Official Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

4 minutes ago, malek said:

He can play almost any attacking position. He played as striker, attacking midfielder, central midfielder, winger. Wigan used him mostly behind their main striker.

It was Bruce who said that we need to bring age of the squad down, and add younger legs especially on the wings.

He did say that, but DC said that we would only be signing younger players now. Of course that has little to do with Powell, who just about sneaks into the right age bracket He is a different type of player to Forestieri, who likes to run at opponents, whereas Powell is looking to make a pass. They are sufficiently different, to be able to play together. Much would depend on who was behind, and who was up front

The Diamé at Hull, at least in that final was a physical player who got box to box. I watched a very different and lethargic player for Newcastle playing as a no10. 

From what I’ve seen of Powell he’s more of a playmaker in the final third. Better at the no10 than Diamé but not as good as doing the dirty work.

Edited by Bluesteel

Just had a look at a video of him from last season. He’s got a kind of nonchalant swagger that still produces results and he sure can head a ball too (on YouTube, in League One).

It’s a yes from me.

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He did say that, but DC said that we would only be signing younger players now. Of course that has little to do with Powell, who just about sneaks into the right age bracket He is a different type of player to Forestieri, who likes to run at opponents, whereas Powell is looking to make a pass. They are sufficiently different, to be able to play together. Much would depend on who was behind, and who was up front

Agree with everything you said. Think that Powell could make us a better side then Forestieri did, although he is not that much of a "match winner", but few in this league are. Hope what I just wrote makes sense.

57 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He wants him for the same role is what I mean.

Well, that was my point. They are different type of players, playing different role in different formation.

But I guess that Powell could be just as influential player for us as Diame was for Hull back then.

7 hours ago, MichaelSwfc1867 said:

Jordan Hugill available at West Ham, scored a decent amount for Preston that led to his move to the premier league but never really got a chance. See he made 37 appearances for Boro on loan last season which doesn’t look great on paper. 

Bruce could get him firing again in this league but I’m aware we’re top heavy on the striking department and he’s likely to command a fee albeit WHU are prepared to take a loss and he’s willing to take a wage cut. Was he a one season wonder at Preston I’m not sure 

I am not sure which pacey forwards will be available from leading Premiership clubs on loan but we will be in for one of them. It would not be a surprise to see us go for Dwight Gayle whose record at Championship level is good.

Leicester are reportedly going to spend big this summer which may mean one or two of their young players who are currently on bench may not be in matchday 18 so could be available. This could apply to someone like Harvey Barnes who was excellent at Championship level.

4 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Whilst I agree we have to be careful offering long term contracts to players going forward I would say on the other hand how much do you think it would cost to bring in a keeper as good as Westwood? If he does leave we would need to bring in a keeper and top class ones (as Westwood is) don’t come cheap. Personally I feel Westwood deserves a 2 year contact. How many clean sheets did he keep in the 2nd half of the season? He didn’t actually miss that many games out injured did he? The few players we have been linked with this summer all seem quite injury prone, do you think the club will only be giving them 1 year deals? I doubt these players would except them. 

I understand your argument, but since he's returned from the abyss, he's missed four games through injury. 

He's played in 19 out of the 23 games he was available for. That's only just above 80% of games. 

Last season, he started in under 40% of the games, and had to come off injured in one of those games. The season before, he had a good run, but still managed to complete less than 90% of the games. In the 15/16 season, he either missed or failed to complete 90 minutes in 14 games...missing nearly 30% of the season. 

The stats emphasise the risks. The club are very wary of offering Westwood a long term deal, and seeing him sit a significant amount of time of the contract out in the stands, like he has done throughout the majority of his time here.

I keep saying it...but goalkeepers, generally, don't miss games through injury. Westwood misses games on a regular basis, over a number of seasons. 

I don't argue the fact that it'll cost a fair bit of money to get better than Westwood. In fact, I don't think we'll get better than Westwood. However, although a fantastic goalkeeper is a great commodity to have, you can still be very successful in this division with a steady goalkeeper. Look at Norwich with Tim Krul. Leeds spent half a season when they were dominating the division with a very average rookie goalkeeper in goal. 

If Westwood chooses to chase the money, I've no doubt Bruce will have alternatives up his sleeve. 

At the end of the day, no club should be held to ransom by any player...nevermind a club edging perilously close to P&S limits, with a player who perhaps has only one or two seasons left at this level.  

30 minutes ago, Quist said:

I am not sure which pacey forwards will be available from leading Premiership clubs on loan but we will be in for one of them. It would not be a surprise to see us go for Dwight Gayle whose record at Championship level is good.

Leicester are reportedly going to spend big this summer which may mean one or two of their young players who are currently on bench may not be in matchday 18 so could be available. This could apply to someone like Harvey Barnes who was excellent at Championship level.

VArdyyyyyyyy

So with the window opening this Thursday can we expect the likes of Borner and Odubajo to be announced then? Hope so and if so maybe we can get another one or two sorted before then. It would be good for players to have their futures sorted before going on their jollies. Plus it shows we're getting our house in order.

6 minutes ago, Junk Smuggler said:

So with the window opening this Thursday can we expect the likes of Borner and Odubajo to be announced then? Hope so and if so maybe we can get another one or two sorted before then. It would be good for players to have their futures sorted before going on their jollies. Plus it shows we're getting our house in order.

It'd be nice but wouldn't expect it.

1 minute ago, Junk Smuggler said:

Just concerned about the short window and amount of business we have to do.

Fingers crossed!

I don't think there is going to be as much change around as some people think, I can see one or two under contract being moved on, but providing the 3 out of contract sign up, I reckon we might only bring in 4 or 5 at the most, as long as it's quality over quantity.