets weren't all down to Westwood, I would argue they are more down to Bruce

The young keeper kept a clean sheet against a Bristol side who put 3 past our neighbours

But when you compare the team with Westwood and without Westwood we go from relegation threatened to promotion hopefuls.

You could put in down to Bruce or you could put it down to the guy in goal organising those in front of him and when one gets past he normally save them.

Norwich was a very good example of the team without Westwood, we defended a lot deeper because they had less confidence in the keeper and we let in a very soft first goal that Westwood would have saved. Hector is a good player but a top quality goal keeper is more important for me that a good centre half if we could only have one of them.

Apart from cash, which I agree is.a very important factor, what do Huddersfield have to offer that we don't. Remember. If he were to go to them, he would still be playing, or possibly subbing, in the same league as he is now.   

As much as this pains me to say, i don't think we can afford him. If we pay him what he will get offered by cash rich Huddersfield we will not have enough money to re-build other areas. In Dawson and Wildsmith we have very capable keepers and the money saved on Westwoods wages needs to go towards a centre half (hector preferably) and rebuilding the rest of the team. The only thing you could ask him to do is sign a 2 year rolling contract if you are confident that there are clubs out there who will pay money to buy him, but this is risky as no one might come in. I would offer a reduced wage over 3 years and say if you stay on normal wages you will play and probably become best keeper in our history, if he decides he wants higher wage (which is understandable) then shake hands and wish all the best and Dawson and Wildsmith are 1 and 2 next year. Personally i see him elsewhere next season, but regardless Westwood is my favourite keeper ever.

8 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

As much as this pains me to say, i don't think we can afford him. If we pay him what he will get offered by cash rich Huddersfield we will not have enough money to re-build other areas. In Dawson and Wildsmith we have very capable keepers and the money saved on Westwoods wages needs to go towards a centre half (hector preferably) and rebuilding the rest of the team. The only thing you could ask him to do is sign a 2 year rolling contract if you are confident that there are clubs out there who will pay money to buy him, but this is risky as no one might come in. I would offer a reduced wage over 3 years and say if you stay on normal wages you will play and probably become best keeper in our history, if he decides he wants higher wage (which is understandable) then shake hands and wish all the best and Dawson and Wildsmith are 1 and 2 next year. Personally i see him elsewhere next season, but regardless Westwood is my favourite keeper ever.

If we offered him the same terms he is currently on it would be reduced terms as everything costs more now.

With the saving on the likes of Hooper, Lee, Abdi, Jones, Pudil, Onomah I think we can make sure we keep Westwood at least for another 2 years. 

Of the players out of contract keep Westwood and palmer the rest can go, unless they want to prove their fitness to us and win a contract by being available to play every game.