Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Whilst I agree we have to be careful offering long term contracts to players going forward I would say on the other hand how much do you think it would cost to bring in a keeper as good as Westwood? If he does leave we would need to bring in a keeper and top class ones (as Westwood is) don’t come cheap. Personally I feel Westwood deserves a 2 year contact. How many clean sheets did he keep in the 2nd half of the season? He didn’t actually miss that many games out injured did he? The few players we have been linked with this summer all seem quite injury prone, do you think the club will only be giving them 1 year deals? I doubt these players would except them. 

Seen this a few times, so sorry for quoting you.  Can anybody remind me how much we paid for him?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Seen this a few times, so sorry for quoting you.  Can anybody remind me how much we paid for him?

You know what I mean :tongue: the wages just to get a keeper of the standard of Westwood imo would be very high and I would be surprised if we managed to pick one up on a free transfer. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

2 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I think he cost twice as much as Bannan but half as much as Hutch! 

Bargains are there just not always obvious without hindsight. I’d love Westwood to sign but if he doesn’t I’m sure Bruce will be afforded the chance to sign an adequate replacement.

Vorm is on a free I think from spurs as an example that my limited knowledge would highlight.  

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think he cost twice as much as Bannan but half as much as Hutch! 

Bargains are there just not always obvious without hindsight. I’d love Westwood to sign but if he doesn’t I’m sure Bruce will be afforded the chance to sign an adequate replacement.

Vorm is on a free I think from spurs as an example that my limited knowledge would highlight.  

But how much do you think his wages would be compared to Westwood? Personally I think they would be quite a bit more. 

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, it was the clubs stated aim as we were lingering among the bottom clubs under Jos. I can remember it clearly

Sorry to linger on this point, but I'm struggling to work this one out.

Who at the club stated that we'd only be signing young players?

Luhukay?

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

But how much do you think his wages would be compared to Westwood? Personally I think they would be quite a bit more. 

Not sure? He may (like Westwood at point we signed him) want to be a first choice again rather than back up. 

Im sure there are lots of available options that Bruce is aware of, either as full transfer or loaned out youngster.  

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Sorry to linger on this point, but I'm struggling to work this one out.

Who at the club stated that we'd only be signing young players?

Luhukay?

No, and I’ve no idea, but it was when Jos was blooding the youngsters, possibly from DC himself

Just now, gurujuan said:

No, and I’ve no idea, but it was when Jos was blooding the youngsters, possibly from DC himself

OK, fair enough.

I'd suggest that our plans have probably altered somewhat with the appointment of Bruce, though.

He's said he wants to lower the average age of the squad (which, let's face it, shouldn't be too hard) but I'll be surprised if all his signings are youngsters.

1 hour ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

If United really want to sign him for 14m and it's not a load of crap, I hope to god we accept it, ludicrous. 

Don't say that. We should be telling them how upset we would be if they took our irreplaceable star player at such a low valuation.

2 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

If United really want to sign him for 14m and it's not a load of crap, I hope to god we accept it, ludicrous. 

Even assuming the Blunts do want to sign Forestieri, that article states that £14 million is the asking price by Chansiri, not the sum that they are offering. It would be a bit strange turning down an offer that WE (the club) have asked for.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What position is Nick Powell?

Nixon says he can’t see us keeping Forestieri and signing Powell.

He's a no.10 

I can not see too many Championship clubs offering two years to Westwood. He does have some injury issues he is on a very good wage and is 34 years old.

I suspect with us offering only one year there are some concerns on fitness front. Probably give him one year with option of extra year.

Guest wilyfox
28 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Wouldn’t see him as a direct replacement for Forestieri then.

They play the same position a different way. Powell is a midfield 10, FF is a striker 10. Obviously people will dispute that and say FF is better outwide blah blah, but we know he prefers to play through the middle. 

Nick Powell would be more effective on a more consistent basis than Forestieri with the type of football Bruce wants to play.

Id class it as an upgrade. Even more so if we sign him on a free and sell FF for 10mill+

No brainer for me

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FlyingOwl said:

Nick Powell would be more effective on a more consistent basis than Forestieri with the type of football Bruce wants to play.

Id class it as an upgrade. Even more so if we sign him on a free and sell FF for 10mill+

No brainer for me

Spot on, we need a settled formation and starting line up to be successful.  Sadly after 3 seasons we still debate where Forestieri should play, and if he’s consistent enough. 

43 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What position is Nick Powell?

Nixon says he can’t see us keeping Forestieri and signing Powell.

He can play almost any attacking position. He played as striker, attacking midfielder, central midfielder, winger. Wigan used him mostly behind their main striker.

It was Bruce who said that we need to bring age of the squad down, and add younger legs especially on the wings.