Thirty nine years ago...

51989025_2102953656462170_931532772474880000_o.jpg

Thirty-nine years ago on the 16th February, Chesterfield came back from Hillsborough with a point after Geoff Salmons drove in a late, late goal to make the scores three-all.

The photo from the lens of Alan Roe shows Alan Crawford netting our second goal. The drama continued after the final whistle in the players' tunnel, when Bill Green reportedly gripped Terry Curran by the throat to offer his observations on the day's events.

Anyone go to this one? 

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

51989025_2102953656462170_931532772474880000_o.jpg

Thirty-nine years ago on the 16th February, Chesterfield came back from Hillsborough with a point after Geoff Salmons drove in a late, late goal to make the scores three-all.

The photo from the lens of Alan Roe shows Alan Crawford netting our second goal. The drama continued after the final whistle in the players' tunnel, when Bill Green reportedly gripped Terry Curran by the throat to offer his observations on the day's events.

Anyone go to this one? 

Yes, heartbreaking for a 12y old. Especially as my Grandad was a spireite and didn't stop crowing all the way back.

I'm sure Ernie Moss played a big game for them aswell.

Although we had the last laugh didn't we that season with promotion ?

And didn't we also give the Millers a good towelling the week after the Chessie game.

Great days, thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yes, heartbreaking for a 12y old. Especially as my Grandad was a spireite and didn't stop crowing all the way back.

I'm sure Ernie Moss played a big game for them aswell.

Although we had the last laugh didn't we that season with promotion ?

And didn't we also give the Millers a good towelling the week after the Chessie game.

Great days, thanks for the reminder.

Chezzie fans grumbled that if it had been 3 points for a win that season they'd have gone up instead of us. But it wasn't, so tough luck!:ghoulguy:

1 hour ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

Chezzie fans grumbled that if it had been 3 points for a win that season they'd have gone up instead of us. But it wasn't, so tough luck!:ghoulguy:

But then in 81-82 the first season of 3pts we missed out but would've gone up if it had still been 2

• Like 1

I was there and was only talking about this the other day. They scored late on from a corner at the Kop end which wasn't a corner - it came off Rodney Fern last as he tried to get a shot in. He probably deserved it though as the whole kop spent the entire game singing "you just a bald headed b**tard" every time he got the ball :Sid:

As alluded to, wasn't the next game the one where we hammered toytown 5:0 with an Andy McCulloch hat trick??

I was at this game,we took a manure fan with us in the North Stand as I was majority of that season.

Hell of a game this,the ref played loads of injury time,Ernie Moss terrorised us,but that late corner was the killer,it should have been a goalkick,the ref was garbage and the equaliser sparked chaos with cushions from the North and and agro on the Lepp as the Owls fans broke through the police lines and vented their frustrations on the visiting fans

The game also marked the end of Owls favorite Roger Wyldes Wednesday Career as it was his last game in an Owls shirt and wed thought hed got the winner.The following week we bashed rovrum 5-0 at S6.

58 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I was there and was only talking about this the other day. They scored late on from a corner at the Kop end which wasn't a corner - it came off Rodney Fern last as he tried to get a shot in. He probably deserved it though as the whole kop spent the entire game singing "you just a bald headed b**tard" every time he got the ball :Sid:

As alluded to, wasn't the next game the one where we hammered toytown 5:0 with an Andy McCulloch hat trick??

Can't sing that song anymore as there are too many bald players by design!   The loudest I can remember was when Coventry knocked us out of the cup in the quarter final.  Left back (Burrows?) was prematurely bald and about 40,000 Owls serenaded him with that every time he went near the ball. Sadly, it didn't seem to put him off his game!