Hooper's Future

Combining his injury record over the last couple of seasons, his age, the fact that he's probably one of the higher earners at the club and the clubs situation with regards to FFP, we'd have to be absolutely crazy to offer him a new deal.

The only way I could see it happening would be on a reduced wage and given the rumoured interest he's had from America, I'd consider it very unlikely he'd accept such an offer.

Edited by TrickyTrev
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Minton said:

Yeah, because most 31 year old professional footballers will definitely accept a pay-as-you-play deal :dry:

If we offer him a new deal, it will be most likely a 2 year contract with reduced wages but increased appearance/goal bonuses. Both parties have to want to sign the deal, there will be plenty of clubs willing to take the chance on him.

No thanks.  Get rid

Great player. One of the best strikers I've seen at Wednesday when fit and firing.

Far too injury prone and agree would have to be incentivised based on appearances etc if we were to keep him - otherwise let him go.

Our tactic of employing good players who can only play half of the games in a season has failed. 

We need to ditch sentiment and focus on bringing in players who can play week in week out.

I'd prefer a player with slightly less ability who is always available than a talented crock. Success in this league is so much about having a well drilled, well organised team. And this is best achieved through consistently of selection. Not constant chopping and changing to accommodate endless injuries. 

• Like 1

He’s in a good place is Hooper. Prove his fitness and score a few goals and everyone will be clamouring for his signature on here. He’ll also have other interested parties in the UK and have some have said, will also have interested clubs out in the US with fantastic golf courses and less stressful working/training environments 

I’m jealous of him! 

8 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Our tactic of employing good players who can only play half of the games in a season has failed. 

We need to ditch sentiment and focus on bringing in players who can play week in week out.

I'd prefer a player with slightly less ability who is always available than a talented crock. Success in this league is so much about having a well drilled, well organised team. And this is best achieved through consistently of selection. Not constant chopping and changing to accommodate endless injuries. 

Agreed, add his wages and age to that, we need younger players

1 hour ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Any deal for Hooper or Lee would have to be on a  heavily waited pay as u play. basis. If this cant be agreed the risks are to costly with our FFP position. Remember when we signed Hooper it seemed to be tough to reach an agreement. 

We have to be realistic now, as good as both these players are there absence has cost us promotion imo they are getting older and less likely to shrug off fresh injuries never mind cope with coming back from the one that's kept them out for over a year 

I hope it's up to Bruce and his new medical team ( ie get rid of this one) to take sentiment out of this we cannot be up against the barriers of P&S and pay top wages for people to sit in the treatment room 

we need to recruit younger athletes  easy to say but that in itself difficult because we have picked up 2 loans from newcastle that look brilliant but are injury prone 

2 hours ago, OwlOnWheels said:

I don't think any of us expected Hooper to start on Saturday, maybe be on the bench and come on for 20 minutes or so.  Given that Bruce has put him straight in to the starting 11 as soon as he's anywhere near fit enough suggests to me that he see's the quality Hooper has got and he sees a future for him at Hillsborough.  Obviously there's the huge caveat that he stays fit, but if he does, the faith Bruce has shown at the weekend makes me think he'll definitely be offered a new deal.

Like many fans we would all love to see a fit Hooper playing and firing us to the Premier league but in reality he has missed most of this season and big chunks of every season we have had him.

He is one of the top earners at the club and unless he is willing to take a very big cut in wages I cannot see him being here next season.  

One of the best players we have had for a long time and really wish he had stayed fit.  However, no matter how much he proves his fitness over the next month, time to move on, let Bruce weave his magic and freshen the squad up as much as P&S allows.  For that reason alone Hoops needs to go I believe.  

If however he does get fit and the club find a way to afford him, and Bruce wants him and he signs another deal and I would not be unhappy

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

If offers come in for any of those actually under contract I don’t think the club have any option but to sell.

In those circumstances Hooper could be a relatively cheap option to remain if several others go for much needed transfer fees.

Guest wilyfox

Great player, but he's been here 3+1/2yrs and injured for 2 of them. Combine that with age & wage... Unless he does something special in our remaining games, I can't see an extension. I also think Bruce will want more pace and mobility up front next season than our current strikers offer. 

Guest everydays_wednesday
4 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

He's off to the U S of A.

Is that in America ?

I would offer him a reduced salary contract with a massive bonus clause for games played, goals scored and promotion (assuming we dont get promoted this season) :-)

Best striker we have when fit imho.

its a no from me. our retirement home is closed for ever surely. he is on near 30k a week over his time here he has been very poor value.  I expect he will go to a league whats less demanding poss celtic maybe mls . he wont get the terms he is here anywhere . 

If he plays well, stays fit and scores a few between now and end of season I think a fair few of the crystal ball twiddlers 'sell him' may change their tune - just saying.

Similar to those in vehement defence of Rhodes 'the messiah' when anyone with half a brain could see he wasn't the same player as before, after 6/12 months of dross, missed/ neshed penalties they flicked over to the 'waste of money' side but it took a while.

Let's see how he does before we start making rash judgements.