Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

Just now, Mycroft said:

Without them this season we have struggled, if we had had them all season firing on all cylinders then we could have finished much higher.

Have we? I thought we did pretty well without them for large parts of Bruce's tenure.

Under Bruce, Forestieri played 249 and Hooper played 318 out of a possible 1,600+ minutes.

Without them featuring a great deal, we still showed playoff-chasing form of 1.61 points per game and we actually won fewer points per game when Forestieri or Hooper featured (1.23 and 1.17 points per game respectively).

To say that without them "we will be in the doodah big style" seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Have we? I thought we did pretty well without them for large parts of Bruce's tenure.

Under Bruce, Forestieri played 249 and Hooper played 318 out of a possible 1,600+ minutes.

Without them featuring a great deal, we still showed playoff-chasing form of 1.61 points per game and we actually won fewer points per game when Forestieri or Hooper featured (1.23 and 1.17 points per game respectively).

To say that without them "we will be in the doodah big style" seems a bit hyperbolic to me.

There's wrong with a little hyperbole  (or should it be a lot), honestly, feel we are weakened if we don't replace them with players of the same quality.

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, there is no stand out striker of that quality, and age profile, in the lower leagues. There’s a few like Taylor, who have a bit of quality, but perhaps a little too old to step up. Also a few very young prospects, who might be worth taking a punt on for the future. Those are probably not yet ready, and if they are, they will be snapped up for big money by top flight clubs, who can afford to take that sort of a punt

There are players in lower leagues worth taking a punt on , Lowe at Portsmouth, maddison at Peterborough, boateng at Exeter theres three off top of my head all at a good age and have attributes we need in the side I'm sure theres more if I had a good look I know people mentioned guy at Mansfield (Hamilton ? ) can't think of his name and Aribo at Charlton but it looks like he could be on his way to arsenal or Germany 

The players are still there you just have to look a little bit harder 

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The stats can be a bit misleading though, under Bruce so far, not much attention has been paid to the attacking aspect of our game. It’s mainly about getting the defence sorted out, which to be fair, he’s done. Basically, it’s been about to hit it up to Fletcher and look for knock downs. That’s a bit basic, and certainly won’t suit the likes of Forestieri and Joao

4 minutes ago, westy365owl said:

There are players in lower leagues worth taking a punt on , Lowe at Portsmouth, maddison at Peterborough, boateng at Exeter theres three off top of my head all at a good age and have attributes we need in the side I'm sure theres more if I had a good look I know people mentioned guy at Mansfield (Hamilton ? ) can't think of his name and Aribo at Charlton but it looks like he could be on his way to arsenal or Germany 

The players are still there you just have to look a little bit harder 

Indeed, but my post was referring to finding a striker like Callum Wilson. Without raising some money, we probably couldn’t afford Lowe. Is Boetang out of contract, he looks a good player

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

There's wrong with a little hyperbole  (or should it be a lot), honestly, feel we are weakened if we don't replace them with players of the same quality.

I suppose we're weakened from our hypothetical best, but whether it be due to injury, suspension, or loss of form, we've not often achieved it in reality since Carvalhal's first season.

I rate both players, but they've not been important players for us for some time now.

If Forestieri were to leave, I'd back Bruce to reinvest the fee into building a stronger overall squad.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Indeed, but my post was referring to finding a striker like Callum Wilson. Without raising some money, we probably couldn’t afford Lowe. Is Boetang out of contract, he looks a good player

He's turned down a contract offer there by looks of it so would be a free next month and I'd definitely someone I would be looking at looks like a younger Diame with regards Lowe I think we may have some money to spend all be it not a great deal but is a new forward the area to spend it on , this looks like the window where we will have to get creative would winnall be an attractive prospect to teams in league 1 and if so would something like a swap deal be a crazy idea ? Or a deal where we look to buy someone like Lowe in return offer them thornley or wildsmith on loan for the season something a bit different like that may be how were going to deal this summer 

If we was to sell FF for 14m , solving majority if not all of  the immediate FFP drama and replace him with Nick Powell on a free ...  that would be some serious business from Wednesday 

A year or 18month ago id of said our team was massively reliant on FF, for me now he’s more than replaceable and we probably should sell while he’s worth a few quid 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, 19owl08 said:

I get he scored a few goals and became an instant hero but in all seriousness his defending is worrying at times. If Odubajo comes Iorfa won’t be first choice. 

Odubajo can play in either full back position and on the wing. I think you’ll be surprised.

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Did Bruce say he'd only be signing young players?

No he said we needed some younger fresh legs but didn't specify that's all we would be signing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Did Bruce say he'd only be signing young players?

No, it was the clubs stated aim as we were lingering among the bottom clubs under Jos. I can remember it clearly

4 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Why?

He's 34 years old. And his injury record whilst been with us has been really poor for a goalkeeper. I keep saying it, but goalkeepers very rarely get injured. Westwood misses far too many games for a goalkeeper. 

He'll not be stopping for peanuts, and everybody knows we are in the process of cutting our cloth. 

I think it would be wholly reckless to offer Westwood anything other than a one year deal. 

If he can get a better deal (or more to the point, a longer deal) elsewhere, then fair enough. But we HAVE to learn our lessons from the past 2-3 years, and avert the risk of having big earners sat in the treatment room for season after season. And nobody can deny, that with Westwood, that is a very real concern. 

Whilst I agree we have to be careful offering long term contracts to players going forward I would say on the other hand how much do you think it would cost to bring in a keeper as good as Westwood? If he does leave we would need to bring in a keeper and top class ones (as Westwood is) don’t come cheap. Personally I feel Westwood deserves a 2 year contact. How many clean sheets did he keep in the 2nd half of the season? He didn’t actually miss that many games out injured did he? The few players we have been linked with this summer all seem quite injury prone, do you think the club will only be giving them 1 year deals? I doubt these players would except them. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Whilst I agree we have to be careful offering long term contracts to players going forward I would say on the other hand how much do you think it would cost to bring in a keeper as good as Westwood? If he does leave we would need to bring in a keeper and top class ones (as Westwood is) don’t come cheap. Personally I feel Westwood deserves a 2 year contact. How many clean sheets did he keep in the 2nd half of the season? He didn’t actually miss that many games out injured did he? The few players we have been linked with this summer all seem quite injury prone, do you think the club will only be giving them 1 year deals? I doubt these players would except them. 

Yes, I’d have to agree with this