Clinging on in there

Well we knew we'd be without Bannan and there was the further blow of Hutchinson missing out, and we probably knew that Hooper wouldn't be risked back to back games after so long out. 

Combine that with the -undeserved- Villa defeat and there were folks saying the last embers of hope we're cooling and the promotion prospects the last wisps of smoke drifting off into the night air.

Of course this being Wedneaday , despite putting out a midfield which looked like it hadn't got a tackle in it we go out there and grab a terrific result, and rather than our lack of steel balls and bite in midfield being a huge miss it actuslly turned into a bloody positive in that we had players who's main strength is facing the opposition goal come in and do just that.  Which now means the dream, though a huge ask is still floating around .

552634100_2019-04-1001_13_01.png.4a970e6ab76745c415991c220b1eec59.png

Of course we now have two big tests coming up which might once more slap us back down. L**ds United and Norwich City - the top two. 

There will be some tiny consolation if we lose those games that it hampers the pigs. 

Knowing us we'll beat them and then lose to Bristol  and Preston.  That really would be the Wednesday way!

(And though we all want the best for Wednesday,let's be honest the thought of them getting automatic because of us would and reaching the promise and the untold riches would be a sickner. )

A season where genuinly every game till the end is vital. 

Who'd have thought it at Christmas time! 

Personally I hope we win those 15 available points. 

Would I accept a deal from the devil right now that we'd get the play offs and the pigs got automatic? Course I would. 

Could go to the wire. 

Every week the nerves are on edge. And just when we look sunk we claw back up. 

What a barmy season.

Given tonights performance, theres no reason why we can't be in the mix. Other teams will drop points. Honestly, got to the ground tonight, checked OT for the team, and saw everyone bitching about it, and someone say "anyone who goes tonight has my condolences", and I feared the worst, but, honestly, while the first half wasnt geat,they never caused us problems, and second half we were pretty bloody good. It ain't over till the fat b*stard has died of a heart attack so, LETS HAVE IT!

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

If we get the results we need from the remaining games we will have earned the right to be in the mix. Cross your fingers and toes!! 

If anyone sees me and notices my eyes watering it's 'cos me nads are crossed as well!

• Haha 4

First thing we had to do was bounce back after Saturday and we have and with an understrength team as well. Just goes to show whatever tools Bruce has at his disposal, he is a past master at picking up points in this division.

Onto Leeds now and I think we’ve got every chance of getting a result. Personally I think Hooper will be pivotal in the next two games. Always does well against Leeds and hopefully he can put one over his old club too?

I suspect we’ll be talking about the Vila game constantly at the end of the season whatever the outcome between now and then. I just think given our recent defensive record to concede 2 goals in injury time was obviously a massive blow to us :sad:

I posted ahead of Villa that a draw would be fine so long as we beat Forest.

In the words of Jim Bowen, look at what you could have won:-

Villa 61

Boro 61

Derby 60

Wednesday 60

2 minutes. 2 flippin minutes.

Funny old game, previously folk were moaning that draws against Millwall and Reading had cost us a play off place, now we are saying it’s the defeat by Villa. There’ll be more twists and turns to come. 

I still feel a team will be unlucky not to be in the playoffs if they get 73 points, that means we have to win all our remaining games. Is it possible? Yes. Can we do it? Unlikely. Do I fancy carol kirkwood? Who doesn’t. 

Nothing to lose! 

Lets just go go for it and see what happens, I’m so optimistic with Bruce at the helm, that missing out on the play-offs, getting a better squad together for next season and having a proper shot at the championship excites me too. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Think tank said:

Nothing to lose! 

Lets just go go for it and see what happens, I’m so optimistic with Bruce at the helm, that missing out on the play-offs, getting a better squad together for next season and having a proper shot at the championship excites me too. 

Exactly this seasons push has always been a free shot and no one honestly thought we had any chance back in December. 

If we fall this year I won’t be upset. Just gonna wish the summer goes quick so we can get back to it and really go for it next season. 

37 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

All depends if Bristol and villa drops points in the last few games, I don't think they will but it's the hope tht kills you

Well, Villa are meeting Bristol so one of them will drop points there, or perhaps best outcome is a draw. And Villa have got both Leeds and Norwich in their last two matches... depending on how things look for automatic promotion, those aren't easy games. Bristol have us (mwahaha) and Derby so absolutely chances of losing points there too.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Always think over there season you deserve to finish where you finish.
Since Bruce took over we have been good enough for a top 6 place but before that for parts of the season we deserved to be in the bottom 3.

So about 10th is right overall so far. 

I hope you are right :mellow:

image.png.bf4db8e6e1c1099e085d1847caea4b44.png

• Like 1

To be in with a shot (even if it's extremely remote) at this stage, is quite remarkable.

I think there's probably too much to do (the stars really need to align and them some), but it's great to still having something to play for.

It's a free hit. 

Amazing end to season. Was so unlucky not to beat Villa. If we did we would be sat in playoffs now!! Strange game football. 

I keep thinking if only the penalty was scored - this is not me blaming Fletcher as he has been on fire - but still I look back and think of the opportunities - the small tiny things like the penalty that could have completely changed the table! I don't think Villa would have got back in game at 2-1 to us- just my opinion.

Im confident for the rest of season and just enjoying the fact we do not have a boring mid-table end and we have something, although a small hope, to play for with 5 games left! 

Given their respective games, I think it's Villa rather than Bristol City that we are dreaming to catch.

There is at least some small snowball effect- that if we beat Norwich, it makes them more likely to need something going to Villa on the last day. Whether Norwich are done and dusted by the last day is crucial to Villa, and thus to everyone else. Think: champions Wolves losing at relegated Sunderland last year.

What that means- if we need Norwich to be in need on the last day- is that we need United to keep pushing them :(

Edited by sturutter