Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

But then where do you play Reach

Powell and Bannan would be an excellent partnership, with Hutchinson an option aswell , If you get a fit Keiren Lee back we could be talking about one of the best midfielders in the division again 

Gaffer would have some serious options, add a couple of wingers and were good to go 

Yeah maybe if we had Messi in front of them. Hutchinson, Lee and Powell, all in the same midfield, that’s far too much of a risk

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah maybe if we had Messi in front of them. Hutchinson, Lee and Powell, all in the same midfield, that’s far too much of a risk

Yeah, probably wouldn't disagree with you 

Was talking more about options rather than having them all in the same line up

Just makes you thinking. Wanted us to sign Powell when he was available from Man Utd, and Dack when he was looking for way out of Gilligham. Perhaps Jack Byrne from Shamrock Rovers would prove as just a shrewed signing.

14 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Heard from someone who works at Wednesday (not a player or coaching staff) that we’ve enquired about Ryan Leonard from Millwall as competition for Hutch. Never heard of him and don’t remember anyone outstanding when we’ve played Millwall. Any thoughts?

Came to Millwall via Southend and Sheffield Utd: Wilder signed him but soon binned him off.

Highly rated by Southend and Millwall, no idea what happened at the stain.

• Thanks 1

Obviously, no player has yet signed, but I find some of these rumours slightly disconcerting. What’s new, most of you will say, and it is true, it’s the time of year when I seem to spend most of my time bashing our transfer policy.

However, in recent times, our transfer policy has been questionable to say the least. Commenting on rumours is actually a pretty pointless activity, but hey, it’s a football forum, and that’s what we do.

Trust Bruce, he knows what he’s doing, is a cry I hear a lot, in fact I heard the same about, Jos, and Carlos, and many so called better judges, than someone on a football forum. It matters not, all are capable of making bad decisions, and in recent times, we’ve made more bad decisions than good. 

I liken our situation to the one post Wembley, we are not far off, and only need a few strategic signings to complete the jigsaw. 

Yeah we finished twelfth, but our form since we got rid of the totally inept Dutchman, has been promotion form. We don’t need much, maybe 5-6 targeted signings, in the areas where we are weak. Young fresh legs, possibly loans from top flight clubs, was the supposed brief from the manager. No more signing older players, or players with dubious injury records. A policy I totally concur with It’s just what’s needed, and if it doesn’t work out, we won’t be stuck with them. I would make the exception for Hector, as we need that experience in his position, and he has proven to be a reliable performer. The others should come from the ranks of the big clubs U23 set up.

Now we are linked with Börner, Odubajo, and Powell, none of whom fit the stated criteria. No, none of them have yet signed, but when I see fans getting excited about these potential arrivals, I do wonder if they have short memories. Given our current financial predicament, it’s more imperative that we avoid the mistakes of the post Wembley recruitment fiasco. Rant over

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

For anybody complaining that we are (rumoured to be) signing layers with questionable injury records...

Why do you think most of these become free agents?

The three we’ve been linked with have all rejected new contracts to be fair 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Obviously, no player has yet signed, but I find some of these rumours slightly disconcerting. What’s new, most of you will say, and it is true, it’s the time of year when I seem to spend most of my time bashing our transfer policy.

This is the time of the year when you shine Guru!! Whilst I don’t always agree with your posts / views on players, I do admire the strength of your convictions on  these topics! (Btw I agreed with you on not needing Rhodes)

in terms of transfers this time round I think we may well be forced to take a low cost gamble / sign players that are from better value markets to plug some of the gaps. 

In terms of the two linked players that that have injuries in past, both of these without injuries are way out of our budget and at an age where they can be resold if recapture previous form and prove fitness. More importantly as free transfers they are less expensive gambles. As we’ve seen with other signings, everyone is a gamble irrespective of injury record or past form there is no guarantee that a player won’t break down (abdi/Matias) after being signed or not fit in with squad etc. 

The German CB I’m assuming is allow cost, low risk solid player with experience that can likely play either of the CB slots or LB according to online sites. 

Either way we don’t need much as you said so a few early low cost signings in allows us to focus on the important areas of our wide other areas too. 

19 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

However, in recent times, our transfer policy has been questionable to say the least. Commenting on rumours is actually a pretty pointless activity, but hey, it’s a football forum, and that’s what we do.

Trust Bruce, he knows what he’s doing, is a cry I hear a lot, in fact I heard the same about, Jos, and Carlos, and many so called better judges, than someone on a football forum. It matters not, all are capable of making bad decisions, and in recent times, we’ve made more bad decisions than good. 

I liken our situation to the one post Wembley, we are not far off, and only need a few strategic signings to complete the jigsaw. 

Yeah we finished twelfth, but our form since we got rid of the totally inept Dutchman, has been promotion form. We don’t need much, maybe 5-6 targeted signings, in the areas where we are weak. Young fresh legs, possibly loans from top flight clubs, was the supposed brief from the manager. No more signing older players, or players with dubious injury records. A policy I totally concur with It’s just what’s needed, and if it doesn’t work out, we won’t be stuck with them. I would make the exception for Hector, as we need that experience in his position, and he has proven to be a reliable performer. The others should come from the ranks of the big clubs U23 set up.

Now we are linked with Börner, Odubajo, and Powell, none of whom fit the stated criteria. No, none of them have yet signed, but when I see fans getting excited about these potential arrivals, I do wonder if they have short memories. Given our current financial predicament, it’s more imperative that we avoid the mistakes of the post Wembley recruitment fiasco. Rant over

You seriously need to chill out. You are stressing over rumours. Have a little trust in Bruce and his staff to do what is best for the club. Börner was wanted by Norwich last summer, they were willing to pay money for him. I’m going to guess that Daniel Farke has a far greater knowledge of the German leagues than either myself or you do? As for Odubajo I would have agreed with your comments on him if this was last summer but the guy has come off the back of playing 35 games in the 18/19 season and on the occasions I saw him he looked more than competent. I think the Powell rumour is wide of the mark though. It’s actually nice to see us doing our business early. I 100% trust Bruce to build a capable squad, after all he’s done it multiple times already.

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The difference between Carlos/Jos and Bruce is like chalk and cheese. We know Bruce is adept at cobbling sides together that get promoted from this division and this is what we all want. 

The EFL won’t let DC spend the money he wants to spend at the moment so Bruce is looking at a slightly different market to the one he’d like to work in I’m sure.

Odubajo and Powell have worked with him before and been successful with him. Did they have questionable fitness records then? Börner is coming from a league where several players have come from in recent seasons and gone on to flourish at our level. Mid-Late Twenties all of them which probably is the right age for us for now!

The Youth you are asking for will probably come to us on loan from the Prem as you have suggested. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the blend of the side once it comes together because as you say we don’t need a massive overhaul and we won’t have one, I’m sure.

That said I’m expecting Reach, Joao, Winnall and maybe Forrestieri to be sold to give Bruce a little more wriggle room but come the start of next season I’m sure we’ll be ready plus I’m expecting at least one of Grant, Shaw and Waldock to make the breakthrough next season so the Youth you’re asking for could yet come from within our own environment?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Considering FFP, we were always shopping in the free transfer market. The players we're linked with are experienced and do think we need a balance.

Still think we'll bring in 5 x premier league loans, which suggests under 23's.

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

And some have no respect for your opinions

Guest gizowl
36 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Got to agree mate, a bit worrying that we seem to be looking in the bargain basement on all fronts, the only one I think is worth a punt is Willis from Coventry, young strong and quick, only 24 and made 200 league appearances, other clubs interested tells you something, taking a risk on the odd one of the others with their injury records OK, but all of them is a big gamble, as for the German guy where the description says he gives a lot of free kicks away. mmm

51 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Understand what your saying but we don't even know what system Bruce will favour once he has some of his own recruits on board, on that basis its difficult to second guess how he will nit the team together.