Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

7 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Obviously, no player has yet signed, but I find some of these rumours slightly disconcerting. What’s new, most of you will say, and it is true, it’s the time of year when I seem to spend most of my time bashing our transfer policy.

However, in recent times, our transfer policy has been questionable to say the least. Commenting on rumours is actually a pretty pointless activity, but hey, it’s a football forum, and that’s what we do.

Trust Bruce, he knows what he’s doing, is a cry I hear a lot, in fact I heard the same about, Jos, and Carlos, and many so called better judges, than someone on a football forum. It matters not, all are capable of making bad decisions, and in recent times, we’ve made more bad decisions than good. 

I liken our situation to the one post Wembley, we are not far off, and only need a few strategic signings to complete the jigsaw. 

Yeah we finished twelfth, but our form since we got rid of the totally inept Dutchman, has been promotion form. We don’t need much, maybe 5-6 targeted signings, in the areas where we are weak. Young fresh legs, possibly loans from top flight clubs, was the supposed brief from the manager. No more signing older players, or players with dubious injury records. A policy I totally concur with It’s just what’s needed, and if it doesn’t work out, we won’t be stuck with them. I would make the exception for Hector, as we need that experience in his position, and he has proven to be a reliable performer. The others should come from the ranks of the big clubs U23 set up.

Now we are linked with Börner, Odubajo, and Powell, none of whom fit the stated criteria. No, none of them have yet signed, but when I see fans getting excited about these potential arrivals, I do wonder if they have short memories. Given our current financial predicament, it’s more imperative that we avoid the mistakes of the post Wembley recruitment fiasco. Rant over

I think the issue with our previous transfer dealings, post Wembley, was the type of players we were signing. 

They were all players (with the exception of Reach) who were signed based on what they'd previously done. Not one of them was signed with potential in mind. They were players who had performed at course and distance. 

This of course meant, we were signing players with high premiums and little resale value.

The three players we've been linked with, are all at an age where they can improve, and if we get them all on free transfers, there is some serious potential resale value in all three of them...especially Powell and Odubajo. 

I'd be concerned about the injury records of both of them...however, like as been mentioned before, both of those players wouldn't be available on a free transfer, if they'd not had some issues along the way. 

For what it's worth, I think Powell would be an unbelievable transfer to pull off. Only last season, Brighton were seriously in for him, had agreed a fee with Wigan, but Powell wanted to stay and get Wigan promoted. He's a player who can definitely play at the highest level. 

52 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Players coming out of contract will either be injured or crap. 

Or they are good players that have done well and know they can get a better deal elsewhere therefore allowing their contracts to run down, for example Willis at Coventry and Powell.

Personally I don’t see the worry some are having. Even with the signings of Odubajo & Börner I imagine we will still try to sign Hector.

At LCB we would have Thorniley, Van Aken and Börner. I think Bruce will give Van Aken a chance because he has potential at his age & I wouldn’t be surprised if there are plans for Thorniley to go on a loan as he really could do with a full season.

RCB has been an issue as we only really have Lees. Iorfa has stated he wants to be a centre back so he’d fall to be cover for Lees. Hector can also play here or LCB so it would work perfectly. 

That would then leave Odubajo and Palmer for RB. Palmer is much improved and a great squad player to have. But for me he is still too lazy at times, lacks anticipation & concentration. Odubajo is an improvement.

As for Nick Powell, he seems more like a Kieran Lee player to me. Something we missed so much at times by not having a back up. Even if you get just 30 games out of him it’s more than Jones & Abdi combined. 

With the the number and frequency of games these days there will always be a need for rotation. The intensity is much higher than it used to be too. A squad with quality and potential, all playing 30 games or so gives you more energy. Players don’t need to be able to play 40 to 50 games, in an ideal world you’d love to have 11 players all capable of that but it’s unrealsitic.

18 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Personally I don’t see the worry some are having. Even with the signings of Odubajo & Börner I imagine we will still try to sign Hector.

At LCB we would have Thorniley, Van Aken and Börner. I think Bruce will give Van Aken a chance because he has potential at his age & I wouldn’t be surprised if there are plans for Thorniley to go on a loan as he really could do with a full season.

RCB has been an issue as we only really have Lees. Iorfa has stated he wants to be a centre back so he’d fall to be cover for Lees. Hector can also play here or LCB so it would work perfectly. 

That would then leave Odubajo and Palmer for RB. Palmer is much improved and a great squad player to have. But for me he is still too lazy at times, lacks anticipation & concentration. Odubajo is an improvement.

As for Nick Powell, he seems more like a Kieran Lee player to me. Something we missed so much at times by not having a back up. Even if you get just 30 games out of him it’s more than Jones & Abdi combined. 

With the the number and frequency of games these days there will always be a need for rotation. The intensity is much higher than it used to be too. A squad with quality and potential, all playing 30 games or so gives you more energy. Players don’t need to be able to play 40 to 50 games, in an ideal world you’d love to have 11 players all capable of that but it’s unrealsitic.

Agreed.

If the Odubajo & Börner rumours are true then Bruce is looking to bring some much needed flexibility into his defensive options & formations.

Palmer has shown he's capable in both full back positions, Iorfa can play right back or centre back, Börner centre back, left back or defensive midfield & Odubajo right back, right to wing back, left back, left wing back.

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

While I do agree, our transfer dealings should be in better hands now, with Bruce at the helm, you only have to look at what the Villa fans say about some of his dealings, to realise he too can make mistakes. Carlos made some good signings in year one, but lost the plot in year two. Probably Gray’s signings have been the best value for money. Even Jos has a pretty impressive CV, bringing in Michael Hector, an inspired move. To be honest, I agree with most of what you say, and I’m not too pessimistic at the moment. However, Steve Bruce says he’d like to bring in 5 or 6, and we will be targeting the development squads of the big six. That’s great, it’s exactly what we need. If we bring in Börner, Odubajo and Powell, plus step up the pursuit of Hector, then that would leave room for only one or two youngsters, one of whom surely need to be a left back. Guess what I’m saying, is either this is the scenario, or Bruce is actually planning a far bigger overhaul. Then we are into double figure recruitment again, which quite frankly isn’t needed Mistakes of the past, and all that

tbh if we bring in the german guy, and the one from brentford with lees still here, do you see hector returning?

Has anyone seen a credible rumour about Powell being linked to us?

Had a quick look but couldn’t see anything. A few Cardiff & Boro fans seem to want him but not really seen anything linking him to anyone.

11 minutes ago, 19owl08 said:

Had a quick look but couldn’t see anything. A few Cardiff & Boro fans seem to want him but not really seen anything linking him to anyone.

I was told by a guy who is usually pretty reliable yesterday that we are close to signing him, although there is also interest from one of the play off teams.

47 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Id love us to sign Borner , what a muck name that is. 

We've got a Borner, a massive Borner

I just don't think you understand

Blunts might have a diick, a very tiny diick

But we've got a massive Borner

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU
  • Haha 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

43 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I was told by a guy who is usually pretty reliable yesterday that we are close to signing him, although there is also interest from one of the play off teams.

Wouldn’t be surprised if that other team is West Brom. 

Guest Ash76

If we’re after a left back we could do a lot worse than Oviedo, just had a great gMe for Sunderland 

5 hours ago, 19owl08 said:

The Penguin has said its happening 

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

He’s not been anywhere near the training ground as yet.  Just saying. UTO 

• Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
12 hours ago, 19owl08 said:

Iorfa a reserve?  Ha ha ha